January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I just don't see us going for wide players, we aren't set up to play with wingers and I don't see Lambert changing that in January. He just doesn't seem like a 4-4-2 type of manager so I'd expect CB's, CM's and forwards to be what we are looking at in January.

Can't agree Trent, since we've changed to 4231 some of our best play has been down the wings - the two Utd goals were both from crosses from the byline. I think a pacy winger that can cross could be in Lambert's sights - someone better suited to the job Weimann is currently doing on down the right?

Can't agree Trent, since we've changed to 4231 some of our best play has been down the wings - the two Utd goals were both from crosses from the byline. I think a pacy winger that can cross could be in Lambert's sights - someone better suited to the job Weimann is currently doing on down the right?

N'Zogbia? I still havent given up on him.

I'm curious as to what type of forward Lambert will look to buy (either to replace Bent or to play in a wide position, maybe to provide competition for Wiemann).

Would he go for a Gareth Bale-type winger, that has ability infront of goal as well as in a wide position?

Maybe a smaller, skillful flair player, ala-Suarez?

Or an actual 'forward', like Gabby, that can also play out wide?

I don't dispute we've scored as a result of some crosses or that some of our best play has come out wide, we don't though play with wingers and I don't see that changing.

I mentioned that I thought forwards would be an area we continue to look at and that could be at the expense of Weimann, Gabby or both. I think that is quite likely, but they aren't playing as wingers and any replacements for those players are unlikely to do so either.

Haha yeah maybe :D

Two years ago then? :P

No, I'm joking. I just didn't know how to describe the type of player I mean. Someone with those qualities I've mentioned before though, leading, experienced, can motivate and calm, gets about the pitch.

Seedorf has a career record of 1 goal in 7 games which would be good enough for this type of player I envision.

Especially as Seedorf links a lot of play and adds assists to his game.

Maybe we'll have it in Westwood. :) But I still think we need someone 28-32, still full of desire.

I know what you mean

Westwod won't be that player in terms of goals. I think his goalscoring record will be of Makelele proportions (that's not a bad thing, I really really like Westwood)

But I know what you're getting at.

i too dont know what to make on nzogbia

/

wikipedia stats are that he scored 15 goals in 83 appearance for wigan, maybe he just desires a drive to perform by scoring goals, maybe push him forward into attack?

surely hes got to have some us? :-/

N'Zogbia? I still havent given up on him.

I think we need to give zog a run at playing in a 4231 in the hole where he is allowed to stay in attack.

Once he gets some good play and crowd get behind him he will naturally get back and help out in midfield as his confidence is higher and he feels good.

If we stick him on the wing he won't have the same work ethic as gabby or weiman to cover their full back

I don't dispute we've scored as a result of some crosses or that some of our best play has come out wide, we don't though play with wingers and I don't see that changing.

I mentioned that I thought forwards would be an area we continue to look at and that could be at the expense of Weimann, Gabby or both. I think that is quite likely, but they aren't playing as wingers and any replacements for those players are unlikely to do so either.

I don't agree Trent. When I see us I see gabby and weimman out wide when the oppossiton have the ball to create a 5 man midfield. I think both players have a tendency to come inside when we attack which I think is down to how they naturally play. I think we look so poor going forward because we don't have good options out wide.

Now I'm not suggesting these as signings but the likes of young, downing, Moses, hoillet playing either side of Benteke is what we need.

I think we'd look a lot better if we had options out wide that can create and beat defenders.

When I see us I see gabby and weimman out wide when the oppossiton have the ball to create a 5 man midfield. I think both players have a tendency to come inside when we attack which I think is down to how they naturally play. I think we look so poor going forward because we don't have good options out wide.

I agree but they are strikers playing as forwards being asked to drop deep when we lose the ball, they are not playing as wingers.

I think we'd look a lot better if we had options out wide that can create and beat defenders.

I'm not saying we wouldn't but I don't believe we are playing with wingers and I don't believe we will try and sign a winger in January.

Haha yeah maybe :D

Two years ago then? :P

No, I'm joking. I just didn't know how to describe the type of player I mean. Someone with those qualities I've mentioned before though, leading, experienced, can motivate and calm, gets about the pitch.

Seedorf has a career record of 1 goal in 7 games which would be good enough for this type of player I envision.

Especially as Seedorf links a lot of play and adds assists to his game.

Maybe we'll have it in Westwood. :) But I still think we need someone 28-32, still full of desire.

The player you want is Scott Parker.