James Chester (Hull City)

GarethRDR

Vlaar is nowhere near as good as some people on here think he is. A fit Dunne is better than Vlaar, Vlaar is no improvement on Collins or Dunne and Vlaar has been just as bad as Clark at times this season but because his nickname is "concrete Ron" people seem to think he is in the Laursen mould but he isnt. There is a reason he was only £3.5m and nobody else was looking at him. He is a very average centre half

Laursen was only £3m.

Need I say more?

Generally he's been pretty good. The problem is the lack of defensive cover in midfield.

I think the main problem is a complete lack of any midfield what so ever. Our midfileders are all lacking in height, athleticism, technique and ideas. All they is run around for the first 45 mins get tired and then get totally over run in the second period when we ship goals galore. The fact that there is a ropey centre back pairing behind them and not one talented left back at the entire club just makes matters worse. James Chester will not solve anything at the club, his wages will be far less than Dunne's who will be moved on in January or at the end of the year which is the only reason I can see for being linked with him.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing Dunne and Vlaar as CBs with Clark temporarily moved to left back.

Whilst our left backs show promise, that's the weakpoint for me at the moment.

I've actually been advocating the Dunne, Vlaar partnership for some time now. Not sure about Clark at LB though as i'd rather have Olsson there. It will be interesting to see whether Lambert does sign Chester in January because if he does, then that pretty much means Dunne's Villa career is finished!

I'm looking forward to seeing Baker getting an extended run at some point. Don't think he's ever disgraced himself when he's played in the centre.

Agreed we look far more solid with Baker there over Clark...Someone else mentioned before that they think Baker is a better defender, but Clark a better footballer....I agree with this, and at the moment in time we need the stronger defender in there..

I think Vlaar is overrated because he replaced a defender that many fans hated.

I think he's an improvement on Collins but not by much. He's looked very good in a couple of games and poor in a few as well.

We can blame the midfield but I think that's a bit easy and takes a lot of the blame off the defence which as a unit I think have been just as poor as last season.

I think Vlaar is overrated because he replaced a defender that many fans hated.

I think he's an improvement on Collins but not by much. He's looked very good in a couple of games and poor in a few as well.

We can blame the midfield but I think that's a bit easy and takes a lot of the blame off the defence which as a unit I think have been just as poor as last season.

Yeah collins would walk into the dutch national team - some fans just bathe in negatvitiy.

Vlaar is a very good defender, comfortable on the ball, a leader, reads situations well, and is a beast. Love having him as captain.

If he played for any other team people would be saying get him in.

Class player.

I think he's a decent player but playing for holland doesn't really matter to me.

I'll judge him in a villa shirt and while I think he's looked excellent a couple of times I also think he's had very poor games. I'm sure he'll continue to improve but right now I haven't seen a big improvement on James Collins from him.

And like I said our defence as a whole have not been good enough or better than last year.