Smart Watches

mykeyb

I wouldn't buy and Apple one though as it's bound yto have the EU sound limit on it menaing you can't hear the music loudly enough 

They've never bothered with the EU directive about using microUSB chargers.

A comment on how they can charge whatever they like. It's a compliment if anything.

Similar to how I'd say Scott Sinclair was taking the piss if he ran around the whole Sunderland team before smacking it in the top corner on the weekend.

I couldn't care less what Apple charge. I find the severe hatred for them that runs through people's bones on VillaTalk (and elsewhere, obviously) absolutely hilarious. If you like Apple stuff, buy them. If you think they're overpriced shite, then don't.

I admire the fact that they can price a watch at £13,500 and some people will buy it.

Edit: aimed at Rev's post

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

Both seem like odd complaints.  The £13k watch is a headline grabber to announce to the world HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS THING HERE! and should you be wearing a nice watch if you are unlucky enough to get mugged (how many people in this thread actually have been mugged by the way?) then the mugger is going to take it anyway. Doesn't matter whether its Apple, Tag or any other desirable brand does it? 

I'm still a year or two out from buying a smart watch.  They are interesting to me but I guess we are just coming towards the end of the first generation of (good) products and I think I'll wait until the second or third before I'm ready to jump in. I'd like something thinner and a more mature app ecosystem.  

The £13K watch is a strange one, and I don't think they've got the pricing right at all.  For a start, that puts them nearly into the high end watch bracket, and I'm not sure the sort of people who buy a Patek or Audemars Piguet are going to be in the market for a smart watch.  Secondly, the price disparity between the non-gold ones and the gold watches is much higher than you'd normally get when compared to traditional watch makers.  Then there's the whole question of how quickly Apple update their products with the older models becoming obsolete.  With a £10K watch, if you buy a decent brand, then depreciation will be minimal, and most brands don't update their models very often.  So a £15K Rolex Daytona is still going to be worth the thick end of that a few years down the line.  With the Apple Watch though, you're just paying for the gold case, with a fair chance that the actual watch will be made outdated by an update within the next year or so, which would make the value of the £13K one plummet drastically.

I'm sure they'll sell loads of them, but I don't think it's a sustainable thing in the long run.

No announcement of the release date or specs yet, but an ad has been spotted for a Huawei watch.

Now this is what I've been waiting for.

Came in to post the same thing. Not sure quite how "smart" they are but thems some good looking watches.

Huawei_Watch_hero-970-80_zpsbvpzfwhr.jpg

That looks exactly the sort of thing I'd go for.  A traditional looking mechanical watch with a smart watch interface.  There are some very dodgy crowd funded efforts that are struggling to get off the ground, but if a big company like that gets involved, I'd be interested for sure.

Both seem like odd complaints.  The £13k watch is a headline grabber to announce to the world HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS THING HERE! and should you be wearing a nice watch if you are unlucky enough to get mugged (how many people in this thread actually have been mugged by the way?) then the mugger is going to take it anyway. Doesn't matter whether its Apple, Tag or any other desirable brand does it? 

I'm still a year or two out from buying a smart watch.  They are interesting to me but I guess we are just coming towards the end of the first generation of (good) products and I think I'll wait until the second or third before I'm ready to jump in. I'd like something thinner and a more mature app ecosystem.  

The £13K watch is a strange one, and I don't think they've got the pricing right at all.  For a start, that puts them nearly into the high end watch bracket, and I'm not sure the sort of people who buy a Patek or Audemars Piguet are going to be in the market for a smart watch.  Secondly, the price disparity between the non-gold ones and the gold watches is much higher than you'd normally get when compared to traditional watch makers.  Then there's the whole question of how quickly Apple update their products with the older models becoming obsolete.  With a £10K watch, if you buy a decent brand, then depreciation will be minimal, and most brands don't update their models very often.  So a £15K Rolex Daytona is still going to be worth the thick end of that a few years down the line.  With the Apple Watch though, you're just paying for the gold case, with a fair chance that the actual watch will be made outdated by an update within the next year or so, which would make the value of the £13K one plummet drastically.

