U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Meanwhile, in the real world congress passes a huge spending bill and "bailout" ($600 you ungrateful peons!). Pig feeding at an all time high, hardly surprising after the CARES act farce. The bill ended up at over 5000 pages (> all 7 harry Potter books) and was available to the congressional member a few hours before the vote.

... and then this happened.

Sadly this is the reality of divided government in America, I guess 🤷‍♂️

I agree it's bad though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, choffer said:

There are still some good people in US politics. 

I'd hold off on the hope & joy. This is all insider trading and backslapping. Here's hoping that Padilla (who has a long political career in Cali) as the first Latino senator from that state (~40% population) turns out to be a reasonably good egg.

Newsom is a clown and I find it distasteful how these guys play the "I care card' via this means. 

Trump has been busy pardoning people today, including two former Republican congressmen convicted of financial crimes (Chris Collins and Duncan 'The Vaping Congressman' Hunter) and four Blackwater security guards who murdered 14 unarmed Iraqi civilians.

EDIT:

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trump has been busy pardoning people today, including two former Republican congressmen convicted of financial crimes (Chris Collins and Duncan 'The Vaping Congressman' Hunter) and four Blackwater security guards who murdered 14 unarmed Iraqi civilians.

EDIT:

The best people.

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

EDIT:

What really boils my piss about this is that Eric Prince the head of Blackwater Mercenaries Inc. at the time, is, oh yeah, Betsy Devos's brother. 

But you get Trump supporters going on about inane conspiracies that aren't real but they can't see the obvious nepotism in these kinds of things.

• Like 2

2020 strikes again! I agree with Trump on something!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55420366

Congress found plenty of money for foreign countries, lobbyists and special interests, while sending the bare minimum to the American people who need it. It wasn't their fault. It was China's fault.

"I am asking Congress to amend this bill and increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2,000 or $4,000 for a couple.

"I'm also asking Congress to immediately get rid of the wasteful and unnecessary items from this legislation and to send me a suitable bill, or else the next administration will have to deliver a Covid relief package."

He also says "the next administration." He's conceded!

3 hours ago, villakram said:

I'd hold off on the hope & joy. This is all insider trading and backslapping. Here's hoping that Padilla (who has a long political career in Cali) as the first Latino senator from that state (~40% population) turns out to be a reasonably good egg.

Newsom is a clown and I find it distasteful how these guys play the "I care card' via this means. 

Newsom is still recuperating from being married to Kimberly Guilfoyle, so you've got to cut him some slack.

As for Padilla, he must be relatively unknown to you if you haven't found reason to suspect him of eating children yet.B)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

2020 strikes again! I agree with Trump on something!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55420366

He also says "the next administration." He's conceded!

You forgot the "which may be me" part.

Trump sure does know how to screw up the political narrative. It's interesting that Schumer and Nancy immediately conceded. Let's see what the republicans do. 

Paycheck protection starts lapsing on the 26th. I'm not sure on the rent/mortgage moratorium status nationally but it was also initially ending on the 26th too and .gov funding runs out on the 28th. How hilarious that the critters might be forced to work over xmas.

As I understand, the president has 10 days after a bill is placed on his desk to veto it, before congress can super-majority it through. The power of the bully pulpit and the pocket veto. Fun times.

Edited by villakram

Mayor says town ‘not racist’ after allowing whites-only church in Minnesota

The leaders of a small town in Minnesota have agreed to let a whites-only religious group move into their local church, despite outcry from the small community and tens of thousands online.

Officials in the town of Murdock, Minn., voted earlier this month to let the Asatru Folk Assembly (AFA) transform an abandoned Lutheran church into a new place of worship. Town leaders voted anonymously on the measure amid fierce public backlash, and insisted that the community does not support racism in any form.

The AFA has been accused of pushing white supremacy, and is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. It also explicitly describes itself as a “warrior” religion of “white people” from northern Europe, according to its own website.

AFA board member Allen Turnage has said the church would not admit a Black person “because they’re not of Northern European descent.”

Murdock leaders say they approved a permit for the church in order to avoid a long legal fight over religious liberty.

“Because we’ve approved this permit, all of a sudden everyone feels this town is racist, and that isn’t the case,” Mayor Craig Kavanagh told NBC News. “Just because we voted yes doesn’t mean we’re racist.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/7537601/church-white-supremacy-minnesota-racist/

Not super sad that the ancestors of these people decided to leave Scandinavia 150 years or so ago.

3 hours ago, sne said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7537601/church-white-supremacy-minnesota-racist/

Not super sad that the ancestors of these people decided to leave Scandinavia 150 years or so ago.

I was in  gas station in Central Minnesota in 1991. They has a rotating pin display case with a swastika pin among the other normal ones. Pretty shocking. They also eat raw meat sandwiches so maybe that explains things.

On 18/12/2020 at 19:11, blandy said:
On 18/12/2020 at 19:07, LondonLax said:

Putin is retiring

He can't.

I need to revisit that “he can’t “

While Trump is busy Pardoning his accomplices, Putin’s going one further.

Vladimir Putin has signed legislation that will grant former presidents a pardon for life after they leave the Kremlin.

The bill reportedly means they will be exempt from any from any form of police questioning or searches and arrests.

The legislation follows sweeping changes to the Russian political system initiated by Putin this year that, among other things, allow him to run for two more six-year terms in the Kremlin if he chooses. He had been due to step down in 2024.

Donnie must be so jealous

Â