January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

So it wasn't bad lack? It was a lack of skill or finishing

I think what he means is that we lost the game 1-0 to a poor decision from the official. We didn't win the game (or score) because of bad finshing. So yeah, it's our fault we didn't score, but it's fair enough to say we lost a point because of bad luck, seeing as we can't do anything about a ref not being able to do his job properly.

I was trying to say that the reason they won was because they scored a penalty, which should never have been a penalty, therefore they were lucky and we were unlucky. And I was supposing that had they not got that lucky penalty then the game may have been a 0-0 draw (this is pure conjecture of course).

The fact that we didn't score was not bad luck, that was poor finishing/skill i.e. not good enough, and hence why we didn't win was partly down to the bad luck of conceding a penalty and partly being not good enough.

Obviously losing all the other games was completely us not being good enough and I agree that we are not nearly good enough.

I was only trying to say that losing that one game was partly bad luck. It was said that none of this was down to bad luck and that's where I have to slightly disagree.

Edited by fightoffyour

Ok, I know how that sounded. I try again. Ireally like Dale Stephens aswell as a DM.

Must disagree with you there. I think we have enough young midfielders with none or very little experience playing the big boys in premier league.

He can obviously become a very good player if given the time, but he is no saviour to us at this crucial time...

So they have had good luck ? We got battered at their place 4-1 and they have been decent so far in the prem this season for a side that has not been up in yearsss.

This isn't unlucky it's something turning from inconsistency at the start of the season to not getting any results at this point in the season.

They had good luck to get the penalty, yes. I agree they have looked decent, especially against us and even when losing against the top teams. But the fact that we are so bad and they have beat us twice, yet they still only have 2 more points than us (they probably will not get any points from their game in hand against Chelsea [Yes, I know that QPR did, but still.]) makes me think they still have to be relegation candidates. And if they get some bad luck like non - penalties going against them, they might end up in trouble too.

Edit: Just realised which thread this is in and it's way OT so I'll stop there.

Edited by fightoffyour

Every thread has turned into a statement of how shit we are

Except we're not actually that shit. Am I the only one that can see that?

In an alternative universe we'd have battered Southampton last weekend. Sometimes when you're down you're down and the chips don't fall for you.

We're not the worst side in the league and we're far from the worst Villa side I've seen. I think we've a good chance of going down because our luck is in, injuries have decimated us and our confidence has been shattered as a result at the worst possible time.

There is talent in this squad and I'm confident they'll make a good show of it going forward. I just hope it's not too late.

We need signings though, absolutely no question about that. My fingers are crossed.

• Like 4

Hello ..

Lambert won't get sacked on the basis of results unless we are looking doomed for League 1. I don't actually blame him that much for our current predicament.

I have far more respect for managers who deliever results on a tiny budget than I do for the Mourinho's/Benitez's of this world who jet about spending a **** ton of cash.

In fact.... Moyes>Mourinho.

Well .. Mourinho is another case .. He took the Champions League 2004 with Porto .. who didn't have much money !

Back on topic...

Sissoko

Baptistao

Chester

Cavanda

That will do...

That would do but the only ones i can see us signing is Chester and Cavanda at a stretch

We will end up with stephens for the midfield role and not sissoko

That would do but the only ones i can see us signing is Chester and Cavanda at a stretch

We will end up with stephens for the midfield role and not sissoko

I know I think 4 is a little too much to ask unless Lambert gets some targets he wants for the summer now.....

The thing that makes me think we would be in for Sissoko is that in the Southampton Presser Lambert said they need power in the centre of the pitch, Sissoko is perfect for the CDM/CM role.... Even if he's asking for 40-75k per week.... give him 45-55k.... The guy would give us a leader in the middle and sort the shit out...

Also I'd think Stephens is more of the Box to Box midfielder that will play further ahead of Westwood and a CDM.

Chester would be an immense help to Vlaar as he doesn't have to keep "child-minding" Clark and Baker... Don't get me wrong I like both of them but we are asking too much for them both to be starting next to each other week in, week out.. Chester has been a bit of a rock for Hull and fits the bill for our ethos!

Baptistao is a bit of a hit and hope.... no link to him anywhere but I'd love us to go and get him, he has a release clause of 8m Euros.... for him thats a bargain.. Problem would be that there's a few clubs in for him!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

Except we're not actually that shit. Am I the only one that can see that?

In an alternative universe we'd have battered Southampton last weekend. Sometimes when you're down you're down and the chips don't fall for you.

We're not the worst side in the league and we're far from the worst Villa side I've seen. I think we've a good chance of going down because our luck is in, injuries have decimated us and our confidence has been shattered as a result at the worst possible time.

There is talent in this squad and I'm confident they'll make a good show of it going forward. I just hope it's not too late.

We need signings though, absolutely no question about that. My fingers are crossed.

I agree entirely with this which is why I am finding it very frustrating that we haven't yet made the 2 or 3 signings I believe can see us safe. I have said it before but had we have already signed during this window a proven at this level central midfielder and centre half we’d already be 3 points better off.

Also it seems some seem to think dropping into the Championship might not be such a bad thing. I’d be very wary of having that kind of mindset. I am sure Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wednesday supporters thought they would have a quick stint in that division and come straight back up stronger. They haven’t and I am sure the novelty of playing outside the top flight has well and truly worn off.

We as the supporters of this great club should never accept this club not playing in the top flight. That really should just be a given.

Edited by markavfc40

Starting to think we will sign Dorrans after the WBA game. Not something I would be too ex

cited about but i wouldn't be surprised either.

I think if we lost to baggies then signed one of their rejects VT would go into meltdown

What i dont get is why did Lambert come to Villa? The board obviously had to sell it to him with regards promise of ambition/money to rebuild a squad after last years debacle.

Has to cash there for a couple of big signings. And im not talking about Dale Stevens either.

He built the Norwich team with £6M over three years, in one summer he has spent £23M here. The answer would most likely be Villa represented a better opportunity than Norwich.

I'd guess we still do too.

I think the plan was always get through this season, and then build from there, nobody wants to drop into the championship, but i guess as long as Lerner can stomach it then the plan doesn't change all that much, Lamberts policy always seems to have been to buy younger players from lower leagues and mould a team that way.

I'm sure someone just said that we're not the worst team in the league...

I'd love to agree but I'm finding the evidence against that statement quite hard to ignore I'm afraid...

What, evidence like us not being bottom of the league?

• Like 1