I'm sure they'll sell loads of them, but I don't think it's a sustainable thing in the long run.

I'm not sure they care.  Like I said, I think the price tag was simply there to generate headlines and it certainly achieved that.  Even if they only sell one of them the press generated from having something so outrageous makes it worth it. 

So, if you know what time it was fully charged, and now it's dead - you can add 12 hours to your earlier time to get the time.

Sound like a perfectly reliable piece of timekeeping equipment to me.

So, if you know what time it was fully charged, and now it's dead - you can add 12 hours to your earlier time to get the time.

I think the 12 hours relate to the smart features. It'll still tell the time for a couple of days after that (i think!)

If someone is prepared to spend 13 grand on an Apple Watch, they've probably got so much money that they don't care that it'll be obsolete in a year. Completely different target market.

I think the 12 hours relate to the smart features. It'll still tell the time for a couple of days after that (i think!)

Don't think that's right, it's only going to be one battery surely?

It has a power reserve option; This will last for 72 hours and this will just display the time and turn off the other features. This activates when the battery gets too low.

I am planning on picking one up on release and am actually quite looking forward to it.

It has a power reserve option; This will last for 72 hours and this will just display the time and turn off the other features. This activates when the battery gets too low.

How will you read it with the backlight off?

Sounds like Apple have managed to move the state of the art backwards. Please tell me you can at least charge it without taking it off.

How will you read it with the backlight off?

Sounds like Apple have managed to move the state of the art backwards. Please tell me you can at least charge it without taking it off.

Don't be daft.  It's got a magnetic charger about the same size as the watch back!

http://www.apple.com/uk/watch/technology/

"You’ll want to use Apple Watch all day long. So we gave it a battery that lasts up to 18 hours2 and made charging it at the end of the day utterly effortless. In fact, our goal was to make Apple Watch easy to charge in the dark. Without looking. While being only partially awake. We arrived at a solution that combines our MagSafe technology with inductive charging. It’s a completely sealed system free of exposed contacts. And it’s very forgiving, requiring no precise alignment. You simply hold the connector near the back of the watch, where magnets cause it to snap into place automatically."

I'm really not that impressed, certainly not enough to spend £13K on one.  I'd possibly consider it if it was a high end Swiss mechanical watch with a Smart Watch overlay, like Kairos are planning.

18 hours? So after a few months of use probably around 16 hours. Also no use on say a Friday when you are up early and out late? A complete lie that remembering to take off your watch every night to charge it is "utterly effortless".

Bollocks to inventing things. Take what's already out there, make it worse but prettier and pretend they've invented it all.

I was hoping by now that we'd have announcements about smart bracelets. Move the battery (and other sensors) into the strap and allow a pretty watch which can do smart things. Phonebloks for watches if you like. It requires someone to develop the connector (hopefully an open standard) and we're all good.

• Like 2

18 hours? So after a few months of use probably around 16 hours. Also no use on say a Friday when you are up early and out late? A complete lie that remembering to take off your watch every night to charge it is "utterly effortless".

Bollocks to inventing things. Take what's already out there, make it worse but prettier and pretend they've invented it all.

I was hoping by now that we'd have announcements about smart bracelets. Move the battery (and other sensors) into the strap and allow a pretty watch which can do smart things. Phonebloks for watches if you like. It requires someone to develop the connector (hopefully an open standard) and we're all good.

That's a great idea actually.  Having the battery in the interchangeable strap would solve the problem immediately.  I'd patent that if I was you!

As I say though, having a smart watch with a mechanical, self-winding movement would solve the problem at least of the time-keeping, as most have at least a 48 hour-reserve, and never need winding if you wear it regularly.  It surely can't be beyond the realms of modern science either to have the winding mechanism provide at least some of the smart watch power?

I'm sure I read it somewhere else :)

I like the idea that one part of the strap could be battery and the other could have pulse detector and whatever else in it. If someone makes it modular then you can buy the bits you want separately.

Â