January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

You think Warnock's wages were covered by Bolton ? or Hutton's by Nottingham Forest ? You think Rennes can afford Makoun's wages ? We're saddled with these players and their wages until their contracts expire.

Maybe my figures are slightly off, i have never professed that they were gospel, it was meant as an indication as to why we can't keep wasting money on 30 something players looking for one last big payday, even in a time when maybe our team is crying out for some experience. Bury you head in the sand if you like, argue of £5M per year, but the point remains the same we can't sustain the payments we have to make to these players that contribute so little (regardless of the reason), and at the same time bring in more equally high earners.

I don't think were far apart on this. The initial post was that for £27m a year we were getting nothing. I Agree we are not getting an awful lot (however were it not for Bents goal v WBA we would be in relegation zone) - I wouldn't want to run with Guzan as the sole keeper - I prefer Gabby in\Around the squad than say Albrighton. And I think Warnock\Hutton might have made christmas not quite so disastrous.

I hope when those players move on - we can bring in some quality. But its going to cost us - and there is no guarantee that a player will perform for the duration of his contract - its a running cost im afraid.

Lets not forget this time last year, Heskey, Cuellar, Beye - if only we could move those on, the manager would have some scope in the transfer market.

16 appearances at the half way point of the season isn't hardly playing in my book. As for what he loves doing I'd imagine winning matches and trophies is high on the list and he will do more of that there and yes earn more money. Why the hell would he want to leave?

Joe Cole? Yeah right. He went to Liverpool on a Bosman for £80k a week, he has now gone back to WHU with them picking up £30k of his wages and Liverpool paying the rest.

I thought Joe Cole had been sold to Wham - not loaned? How could Liverpool be substituting his wages if it was a sale?

I thought Joe Cole had been sold to Wham - not loaned? How could Liverpool be substituting his wages if it was a sale?

Pay off covering the difference in wages. Just like Given when he came here for example.

Edited by LockStockVilla

Pay off covering the difference in wages. Just like Given when he came here for example.

Dunne, Given & Ireland did the same to come to us, so surely a deal could be worked out because they are on alot more than £30K at Villa,

but if he's not interested in coming for the reasons Trent gives even though he's not such a regular as he was in the team -

then Lambert will just have to find a player who does want to play for Aston Villa.

Edited by JulieB

If it wasn't obvious before, today showed we badly need new and better players, not just more of what we already have.

We beat Ipswich, big whoop! Lamberts men did the mere minimum for once wich is good but nothing more than what must be expected.

By all means enjoy this,

Go ahead and clap. Mediocrity deserves applause. Why don't we go find a Ford Focus and clap around it!

Oi whats wrong with my Focus!

What was nice to see today after all the discussion about lower league players over the past few days was actually yet again they looked pretty decent.

Joe Bennett was MOTM & his cross for the goal was top draw

& Bowery who played wide left with him got a standing ovation when he was substituted.

Albeit only against Ipswich.

What was nice to see today after all the discussion about lower league players over the past few days was actually yet again they looked pretty decent.

Joe Bennett was MOTM & his cross for the goal was top draw

& Bowery who played wide left with him got a standing ovation when he was substituted.

Albeit only against Ipswich.

I actually thought Bowery looked pretty tidy against wigan. Certainly worth his place on the bench at the moment.

Bennett just looks a bit lightweight - although it is still early days for him.

I actually thought Bowery looked pretty tidy against wigan. Certainly worth his place on the bench at the moment.

Bennett just looks a bit lightweight - although it is still early days for him.

He is skinny bit for a FB - maybe send Bennett up to Stoke's Gym cos they've all beefed up by the looks of things.

People forget he had no preseason as he got injured & he's picked up a knock since he arrived. So I don't think he's quite there yet but getting better.

Showed some lovely skills again but also made a couple of errors.

Interesting that the other LB who Lambert was interested in signing - the one the press knew about at least - Aaron Cresswell played today & played well too.

I was told Bowery was gash at Chesterfield TBH - Bambi on Ice they called him apparently - Surprised me today if I'm honest played much better than I thought he would.

Edited by JulieB

From that list there are a few that could help us, and if we made bids now maybe get cheaper (could also damage a few teams around us too)

Frimpong

Turnball (if we were to shift Given)

Distin (only really a short term option)

Hangeland

Simpson (not sure if he is actually any good, but possibly at end of contract if Lichaj goes)

Nelson (again sort term, VERY short term)

Puncheon (has been quite good so far and would unsettle Southampton)

Shotton (would give us a bit of thuggary and a long throw, anyone seen that Delap fella?)

Brunt

Figueroa

Boyce

Im obviously not saying sign all these, but they can all do a job. Even making bids for some of those players now could unsettle the player and possibly the club e.g Southampton and Wigan.

From that list there are a few that could help us, and if we made bids now maybe get cheaper (could also damage a few teams around us too)

Frimpong

Turnball (if we were to shift Given)

Distin (only really a short term option)

Hangeland

Simpson (not sure if he is actually any good, but possibly at end of contract if Lichaj goes)

Nelson (again sort term, VERY short term)

Puncheon (has been quite good so far and would unsettle Southampton)

Shotton (would give us a bit of thuggary and a long throw, anyone seen that Delap fella?)

Brunt

Figueroa

Boyce

Im obviously not saying sign all these, but they can all do a job. Even making bids for some of those players now could unsettle the player and possibly the club e.g Southampton and Wigan.

I like all of them in some capacity. Hangeland especially MUST be worth a cheeky £4m bid this January. I understand that his contract situation might make that a tough sell to the board but there's no way we'll get him on a Bosman in my opinion. Not sure why he would come at all, but maybe his agent will get a little twitchy.

Worth a punt.