Smart Watches

mykeyb

Soon you'll realize how useless smart watches are :)

Smart Watches are the new tablets, except they are even less useful.

tablets do have their uses. ive yet to find one for a smartwatch though. They're utter garbage, and will be until Apple's comes out and developers actually get their finger out and start making apps that aren't fitness trackers

But I want something I can have at work where I can't have my phone on me and need to be available for emergencies, be able to have my notifications to read, health apps are great for me too and I'd like to see the time. Smartwatches are a great thing for me, it hasn't been perfected yet but the pebble steel and Sony sw3 are the closest yet imo. If the pebble had a basic colour screen (even just as basic as a simple game boy colour or something, nothing all singing all dancing) plus a heart rate monitor then I'd be in heaven.

You can't definitively say they are useless. They are a great thing for some people, not great for others. Like every other gadget.

• Like 1

It's more of a fitness watch though. Which, if you're into fitness and calorie counting, is pretty good.

My Activite turned up today, it's absolutely lovely. 

the problem is the bulk of them rely on having your smartphone with you, and your smarthphone can do pretty much everything it can do too, negating the need to actually have a smartwatch to begin with. If it's fitness gear you're after, TomTom do a wonderful range of fitness trackers that aren't actually smartwatches. They're pricey, but they're awesome

It's more of a fitness watch though. Which, if you're into fitness and calorie counting, is pretty good.

the problem is the bulk of them rely on having your smartphone with you, and your smarthphone can do pretty much everything it can do too, negating the need to actually have a smartwatch to begin with. If it's fitness gear you're after, TomTom do a wonderful range of fitness trackers that aren't actually smartwatches. They're pricey, but they're awesome

My Omate is a full phone in a watch. If I wear this I don't need to carry a phone. The battery lasts a day.

I use my Pebble for notifications and as a remote for my media player. Especially in cold weather. The battery lasts over a week and charges while I'm sat at my desk.

I use a Jawbone UP for activity tracking. I don't need to carry a phone. The battery lasts two weeks.

I wear the latter two all the time.

Can't go swimming with my phone :P

But no, I do get what you're saying.  I like the Activite because it does seem like it's just a watch. If you were to look at it without knowing what it is, you'd not guess it's a smart watch. Well to be honest, it's not really a smart watch, it's just a little bit smarter than normal watches, if that makes sense.

Edited by PieFacE

Can't go swimming with my phone :P

But no, I do get what you're saying.  I like the Activite because it does seem like it's just a watch. If you were to look at it without knowing what it is, you'd not guess it's a smart watch. Well to be honest, it's not really a smart watch, it's just a little bit smarter than normal watches, if that makes sense.

No I get you. My favourite "smartwear" so far is the Martian Notifier, which is a regular watch with a crappy LED scroller that gives you info on notifications. You can program notification vibration patterns for different apps etc, so it's useful. In my job I've gotten to use most of the high end smartwatches and, IMO, none of them are as useful as the Notifier. Sure, they do more, but they do more stuff that's useless

• 2 weeks later...

My initial thoughts are very positive. It is the perfect size, it doesn't look ridiculous on the wrist as the others do that I've tried on. Buttons > touchscreen.

The compatibility is good, I've got sport updates/scores/news, weather reports, traffic and journey time updates, rss updates, news updates etc...it's pretty much everything I need. I'm trying to find a decent GPS based navigation app with turn by turn directions.

The new android wear style 'actionable notifications' are also great, I can reply to stuff when I need to which from what I can see wasn't possible until the last update.

I've put on the misfit app instead off the jawbone up one as it doesn't require a companion app like up does plus it has a step tracker/calorie burner meter which the up one doesn't have.

Very impressed so far, I'm not even bothered by the lack of a basic limited colour screen although it would have been a bonus. The only thing it really needs is a heartrate monitor and an increase in the amount of apps that can be loaded on it. The bezels are a little big compared to the screen size but that's extreme nitpicking.

Oh and tetris!

• Like 1

New pebble kickstarter:

http://kck.st/1BluaTQ

Highlights

• We're announcing a new watch called Pebble Time with a new timeline interface.

• Pebble Time features a new color e-paper display and microphone for responding to notifications.

• No compromises on what you love about Pebble: up to 7 days of battery life, water resistance and customizability.

• Pebble Time is fully compatible with all 6,500+ existing Pebble apps and watchfaces.

• Three colors available exclusively on Kickstarter. Pebble Time starts shipping in May.

• Extra special engraving for our original Kickstarter backers who support us again ♥♥♥

Â