U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 hours ago, blandy said:

Absolutely. There is little or no integrity or accountability. It's all money and shenanigans. What Russia did was expose some of that on the Democrat side, only, whilst ignoring that on the Republican side, to manipulate, or influence the outcome.

Had they for example hacked trumps tax returns, or the similar dirty tricks in the Republicans own efforts to rig things the world and the US would have been better informed about the whole rotten system.

To be fair it seems most people these days (who don't have fingers in their ears, I actually envy those people) are pretty aware already how rotten the system is. I think people are very ready for major change/revolution call it what you will. It's just nobody knows what that revolution should be. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

I think people are very ready for major change/revolution call it what you will. It's just nobody knows what that revolution should be. 

I would agree to an extent.

But electing Donald **** Trump is not the right way to go about it.

Yes, she's a liberal Hollywood elite so her opinion doesn't matter, but this was an outstanding speech by Streep.

Of course, the PEOTUS couldn't resist taking a shot.

11 days, still waiting on that presidential pivot.

His mockery of Arnie the other day takes an even more bizarre tangent when you note he's an exec producer of the Apprentice, so his ego was more important than his product.

This is going to be a car crash.

The spin by Kellyanne is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Inciting people's worst interests?

this instinct to humiliate when it’s modeled by someone in a public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life because it gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence, and when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.

These people are on an entirely different planet.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2017 at 23:41, villaglint said:

Agreed it is a curious fact that most revolutions actually end up making things worse. 

More often than not revolutions are started by idealists and completed by cynics - over the former's dead bodies. 

• Like 4

I only caught a snippet of the Streep speech earlier so I'll have a proper listen later.

But the bit I heard, she warned that a Trump presidency could / would mean less Hollywood art and more football.

There's always a silver lining.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I only caught a snippet of the Streep speech earlier so I'll have a proper listen later.

But the bit I heard, she warned that a Trump presidency could / would mean less Hollywood art and more football.

There's always a silver lining.

It was a quip about Trump('s)/supporters attitude towards foreigners.

I fear it's the wrong sort of football for your taste too Crispy!

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yes, she's a liberal Hollywood elite so her opinion doesn't matter, but this was an outstanding speech by Streep.

Of course, the PEOTUS couldn't resist taking a shot.

11 days, still waiting on that presidential pivot.

The latter part of the speech about incitement is excellent.

The first part I don't really understand (albeit after a very quick listen).

I know what his comments have been about Muslims and Mexicans, but does Trump have any plans to "kick them all out"!? "Them" being the "foreigners" such as those referred to e.g. Canadians, the Irish, Londoners, Ethiopians and Italians etc. 

Or am I missing the point? 

4 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I know what his comments have been about Muslims and Mexicans, but does Trump have any plans to "kick them all out"!? "Them" being the "foreigners" such as those referred to e.g. Canadians, the Irish, Londoners, Ethiopians and Italians etc. 

Or am I missing the point? 

I think you're missing the point.

She started the speech with a joke about how the people in that room were three of the most vilified groups in America, Hollywood, foreigners and the press. It's almost like an anti-nationalist segment rather than to be taken literally IMO. Tbh it's the bit that made the least sense and went on too long but I see her point.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to determine what's real and what's The Onion these days.

Kellyanne Conway Attacks CNN For Listening To What’s “Come Out Of Trump’s Mouth”

Well, this is somewhat confusing… This morning on CNN, Kellyanne Conway said that the media only cares about what comes out of Donald Trump’s mouth. Her argument is that we should focus on what’s in Trump’s heart.

I know what some of you are thinking. “What heart?” Well, I’m not so cynical. I believe he has a heart and uses it to love himself and love his wife and children (albeit as extensions of himself, but still). That’s not the issue here, however.

Why on earth should the media not take into account what any president, president-elect, etc. actually says? How is the media supposed to divine what’s in his heart? Hell, when the media tries to guess at what a person thinks, they are usually incredibly wrong.

What Donald Trump says publicly, simply by virtue of being the incoming President of the United States, is news. He will have to learn what to say and when to say it if he wants the “unfair media attacks” to stop… well, they won’t stop, but they might slow down a bit.

Anyway, this quote is ridiculous in its premise. This isn’t about the media. We knew – and Donald Trump and his team knew – that they would be constantly against the media at every opportunity. This is about Trump’s own self-control and whether or not he can maintain it for 4-8 years.

The spin is sickening.

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

His grammar is appalling. It's bigly, Donald. She lost bigly. :) 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm struggling to determine what's real and what's The Onion these days.

The spin is sickening.

Honestly the most hilarious thing I've ever read. This is why decent satire can't exist anymore, it's reality.

It's not fair to attack the president elect based on what he says. You need to listen to what he says, think about the best possible interpretation of what he could be saying that fits your favoured point of view, then realise he's saying that.

Trump's wall, the great wall of Trump? Nah, it's **** Shrodinger's wall.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villakram said:

So Russia this, Russia that.

You are all aware of the explicit allowance of 100% dark money to fund PACs in the US. Of course, it's only patriots that have used these oligarchic vehicles... jeez!

I saw this yesterday & I must admit I thought of you VK lol. Do you work for the Russian Government?

Â