Smart Watches

mykeyb

Motorola wouldn't let anyone look at the back of the 360 at Google I/O and its been rumoured there is something special about it and that rumour has come from someone very close to Motorola.

The guy in the YouTube video looks at the back of the 360! 

Yes, but they guy in the video linked on the previous page looks at the back of the device. He holds it up to the camera and talks about it! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I'll wait for the next wave, at the earliest. They're all compromises at this point.

The Apple Watch looks hideous.

The Moto 360 looks ok, apart from the cut out of the screen at the bottom, and has a pretty small battery, and incredibly outdated processor. 

The LG Watch R looks ok, but has no wireless charging, and their previous model suffered from corrosion on the charging pins.

The Kairos is the perfect smartwatch, but quite expensive, and from a company with no reputation that are making big promises. If they deliver on what they've released so far, I'll buy one immediately.

In a year or so this could be a compelling market, I'm especially excited by the potential for traditional watches with a smartwatch component, if the proper watchmakers get in to the market and team up with the tech companies, it would be incredible.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I'd completely forgot about the Pebble, to be honest. How do you think it stacks up since "Android Wear" has caught on?

My main use cases would be two things, checking alerts (texts, emails, Google Now notifications) and possibly controlling music through Google Play to see what's playing and skip to other songs. 

Edited by Davkaus

The battery lasts a week and charges while I'm wearing it. It'll do emails and texts (and Hangouts). The stock software doesn't do g+ notifications but it has its own app store.

I own a 2nd gen watch (Omate Truesmart) but it's not good enough to replace the Pebble, even though it's a full phone on my wrist - it can even take a SIM and SD card itself.

Haven't posted in tech in ages, but the apple watch made me laugh lots. I thought they could be relied upon to at least make an attractive device. It's hands down the ugliest thing Apple has made in over a decade surely. 

Anyway, I'll stick with my dumb watches that only tell the time and date. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the pebble is the best?

What about the LG watch (on Android store)?

The best for what? For me it's the best as it has a weeks battery life and can charge while I'm wearing it. It handles the notifications that I want it to. What are your requirements?

It's hard to compare the Pebble and the LG watch. They would suit completely different users.

The Pebble will do notifications out of that list, nothing else. There's probably an app which would show your agenda, but the resolution isn't there for a calendar view. There might be an app to reject calls, I've never looked into this.

• Like 1

I was really keen to get an Android Wear watch and the Moto360 looks really nice however the more I have looked at it and read the reviews the more I have come to realise that version 1 is not the place to buy as there is just too much wrong. Battery life needs to improve quite a bit and wireless charging a la the 360 needs to be standard.

There are some manufacturers who are listed as partners for android wear and have not yet brought anything to market and I will wait until they all have something out or might end up waiting for the 2015 Moto 360 where hopefully they will have ironed out some of the more obvious flaws.

Â