Smart Watches

mykeyb

2 hours ago, benireduk said:

Treated myself to a Tag Heuer Connected whilst in the States last week.

Really impressed with the quality and feel of it. Yes it's expensive but I find that other smart watches look pretty cheap and not overly desirable.

When it's obsolete, I think Tag will trade it in against a "proper" watch as well.

When it's obsolete, I think Tag will trade it in against a "proper" watch as well.

Yeah they give you back the money you paid for the watch after two years if you trade it in against a special edition that they are going to bring out

• 2 weeks later...

Still use my G Watch R every day, the only thing I would like it to do that it doesnt easily is the sleep tracking as I havent been sleeping well since August.

I have ordered a Xioami Mi Band for £9.00 for that, and becuase the battery lasts about 6 weeks between charges.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I have wondered whether the smart watch might be the shortest lived tech fad since 3d TVs. 

I've worn one every day since my original Pebble kickstarter shipped. I would be without one now.

I can also see how for some people they'd be useless.

My 1st gen Moto 360 is the probably best $0.99 I've ever spent.  Nice to get quick notifications of messages or Google Now traffic while driving without doing anything more than twisting my wrist.

Needed a new phone in a hurry last June, so ordered a 2014 Moto X online.  Go to the kiosk to pick it up and the rep points out that (almost certainly in order to clear out two models approaching a year old) AT&T is offering the 360 for $0.99 with the Moto X with free shipping, so I canceled my online order and bought the phone I was going to pick up with the watch.

(For the record: paying $22.80/month for 24 months (cash price of the phone was $546.99, so just under a penny per month of interest), technically not on contract (have to pay off the phone if I cancel service), $65/month (after a $15/month discount for not taking a subsidized phone on a 2-year contract) for unlimited voice, texts, and 3 gigs (though a few months ago they threw in an extra 3 gigs), with unused data each month rolling over to the next (so I'm currently sitting on 10.87 gigs as I start a new billing period)).

Edited by leviramsey

On 4 April 2016 at 16:52, Chindie said:

I have wondered whether the smart watch might be the shortest lived tech fad since 3d TVs. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  I bought the Apple Watch, it's hugely useless and a complete waste of money.  I used the fitness tracker for a bit, but it's nothing that much cheaper tech won't do at least as well.  

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  I bought the Apple Watch, it's hugely useless and a complete waste of money.  I used the fitness tracker for a bit, but it's nothing that much cheaper tech won't do at least as well.  

Hopefully you were wise enough to return it under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

I just don't get the idea of any watch you have to recharge every day, so I bought one that lasts several days and can be charged while being worn.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Hopefully you were wise enough to return it under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

I just don't get the idea of any watch you have to recharge every day, so I bought one that lasts several days and can be charged while being worn.

The battery life is the worst thing about the Apple Watch.  It's shockingly poor.  And unfortunately, UK consumer law doesn't apply in the IOM.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So the Pebble is dead.  Any thoughts @limpid?

Smartwatch maker Fitbit has confirmed it has bought competitor Pebble – for an undisclosed sum – but only its software. Pebble products are on the scrapheap.

The announcement comes a week after news of the purchase leaked, but many had assumed Fitbit would continue to support existing Pebble watches and slowly merge the two product lines.

Not so. All new hardware sales have stopped, effective immediately, with customers still waiting for delivery of the second version of the Pebble being refunded in full. The company said that existing Pebble watches – of which there are two million out there – will continue to work for now but there will be no support or warranties, and "functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future."

In other words, chuck your Pebble in the pond.

(article continues)

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

So the Pebble is dead.  Any thoughts @limpid?

Just annoyance ;) 

I'm aware of other watches with multi-day battery life, but I think that if my Pebble dies in the near future, I'll rely on my movement trackers for notifications and go back to an analogue watch. I'll never buy or recommend anything from Fitbit though - a dick move worthy of Apple.

I have a Garmin 920XT for triathlons n stuff but it's great as just a wear and forget smart watch too. Gives me notifications over Bluetooth so I don't have to get the phone out my pocket which is about as smart as I need it to be. But I just leave it on in the pool, while running, on the bike, walking around etc and it uploads and syncs all activities constantly. Lasts about 3 weeks on a charge with a few activities each week. Really light and bulletproof too. Great bit of tech.

• Like 1

Â