James Chester (Hull City)

GarethRDR

From The Telegraph...

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert assured he will have funds in January as he targets Hull's James Chester

Paul Lambert has held further talks with Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner as he plots his strategy for the January transfer window.

Lerner flew over from the United States last week to meet with Lambert and has assured the Villa manager that funds will be made available to strengthen his squad in the New Year.

Lambert spent nearly £22 million in the summer but is keen to add more recruits, with Hull centre-half James Chester emerging as a possible £1.5 million target. Chester, a former Manchester United trainee, has been watched by Villa's scouting staff this season and the 23 year-old could become another Villa signing from the Championship.

Lerner, who recently sold the Cleveland Browns NFL franchise for around £620 million, has backed Lambert's plans to rebuild the squad and is fully supportive of the Scot, who has only won two Premier League games since his appointment. Villa suffered a 5-0 defeat at champions Manchester City on Saturday to fall into the relegation zone.

Lambert said: "There’s a lot of games until we get to January but there’s one or two in our heads and every manager will tell you the same. This was never going to happen overnight. A lot of people just expected us to come in and see a real change in fortunes."

"Would I sign experienced players? It’s not something I’ll turn away from. If they have got the right attitude to go and do it, and they fit into the group, then I’d look at that. The squad needs to get bigger as well. That is important as well. That's normal. Everyone has to have competition for places."

Lambert will allow big earners Richard Dunne, Shay Given, Alan Hutton and Stephen Warnock to leave in January, though their wages are likely to prove prohibitive to interested clubs. Warnock is currently on loan at Bolton Wanderers and could have his spell extended to the end of the season. Villa insist that record £24 million signing Darren Bent, who is expected to be fit for this weekend's home game against Arsenal after an ankle injury, is not for sale.

hull_2403713b.jpg

i am just heartened by the fact we are looking at CB'S. I did wonder about expecting clark to perform for a whole season - in a position where has has looked adequate at best. Personally I would go for a more experienced CB. He probably wouldn't come but Olson from WBA is excactly what we need.

i am just heartened by the fact we are looking at CB'S. I did wonder about expecting clark to perform for a whole season - in a position where has has looked adequate at best. Personally I would go for a more experienced CB. He 100% in a million yrs wouldn't come but Olson from WBA is excactly what we need.

fixed

Looks like a promising player who may well be able to step up to Prem level given a little time. Unfortunately what we need now and will need in January is 2 or 3 proven quality players at this level who can hit the ground running and immediately improve us.

I have no probelm with signings like this but they need to be made alongside players of proven quality at this level. If not come May we will find ourselves with an improving side with potential but facing life in the Championship.

I don't understand why people here only argue about the two extremes?

When someone calls for experience, people jump to the conclusion that they mean an aging 33 year old who is past his best or look at kids from the Championship learning their trade.

Surely there are players around the 25/26 age who can be bought in for a "reasonable fee" and on "responsible wages."

I would like to think there are players like that, who have a fair few years of experience playing in the first division of some top leagues in Europe.

I think calling for experience doesn't necessarily mean looking at players a couple of years from retirement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Chester is not good, but is he what we need right now? Strong bodies who can last 90 mins?