Anfield December 2010 - Anfield Dec 2012 What a Contrast

markavfc40

My first visit to Anfield today since December 2010. Clearly the result was completely different but the contrast went far deeper than that. From manager to players to the fans the whole club is treading a different path and seems to have a different out look now.

On that cold Monday night in December 2010 I stood with 1800 fans not expecting to win but certainly not expecting to be see an Aston Villa team so lacking in effort. At full time obviously insult was then added to injury in having to witness the manager of this great club choosing to ignore our great supporters whilst lording it in front of the opposing teams fans.

Today couldn't have been more different. The players to a man gave there all and remarkably is I believe the youngest Aston Villa team to play in the Premier League. The passion and determination in this side is clear and given the emotion the manager shows on the touchline it is clear for all to see where it has come from.

I am not sure of the make up of that Villa side in December 2010 but the squad in comparison to that one is like chalk and cheese. Lambert is building a young side made up of his own signings and of the best of our own youngsters that have come through the ranks. I wasn't quite sure it could work and certainly not sure it could work in time to ensure we staved off relegation this season. I am now 100% convinced I was wrong. It will work and its going to be an exciting ride.

On the 6th December 2010 I left Anfield with my head bowed totally deflated and feeling as though the players and manager simply didn't care and scared for our future. Today I left Anfield with my head held high, proud of the manager and players representing the team I love and excited about what is to come and boy does it feel great!

Great stuff Mark. I feel the same way too, having witnessed that humiliation in the flesh as well.

Seeing the current Villa manager back then celebrating with the opposition team and fans after our team had been mauled 3-0 and then his words after the game was one of my darkest days as a Villa fan.

It kind of put me off going back to Anfield, hence why I decided against going today. What a mistake!

Simple fact is that Houllier was not the right man for the job and the fans would have never warmed to him even if he'd not have had to retire due to his heart problems. Liverpool were a club he held too close to his heart (pardon the awful pun) and we were a step down for him and a last big paycheck. It was a huge mistake to appoint a manager with that mindset.

Paul Lambert is the right man for the job, I am now sure of that!

Great stuff Mark. I feel the same way too, having witnessed that humiliation in the flesh as well.

Seeing the current Villa manager back then celebrating with the opposition team and fans after our team had been mauled 3-0 and then his words after the game was one of my darkest days as a Villa fan.

It kind of put me off going back to Anfield, hence why I decided against going today. What a mistake!

Simple fact is that Houllier was not the right man for the job and the fans would have never warmed to him even if he'd not have had to retire due to his heart problems. Liverpool were a club he held too close to his heart (pardon the awful pun) and we were a step down for him and a last big paycheck. It was a huge mistake to appoint a manager with that mindset.

Paul Lambert is the right man for the job, I am now sure of that!

Here here.

have to say along with Tottenham last season that Liverpool game was a low point of being a villa fan as both games had no effort at all.

that liverpool team we lost to IIRC had no Gerrard or Torres and were average at most and there for the taking, even McLeish managed to give tehm a game at Anfield last year

Top post mark , perfect example of the contrast and why I am reconnecting with villa after two or three years of depressing shit. Paul Lambert is a fabulous man although it pisses me off to think of what we had to go through to get to this point I guess we wouldn't have got him if we didn't go through the shit

Take the lows, then the highs will feel even higher! I said earlier in the week I had a feeling this trip to anfield would be completely different and that is down to Lambert. Football fans can accept losing but they can't accept a lack of effort and that comes from the man in charge.

I recall going to work after that game and I was just bloody angry, the angriest any game has left me.

I remember having a shit day and still being at work. Was meant to finish at 6, saw Ngog score and had enough so said I was going, got to my car and it was 2-0. Bit of a shit day all round.

In the words of Bob Dylan The times they are a changin'.

I don't know if it was the stream I was watching yesterday, but the crowd seemed to be so quiet. Not a peep from the home fans. The Villa fans on the other hand were tremendous.

Anfield is always like that, most overrated "atmosphere" in the world unless a european game or United.

• Brad Friedel

• 02 Luke Young

• 05 Richard Dunne

• 29 James Collins

• 03 Stephen Warnock

• 120,,%7E9004705,00.gifMarc Albrighton

• 210,,%7E9004705,00.gifCiaran Clark

• 28 Jonathan Hogg

• 06 Stewart Downing

• 09 Stephen Ireland

• 110,,%7E9004705,00.gifGabriel Agbonlahor

Substitutions