January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

True he doesn't have the squad Houllier had but even so he was capable of arresting an alarming slide around Christmas 2010 yet Lambert has not been able to do this. In fact things have only got worse, and tactically I don't think I've ever seen anyone as inept as Lambert.

True he doesn't have the squad Houllier had but even so he was capable of arresting an alarming slide around Christmas 2010 yet Lambert has not been able to do this. In fact things have only got worse, and tactically I don't think I've ever seen anyone as inept as Lambert.

"But even so"? 

"Not even the best magician in the world can produce a rabbit out of a hat if there is not already a rabbit in the hat."

• Like 1

"But even so"? 

"Not even the best magician in the world can produce a rabbit out of a hat if there is not already a rabbit in the hat."

"But even so" meaning that even when taking into account the superior squad Houllier had he still did a much better job.

Agreed.... People also say that we improved when mccalister was in charge, bit hadn't it been said that no one likes Gary mc? Think we missed out on keeping hollier at board level in an oversight role, maybe even with Gary mc in charge...However, we then went to get mcleish who ha a completely different football ethos, and now with lambert again we have a different ethos.. Its no wonder we're in such disarray

lets just face facts here even if we wanted to sign players what self respecting footballer would want to come to this club right now? we are a shambles and a laughing stock and in 2 - 3 years we will be playing bradford in league games cos WHEN we go down i think we will find it hard to even compete in the chumpionship

Houllier was allowed to spend £24m on Bent and £6m on Makoun, plus bring in Walker on loan, and had Young and Downing all season!  If Lambert could do that then I'm sure he would arrest our decline too.  I'm sorry but I just don't see how Houllier possibly did a better job than Lambert when the latter had less to spend on buying 8 players to fill an already terrible squad than Houllier spent on one player to supplement a squad that finished 6th the year before.

• Like 1

I fail to see how we can bring in better players if we are relegated. More of the same shit like bennett and such probably. God, I can`t stop thinking about it, it just drives me mad. How this has went from "Interesting project" to "Will this become a fight in the relegation zone" and now "we are sinking faster than the titanic". Almost want to cry, just completely ruins everything. So scared of the fight against newcastle, I have no idea what to expect.. Will they use many of their new signings? Maybe that is a key for us to win against them since they might do some mistakes. No idea....ugh. It is so worrying that there still is no signings in sight, not even close either. What is worse is that I think this will get even worse if we go down, who knows what will happen then.

As someone said earlier, it seems like the only criteria lerner has is that the wage bill goes down. Such irrational behavior is mind boggling to say the least, embarrassed that this man is running the club. IMO, the worst thing to do right now is to do nothing. 

True he doesn't have the squad Houllier had but even so he was capable of arresting an alarming slide around Christmas 2010 yet Lambert has not been able to do this.

After 21 games in 2010/11 we sat in 18th place on 21 points. After 21 games this season we sat in 16th place on 19 points. Houllier during January then got the best part of 30 mill in fees and 150k a week in wages to spend on bringing in Bent and Makoun and in on loan Walker and Bradley.

Lambert so far has been given **** all and if he is given anything to spend it won't be anything like what Houllier spent in January 2011.

• Like 2

Houllier was allowed to spend £24m on Bent and £6m on Makoun, plus bring in Walker on loan, and had Young and Downing all season!  If Lambert could do that then I'm sure he would arrest our decline too.  I'm sorry but I just don't see how Houllier possibly did a better job than Lambert when the latter had less to spend on buying 8 players to fill an already terrible squad than Houllier spent on one player to supplement a squad that finished 6th the year before.

And Michael Bradley now at Roma

After 21 games in 2010/11 we sat in 18th place on 21 points. After 21 games this season we sat in 16th place on 19 points. Houllier during January then got the best part of 30 mill in fees and 150k a week in wages to spend on bringing in Bent and Makoun and in on loan Walker and Bradley.

Lambert so far has been given **** all and if he is given anything to spend it won't be anything like what Houllier spent in January 2011.

I know the stats Mark. As always though stats don't tell you everything.

Actually, Lambert had £23m to spend in the summer and a full pre-season to work on things. Houllier never got that. It would be foolish to claim that either of the two managers walked into ideal situations. Houllier had to come in with the new season already underway and after a dreadful and chaotic summer where we did absolutely nothing in the transfer market except replace our best player from the previous season with Stephen Ireland. Likewise with Lambert, he took over a club with a poor squad which was also low on confidence from the previous season. He's been trying to change our playing style (as was Houllier) but probably didn't get enough money in the summer and doesn't look like he's getting any this January.

In some respects Lambert's had it better and in other respects he's had it worse. However, the job he's currently doing right now is far from acceptable. It's not so much the battling relegation that bothers a lot of people, it's the complete lack of tactical awareness and what seems like a complete inability to motivate his players. We've been in a relegation battle all season but he was supported by most. There's a reason why a lot of have turned recently and that's the alarming slide that's taken place since the Liverpool win.

Edited by Mantis

He had a pretty good reason, you know what with being hospitalised. You made it sound as if it was for something petty.

What it sounded like is how you interpreted it. Crying off due to sickness doesn't mean anything other than just that. You seem to have taken up the post completely wrong for some reason.

Edited by limvillian

We've missed the boat, full stop. It was always going to be difficult to persuade anyone to come here at the beginning of January, but its infinitely harder now, if not impossible. Our last trick up the sleeve was a potential Cup Final appearance and now, thanks to whatever reason, thats in tatters.

Frankly. I'm appalled by Lerners obvious back-pedalling and disappointed with Lamberts lack of defensive nous. We;re a club in freefall and, as already mentioned, they won't be queueing up to join us any time soon.

We will have to make do with what we have...........only it ain't good enough.