Smart Watches

mykeyb

Now in possession of a galaxy gear, getting messages stealthily while my boss doesn't realise is awesome. Really impressed with it tbh. Not mind blowing in any sense but as a first attempt it has surprised me with just how good and functional it is. Looks lovely too.

Now in possession of a galaxy gear, getting messages stealthily while my boss doesn't realise is awesome. Really impressed with it tbh. Not mind blowing in any sense but as a first attempt it has surprised me with just how good and functional it is. Looks lovely too.

Where was the deal that that came with. Have developed a need to get a gear.

(yes... contracts are more expensive go giff gaff and buy the stuff up front yadda yadda yadda.)

• 1 month later...

I'm thoroughly unimpressed with my Omate and for now am continuing to wear my Pebble.

How long have you had the Omate now?  I'm tempted by the kickstarter smartwatch/mechanical watch hybrid in the watches thread, but I'm wary of having my fingers burned.

Only a few weeks. I was expecting Play store to be working out of the box and it doesn't. In sure it'll be flushable later, but I haven't got time to play at the moment.

I'm tempted by the kickstarter smartwatch/mechanical watch hybrid in the watches thread, but I'm wary of having my fingers burned.

Same here. It's by far the best looking Smartwatch I've seen so far, and seems like I'd get a lot of use about it...but for the price, it's hard to justify. I don't mind spending that much or more on a watch, but that's because a traditional, well made watch lasts a lifetime. I'm not keen on spending well over a grand on a watch that could end up being obsolete in a year's time when they release a new model and decide not to update this for the new versions of Android.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a few weeks. I was expecting Play store to be working out of the box and it doesn't. In sure it'll be flushable later, but I haven't got time to play at the moment.

Is it just the Lack of Play Store at the moment or is there more.

Have to say loving my Pebble at the moment but will be very interested to see how much the Moto360 & LG G Watch cost on release.

Is it just the Lack of Play Store at the moment or is there more.

Just the lack of play store. I can't be bothered with sideloading everything.

Motorola are running a design competition to win a moto360 and some of the watch faces look stunning, however as they are renders they won't look as good on a low res watch screen and a high res watch screen has the potential to kill the battery.

If the watches are as customisable as android phones they could be great fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Android watches are up on Google Play.

LG G Watch is £159.00 and The Samsung Gear Live is £169.00 which is slightly higher than I hopes for both. 

I will want to read some hands on reviews and hopefully see them in the flesh first but may hold off to see where the Moto360 sits price wise.

Second or third generation is where I plan to jump in on these things. 

The Moto 360 does look very nice.  I wouldn't jump in before I know anything about performance. 

I don'/t like the 24 hour battery life of this generation. Nor the lack of QI charging. I don't need an always on screen - I've had watches for years which turn on the back light when I lift my arm to look at the watch. My Pebble's battery lasts over a week and I can charge it while I'm wearing it (when using the computer).

My Omate still isn't useful.

The Moto 360 looks like it has QI charging, doesn't it? 

I'm not sure it's been announced yet, but I suspect it won't. The battery life still won't be good enough for me.

Motorola wouldn't let anyone look at the back of the 360 at Google I/O and its been rumoured there is something special about it and that rumour has come from someone very close to Motorola.

Â