Udinese fan

Daniel

He was the only fan to turn up to their away game the other night. Lone man

Best part of the article

the local fans took him to their hearts in inspiring fashion, cheering him on as he stood in the cold, and even presenting him a shirt signed by Sampdoria skipper Daniele Gastaldello as a souvenir.

yeah we've all been there...

6771_131966130916_3999988_n.jpg

not once but twice during the peace cup me and the better half had the upper tier and 3 stewards to ourselves! its a really strange feeling, cant imagine how amazing it would have been for that guy, i bet he doesnt buy his own drinks at the next away game

Reminds me of a story I read not too long ago about a Livorno fan. It's a good little write-up:

One Livorno fan's lonely journey across Italy

The only away fan in the stadium

icon_sadfan.jpg

28 October ~ Going to an away game in Italy is no easy matter these days. Travelling supporters are invariably viewed with suspicion and assumed to be potential troublemakers. But it's not just that; the logistics of travelling up and down the country can be pretty off-putting too. In Serie B earlier this month Livorno, on the Tuscan coast, played Reggina, on the tip of Italy's toe, looking out over the Strait of Messina to Sicily. One Livorno fan made the 1,000-kilometre journey: 66-year-old Corrado Nastasio.

"They didn't want me to go in the away supporters' section because there was only me," Nastasio told La Gazzetta dello Sport afterwards. "I have to thank police inspector Di Liberti because they finally let me in." A Livorno native, Nastasio played for his home town for three seasons in the 1960s before moving to Atalanta and then Cagliari, where he made two appearances during the Sardinian club's title-winning season of 1969-70.

A pacy striker and decent crosser of the ball, he won a single cap for the Italy Under-23s in 1969. Nastasio stopped playing in 1977 at the age of 31, when his young son became seriously ill. After working in the Italian lower leagues for a couple of years, he took on a job working in Livorno's docks but never stopped going to watch his local side.

His co-dockworkers set up a supporters' club and named it after him, currently some 200-strong. As befits a true Livornese – the city is a proud stronghold of left-wing politics – Nastasio is critical about the attitude of the country's authorities, and the clubs themselves, towards football fans.

"I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain I'm the only former Serie A player who goes to every away game. There were only two of us at Crotone [in Puglia, Italy's heel]. For me, a club without away fans doesn't exist. The passion of being a fan is dying, not just at Livorno. This year, we rarely have more than ten supporters travelling away. But then, on the other hand, a fan doesn't count for anything these days with the clubs; the stadiums are a mess and it's like entering a war zone, you hardly ever see any young kids going to games anymore."

Livorno, currently third in the table, lived a little dangerously at times but eventually came away from their trip to Calabria with a 3-1 win. Nastasio watched, all on his own in the middle of Stadio Granillo's away end, with a banner draped over a barrier. The players appreciated it, running over to him at the final whistle. "At the end of the game, the club captain [Andrea] Luci presented me with a shirt and the coach [Davide] Nicola gave me a hug. But now there's only one present I'm asking for from the team: to return to Serie A."

Matthew Barker

Having read the article, it just pointed to the fact it was a 'five hour journey' and 'on telly'. Big deal. If that was a Prem. team travelling that distance, say Southampton to Newcastle or vice-versa on a Monday night, there'd be hundreds if not thousands travelling.

This. You'd think there would be a few hundred - OK a few dozen, even - diehard fans who'd go to every away game. One minibus, even (see A Season With Verona). Or a few "expat" Udinese fans who happen to live near Sampdoria?

Quite amazing. You'll never walk alone, indeed.

Having read the article, it just pointed to the fact it was a 'five hour journey' and 'on telly'. Big deal. If that was a Prem. team travelling that distance, say Southampton to Newcastle or vice-versa on a Monday night, there'd be hundreds if not thousands travelling.

was also an early enough kickoff for a Monday game and Udinese arent really that big of a team

The reported on this story on Football Weekly. It's a little bit disappointing as it turns out the Udinese was in Genoa on business anyway so he thought he would go to the game just because he had nothing else to do that evening as he was a long way from home on his own.

Going to football games in Italy is a much more miserable experience than it is here. If you read the article Troglodyte posted you will get a feeling for why people don't go to away games. The stadiums are run down and shit and you are assumed to be an ultra looking for a fight.

Â