James Chester (Hull City)

GarethRDR

I would have no problem with him. A young hungry player could do well for us. It is either this kind of player or a proven superstar is the kind of signing I would like. Anything in between like B level premier league players or ones that are past it are just pointless imho. Loans excluded obviously.

So if we were to buy Messi or Ronaldo would you deem that as a gamble?

Even they would be gambles to an extent, just not as much as most other players.

We won't be signing a player of that quality though so it's a pretty irrelevant point.

So this is the type of quality we're going to buy in january. No surprises.

Have you seen him play?

So a proven PL player is a gamble in the same way a totally unproven lower league fledgling is ?

Have you been paying attention since August

Depends on the "proven PL" player in question and "unproven lower league fledgling" in question.

So this is the type of quality we're going to buy in january. No surprises.

If it is we can kiss goodbye to the PL

Lambert really is gambling with our future here

If he has money to spend and he isn't that is outrageous

Even they would be gambles to an extent, just not as much as most other players.

We won't be signing a player of that quality though so it's a pretty irrelevant point.

Have you seen him play?

Depends on the "proven PL" player in question and "unproven lower league fledgling" in question.

My point is relevant because you said every player is a gamble and it has nothing to do with whether we signed them or not.

Messi and Ronaldo a gamble? :crylaugh:

Wow, this has got to be a first hasn't it? Writing off players we've merely been speculated to be interested in.

My point is relevant because you said every player is a gamble and it has nothing to do with whether we signed them or not.

And as I said even they would be a gamble to an extent, but since we won't be signing a player that's anywhere close to their quality it's irrelevant.

Messi has no Premier League experience by the way. ;)

Wow, this has got to be a first hasn't it? Writing off players we've merely been speculated to be interested in.

And as I said even they would be a gamble to an extent, but since we won't be signing a player that's anywhere close to their quality it's irrelevant.

Messi has no Premier League experience by the way. ;)

No your quote was 'all players are gambles.' You never entered into the equation players that we could sign but carry on digging an even bigger hole for yourself.

Well all players are gambles aren't they ? (Unless you can forsee the future)

Of course with such talented players as Messi and Ronaldo you could say that the probability of them being a successful signing would be very high , there are still no guarantees, so therefore would still be a gamble . It's basic maths .

No your quote was 'all players are gambles.' You never entered into the equation players that we could sign but carry on digging an even bigger hole for yourself.

Yes and all players are gambles. What's your point?

I'm not digging a hole for myself.

Morpheus I'd give up on this one.

The defence is getting to pathetic levels i didn't imagine were possible.

You can't possibly debate with someone who thinks buying a player from the lower leagues is the same gamble as signing a top quality proven premiership player or one of the best players ever to play the game from abroad.

• Like 1

You can't possibly debate with someone who thinks buying a player from the lower leagues is the same gamble as signing a top quality proven premiership player or one of the best players ever to play the game from abroad.

Bit of a strawman argument there . Nobody has said it would be the SAME gamble as there are obviously levels of probability to be taken into account as I mentioned earlier.

The only pathetic thing to see here is your abysmal attempt at twisting Mantis' words to try and score points.

Actually I said it depends on the lower league player and proven Premier League player in question.

All players are gambles. What if we signed them and the next day they had a career-ending injury?

For 1.5 million you can afford to be wrong.

You miss the point. We are tinkering with our PL future here.

If we go down, it will be incredibly difficult to come back and ever compete again.

That's why we don't need any more "potential" from the likes of Hull, Sheff Utd or Crewe just now.

You can afford to Take the odd gamble on these players when you have a successful, stable, experienced PL squad.

We don't.