Smart Watches

mykeyb

12 minutes ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

I feel the same about leaving the phone at home, though I did regret it my choice last week when I sprained my ankle and had to hobble the 5k back home. 

You can't go wrong with garmin (except maybe the vivoactive 3). I'd personally go with a 245. 

That being said I did buy myself a Samsung galaxy active for what worked out to be £55 from Samsung direct. Battery life ain't great but a really good feature set for that price. 

Ouch. That's why my remote runs always involve a camelback with my S20 😅

In regards to that. I know Garmin watches have the 'assistance' button. But I think it unfortunately only works in phone distance. Would be ideal if it worked off sync.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
59 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic just arrived today. Silver 46mm. It looks a beauty, screen is crisp too. Was a much needed upgrade as I previously had a Fitbit Versa 2. 

If I were to have a smartwatch (Android) that can be completely untethered to a phone, this looks like the one to do it (The LTE version that is). All others I've seen have always had some sort of drawback or being made by sketchy Kickstarters.

Now the only problem is that I like to wear normal watches and it's easier to ignore a phone than a watch when you are suppose to not work or not being disturbed

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tegis said:

If I were to have a smartwatch (Android) that can be completely untethered to a phone, this looks like the one to do it (The LTE version that is). All others I've seen have always had some sort of drawback or being made by sketchy Kickstarters.

Now the only problem is that I like to wear normal watches and it's easier to ignore a phone than a watch when you are suppose to not work or not being disturbed

Tbf this looks pretty much like a normal watch, it's elegant. Although I'm annoyed that my network (VOXI) don't support the smartwatch mobile data yet!!

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter is considering an Apple watch. Strictly an Apple watch so appreciate there are others on the market but don't need the recommendations. She is looking at one with cellular connection. She hopes to use a watch without the need to always have her iPhone to hand. Does the Apple watch do this, and if so does she need a second sim/contract? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter is considering an Apple watch. Strictly an Apple watch so appreciate there are others on the market but don't need the recommendations. She is looking at one with cellular connection. She hopes to use a watch without the need to always have her iPhone to hand. Does the Apple watch do this, and if so does she need a second sim/contract? Thanks. 

You need the provider to support eSim and support it with the same number as the phone uses. Then you can use the watch untethered without using two numbers

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8511642

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Fitbit have sent me an email today recalling all Fitbit Ionics and giving a full refund. If you have one gathering dust it may be worth heading over to the Fitbit website. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/03/2022 at 09:15, Seat68 said:

Fitbit have sent me an email today recalling all Fitbit Ionics and giving a full refund. If you have one gathering dust it may be worth heading over to the Fitbit website. 

Refunded today, equivalent of 300 dollars. 

• 1 year later...

My wife has just bought a galaxy smart watch LTE version. She wants to be able to have calls to her mobile and her watch and choose wear to answer them. Is there a plan or sim that allows this that isn't financially restrictive. She is currently on a smarty tenner a month plan. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My wife has just bought a galaxy smart watch LTE version. She wants to be able to have calls to her mobile and her watch and choose wear to answer them. Is there a plan or sim that allows this that isn't financially restrictive. She is currently on a smarty tenner a month plan. 

I'm on O2 with an apple watch .. to have the watch 4G /5G enabled for data is a premium , but if its paired to your phone it just uses the phone data  ..long as you have your phone with you of course ..I'd assume Galaxy watches work in the same way ? 

When I'm in the gym , I leave my phone in the locker downstairs , calls were still come through so now I have to remember to switch Bluetooth off on my phone so I don't receive them ... the range on the pairing is actually quite impressive

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

WearOS watches use an eSIM. AIUI, you can have it cloned with your main number or it can be separate. Most networks offer eSIMs.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to ask this before purchase?

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

WearOS watches use an eSIM. AIUI, you can have it cloned with your main number or it can be separate. Most networks offer eSIMs.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to ask this before purchase?

I have only just been involved in this decision. Seems that as I see it Bluetooth will be enough. 

• Like 1

Â