U.S. Politics

maqroll

well said, and on that note, I'm put in mind to watch La Grand Illusion all over again. Made in the 1930s but typically prescient over all the nonsense that is set up to divide. Fear is debilitating, and the helplessness was also referred to in a cartoon posted by @mjmooney adding to the cliched quote about forgetting the past, notes that historians remember the past, but must sit helplessly by as those who don't stampede onwards to doing it all over again ( a paraphrase there ). That sense of futility also contributes to that acceptance really.  The division is entirely intentional of course, Chomsky said something about ensuring that the parameters of debate are controlled thusly: that whilst debate and disagreement is accepted, it must be limited to a very narrow set, where the most furious of passions can be unleashed, but don't let the buggers talk about anything else, or the circumstances surrounding their condition.

Most people should be far more in sync about where the problems lie than they are, there should be far more solidarity between communities, yet what wins out and is encouraged? A sort of testosterone fuelled desire for dominance and ownership, of depriving others and excluding even more. The worst instincts are continually pandered too and encouraged, because those in thrall to frankly bronze age passions about borders, winners and losers ( framed respectively as "deserving" of the label ),  ins and outs, are far easily marshaled and corralled like animals. Ensure that on that hierarchy of needs scale, people are fretting about survival, rent, security ( needlessly, thanks to woeful distribution of wealth ) and there's no energy to think properly. It's not all that, we could always be better too, one cannot deny all those traits are very regular and normal and we have responsibilities to be better, but when everything else seems overwhelmingly impossible, then expectations get reduced. 

damn, this thread always makes me cry out for alcohol :/

• Like 4

The main difficulty in resisting the dangers facing our world is that we still approach them with the language of politics, whereas the theatre of struggle has moved to economics. He's a caricature of a ridiculous, pompous dictator - he might sneak some things through, he might help the market's tendrils reach new parts of the US social structure - but what he'll definitely do is enrich the notion that government is hopeless, that it's clumsy and outdated and that it should be encouraged wherever possible not to interfere with our lives - a notion put forward by those who would profit from them.

• Like 2

@VILLAMARV Nice post. Sometimes I think that the power brokers in the US must regret capitulating to the NRA to the degree that they have. The result is a populace that is armed to the teeth. Charismatic grassroots leaders have traditionally been assassinated in this country before they could do too much damage to the status quo. But with things the way they are now, and the way they will be when working class Trump voters realize they've been duped, we'll have no shortage of people who will be happy to take up arms behind some local hero.

All signs point to complete breakdown. It might take 20 years, but I think the USA is on it's last legs as a cohesive nation state.

36 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The 'theatre of struggle' has been economics since the moment money became a thing. And it's been entangled in politics since about 5 minutes afterwards.

It has now won that entanglement - and it's starting to run out of things to eat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

@VILLAMARV Nice post. Sometimes I think that the power brokers in the US must regret capitulating to the NRA to the degree that they have. The result is a populace that is armed to the teeth. Charismatic grassroots leaders have traditionally been assassinated in this country before they could do too much damage to the status quo. But with things the way they are now, and the way they will be when working class Trump voters realize they've been duped, we'll have no shortage of people who will be happy to take up arms behind some local hero.

All signs point to complete breakdown. It might take 20 years, but I think the USA is on it's last legs as a cohesive nation state.

I tend to agree with you about the guns. Not exactly my country of choice to implement a military crackdown on civilians lets put it that way. But that's the path he's chosen. He is no fool and knows he has to keep the rabble he's roused firmly in the box. How exactly he feels he's going to be able to do that over the next few years is anyone's guess at this point but while the play of pointing the finger at the left (or your guys' version of it at least :P) and at people being mobbed by students *sigh* and at the fake news media is working he'll keep doing it. He HAS to find an economic sweetener for his supporter base for me or like you say things could get twitchy fast. But there's ALOT of love for that flag before the union is in jeopardy surely?

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Steve Bannon is convinced that this is historically inevitable and is doing his best to hurry it along.  Very scary ...

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I tend to agree with you about the guns. Not exactly my country of choice to implement a military crackdown on civilians lets put it that way. But that's the path he's chosen. He is no fool and knows he has to keep the rabble he's roused firmly in the box. How exactly he feels he's going to be able to do that over the next few years is anyone's guess at this point but while the play of pointing the finger at the left (or your guys' version of it at least :P) and at people being mobbed by students *sigh* and at the fake news media is working he'll keep doing it. He HAS to find an economic sweetener for his supporter base for me or like you say things could get twitchy fast. But there's ALOT of love for that flag before the union is in jeopardy surely?

Things can change on a dime, history says so. Fact is, this outcome is being telegraphed to us but we don't want to read it.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's actually surreal that the US has a legit buffoon as POTUS. I know people like to call people they don't like or agree with stupid, but this guy is actually a bit of a fool isn't he?

'I'm, like, a really smart person': Donald Trump

Many people are saying that, and a lot of people are saying that Donald Trump is the greatest living example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. And you almost think that. I'm not saying that, this isn't me, many people are though, if, it's just that so many brilliant people say this.  

• Like 4

He's not actually that stupid.

It's actually a carefully orchestrated and long running campaign tactic that began when he was born. Lots of great people, brilliant people say so, using the best words.

• Like 1

Inspired by the Labour thread, the political compass of the US candidates last year shows just how right wing the country is.

us2016.png

Jill Stein was considered a far left kook :lol: . She was easily the best candidate though, the only one who actually wanted to do something about the environment for starters, as opposed to completely denying that there's a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Inspired by the Labour thread, the political compass of the US candidates last year shows just how right wing the country is.

us2016.png

Jill Stein was considered a far left kook :lol: . She was easily the best candidate though, the only one who actually wanted to do something about the environment for starters, as opposed to completely denying that there's a problem.

She was a crook who essentially defrauded a large number of voters in swing states in the immediate aftermath of the election, and frankly she should have been punished for it. 

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

She was a crook who essentially defrauded a large number of voters in swing states in the immediate aftermath of the election, and frankly she should have been punished for it. 

and had let's say interesting opinions about vaccinations and other things that she should have known better than to talk about, see also Johnson and Syria. Though Trump does make a nonsense of what I just wrote :huh:

• Like 1

Â