James Chester (Hull City)

GarethRDR

Read my earlier posts. It's all about the cumulative effect of buying inexperienced championship or lower players. These players will NOT hit the ground running in January in all likelihood. Our current predicament means we need proven quality immediately to help get us out of this mess. We already have a squad full of kids, championship players and unproven foreigners do we need anymore of this in January

Now I see. You know absolutely nothing about the player yet you are happy to write him off on a notion.

Are you deeply religious, par chance?

My point is, we can't take many more gambles this season on lower league "potential"

CI your wasting your time. Anyone not conforming to the Lambert wankfest despite where we are in the table will be deemed moronic, an imbecile, or the favourite at the moment, a troll.

CI your wasting your time. Anyone not conforming to the Lambert wankfest despite where we are in the table will be deemed moronic, an imbecile, or the favourite at the moment, a troll.

Not at all.

But someone forming his entire opinion of a player purely by where he's come from without ever having seen them play, and then dismissing a very persuasive argument as to why he shouldn't do that backed up by solid FACTS because those facts were "googled" can absolutely be deemed any of the above.

Negative posters are fine. Posters who metaphorically stick their fingers in their ears and don't even listen to any counter points, whether they have a positive view or a negative view, could fall into the categories you list in your post.

no its people spamming multiple threads with biased and bizarre opinions are labelled trolls ;). constructive criticism is welcome

OK so naturally this thread is full of garbage.

Does anyone know if this lad is any good, has anyone actually seen him play?

Here you go...

He was on loan at my local club Carlisle a few seasons ago. Saw him play a few times, and he was absolutely solid. Scored a few from set pieces as well I seem to remember.

Haven't been tracking him as such, but I know Carlisle were very keen to sign him, but he saw himself higher up the the divisions.

I'm unsure if the Premier League would be a bridge too far or not. He certainly was head and shoulders above any other centre back I've seen play for Carlisle, and most other defenders who have visited in the league for that matter.

Morpheus, there's no "Lambert wankfest" in here. A grand total of three other people (one of which was CI, anyway) have mentioned Lambert in this entire thread; the only point being made is the absurdity of judging a player one has never actually seen play.

Morpheus, there's no "Lambert wankfest" in here. A grand total of three other people (one of which was CI, anyway) have mentioned Lambert in this entire thread; the only point being made is the absurdity of judging a player one has never actually seen play.

It's not even that.

I coudl handle someone sayign they don't think we should be signing players from the Championship.

I'd disagree, but fair enough.

It's when presented with some evidence that counters their opinion and all you get in return is blind dismissal. A refusal to even acknowledge the argument, let alone try and have a balanced discussion.

To write off a player you know nothing of is actually worse than the wankfest of a thread SGC initiated about Ethan Moore. CI, your credibility never amounted to much on this board and you appear to have done nothing to assist your causes here.

Gareth , thanks for the info in his play at Carlisle. Useful. However I'm not sure how you convert that into how he will slot into the Premier League and more than likely a full scale relegation dogfight.

MMfy, just because I've questioned the wisdom of this full on approach to buying unknown players from overseas / the lower leagues doesn't actually give you the right to have a pop. Try acting like an adult and actually debating the point. Lamberts policy so far, yes only a third of the season has gone, is worse than the previous managers - fact.

For all the words and sentiment on this board about how we've improved and how well we are playing, quite frankly I've seen very little of it and I've been at most of the opening 12 games.

If anything in my opinion we've gone backwards and if January is going to be all about signing the James Chesters of this world then I think we are ****.

Gareth , thanks for the info in his play at Carlisle.

Thank Adz, not me.

Can you genuinely not see the dichotomy between this...

However I'm not sure how you convert that into how he will slot into the Premier League and more than likely a full scale relegation dogfight.
...and this?

if January is going to be all about signing the James Chesters of this world then I think we are ****.

You've just said it yourself. You're not sure. I'm not sure. It's okay to not know.
  • Like 1

Personally I think that you have top, top players such as City players, some United and some Chelsea, e.g. Mata, Hazard, Rooney, Aguero etc. The type of players you'd consider world-class.

Then generally, everyone else in the Premier League isn't really any better than most players from lower divisions, and things like application and motivation come into it and make a greater difference. That's why Norwich did well last season, and why WBA are doing well this season. They have no world-class players, but they're motivated and they're applying themselves.

We're not in a position to buy people like Aguero, Dzeko, Tevez etc, so we can get the most motivated and hard-working ones instead. Generally it's better to get them from lower down as they're more interested in proving themselves, rather than someone like James Collins, or Richard Dunne, who already know they've made it and don't need to try very hard to get anywhere.

I don't think we're debating James Chester - he's an unknown with future potential (possibly)

We are debating Lamberts high risk transfer policy

That's the issue and he's gambling our PL status away here

I don't think we're debating James Chester - he's an unknown with future potential (possibly)

We are debating Lamberts high risk transfer policy

That's the issue and he's gambling our PL status away here

He is an unkown to you - and do you think that Lambert, being a professional football manager and all may have been tracking him for some time, like he did benteke / vlaar / KEA whilst he was at Norwich.

And I'm baffled how you think we have gone backwards and you've been to the games???

I was referring to Lamberts holistic approach to buying raw unproven players with potential

Anyway , Well I don't rate KEA at all, Vlaar will be ok once he has experience around him.

7 of the 12 games we've played so far have been dire, worse than last year IMHO