James Chester (Hull City)

GarethRDR

You miss the point. We are tinkering with our PL future here.

If we go down, it will be incredibly difficult to come back and ever compete again.

That's why we don't need any more "potential" from the likes of Hull, Sheff Utd or Crewe just now.

You can afford to Take the odd gamble on these players when you have a successful, stable, experienced PL squad.

We don't.

You've never even seen him play. You can't judge him.

Thanks adz. Have you been keeping up with his progress at all? Do you think he could make a fist of it in the Premiership or would it be a step too far?

Haven't been tracking him as such, but I know Carlisle were very keen to sign him, but he saw himself higher up the the divisions.

I'm unsure if the Premier League would be a bridge too far or not. He certainly was head and shoulders above any other centre back I've seen play for Carlisle, and most other defenders who have visited in the league for that matter.

Wow, this has got to be a first hasn't it? Writing off players we've merely been speculated to be interested in.

Nope, happens all the time on VT.

Just read the Benteke thread.

My opinion? I have no problem with the signing of youngsters, however I would like to see one or two more experienced heads signed in January. And I have a hunch we will do that.

But as usual, I've never seen this guy play, so I'll reserve judgement until I have.

Other people should too.

• Like 1

I'm not going to spew inanity dressed up as rhetoric ad nauseum as if it's some kind of infallible yardstick.

This might be my favourite sentence ever written on VT.

And it's even better that it makes perfect sense.

Well all players are gambles aren't they ? (Unless you can forsee the future)

Of course with such talented players as Messi and Ronaldo you could say that the probability of them being a successful signing would be very high , there are still no guarantees, so therefore would still be a gamble . It's basic maths .

this. could go out and sign Ronaldo and they break their leg after 1 game

So a proven PL player is a gamble in the same way a totally unproven lower league fledgling is ?

Have you been paying attention since August

Would you rather have the proven players like CNZ, Hutton and Warnock or, at the time, unproven Bale, Walker and Baines?

Their current club cannot be the lonely yardstick upon which to judge a potential target.

I'd welcome this signing.

Seems to be highly rated.

At times this season we've had to play with a young Championship full back at Centre Half, and an academy midfield graduate at centre half.

Signing an additional highly rated player for a smallish sum for a position in which we have lacked cover seems emminently sensible

He turns 24 in 2 months time and he's still a "youngster"?

Only on VT...

Young players with potential tend to have alreday moved on to better things before they are 24. If they havent there is a reason.

I really do wonder sometimes... :P I'd be very happy to see us sign him as its a position we do need strengthening in with Dunne probably on his way out and even then we are a little bit short there.... For 1.5m I'd say get him in!!! Then can we get Taison please :D

West Brom (you know, them currently sat 4th in the league) signed Billy Jones at the age of 24, but that's not even my favourite one; they brought in Gareth McAuley at the age of 31. Thirty-one. Neither had kicked a ball in the Premiership until then and both would stroll into our team at the moment.

• Like 1