Smart Watches

mykeyb

To be fair, I don't ask it to do much. Other than notifications I mainly use it as a remote for Doggcatcher. I'm probably not the kind of reviewer you are after :)

The new app seems to work better and the apps seem to load (ie install) on demand. Smart lock is fine, pairing was ridiculously easy. The microphone isn't supported yet; I guess this is waiting on the API for Google Now, but apparently it's not listed in the SDK yet.

The Pebble Time pedometer slightly under reads compared to Jawbone.UP24 and Google Fit, but (based on one value), the sleep monitoring seems pretty good. (I'm using the Misfit app.)

I haven't taken it off since I un-boxed it. It feels lighter than the original, but that could be down to the replacement strap I had. I don't notice that I'm wearing it.

Apple have now approved the app.

• 3 weeks later...

Have had an Apple Watch to play with for the last few days now, and on the whole I have to say it's utterly crap.  

1) The battery life is as atrocious as feared.  No way will it last a day if you're actually wanting to use it as a smart watch.

2) Some of the dial selections are quite nice, but it seems very hit and miss as to when the display actually appears.  I've had to do various gestures to try and shake the thing into life.

3) If your phone isn't in range, it puts a red phone icon with a line through it on the front of the display, which ruins the effect of the watch face.

4) The sports strap is very comfy though, and the aluminium case feels nice and light.

5) I had an old iPod Nano on a rubber strap about 8 years ago, and it was more use than this smartwatch

6) The phone call function for me highlights how unnecessary a smartwatch is.  I can't think of a single instance when I'd want to use it instead of just using the phone, either by holding it or over bluetooth in the car.

7) The digital crown is a nice touch, but due to the lack of apps isn't a lot of use.

8) The fitness stuff seems OK, but this doesn't have to be on a watch.

9) Overall the displays seem shoddy and rushed out.

I have to say, I just don't get it, at all, and it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  As a watch, it's crap, and without a phone nearby you may as well have a £10 Casio on your wrist.  Anybody forking out for the super expensive versions must be kicking themselves.  My automatic watches gain more power the more I wear them, this is the absolute opposite.

• Like 3

It's funny watching the Apple Watch owners in the office trying to get the screen to turn on when they twist their wrist. I had a solar powered Casio that could get the right over 20 years ago. It's like watching old people with Wii controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

No surprises here. Zero practicality, limited functionality, high price. 

Its not an especially promising cocktail. I'm yet to see a single reason why I need to invest in any form of smart watch tbh. I wear a traditional watch and carry at least one mobile phone at all times. What does a smart watch add? 

Its not an especially promising cocktail. I'm yet to see a single reason why I need to invest in any form of smart watch tbh. I wear a traditional watch and carry at least one mobile phone at all times. What does a smart watch add? 

A pedometer.

That seems to be the only thing I ever hear smart watch owners talking about.

A pedometer.

That seems to be the only thing I ever hear smart watch owners talking about.

Don't forget those touch patterns that you can create and send to another apple watch user.

I think that feature alone is worth a £300+ watch.

Good I hope this is the run up to apple sales dropping further as i hate the way this company conducts it self, and also the unbelivable poor service they provide for such expensive goods

I know a lot of consumers who are fed of apple and boycitting iphone for samsungs/sony/htc

The Apple Watch is tanking (apparently)

SliceAppleWatch-650-80.jpg

In fairness I'd expect most annual bonuses are paid in April, at which point most people would make their extravagant and expensive purchases, so it could be a peak trailing off to regular sales, although I could be wrong

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Treated myself to a Tag Heuer Connected whilst in the States last week.

Really impressed with the quality and feel of it. Yes it's expensive but I find that other smart watches look pretty cheap and not overly desirable.

Â