January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

It would probably be fair enough as long as Lambert has the last call though. So Lerner has maybe said the £3m is part of the transfer kitty and will need to be paid - it's up to you Paul. In which case Lambert's not really covering for anyone, he's made the call himself.

I just don't see how a manager, particularly one like Lambert is going to agree to be grilled repeatedly by the press and lie to cover Lerner's ass at RL's request. I'd be pretty disappointed if Lambert did agree to that.

Ive said this elsewhere.....For his faults Lerner seems like someone not to interfere - even perhaps when he should. - Lambert doesn't strike me a yes man either. - so I don't think its an imposed sale.

Got to say I think selling Bent is a very poor move.

im slightly confused now about general opinion on here of what positions need strengthening (although whatever we say means nothing to what PL actually does in the window)

weve already been linked to a few players but typical villa, theres nothing firm yet

a few people, including me, said we need a left back, one has been mentioned, yet a few are saying we dont need a new LB even though its clear we are weak in this position

same has been said about centre back

a few have said we need a defensive midfielder, but we have herd, westwood, delph and even el ahmadi who can pay that role, so why do we need a fifth?

a left winger has been mentioned, but we arent playing wingers now, were playing 3 strikers with one out wide, also, isnt it time to give carruthers a chance?

and lastly, striker, if bent leaves, maybe so, but is the next striker going to be willing to sit on the bench behind benteke, gabby, andi and bowery?

a few people, including me, said we need a left back, one has been mentioned, yet a few are saying we dont need a new LB even though its clear we are weak in this position

We have four players in our squad capable of playing there without any difficulty. Bennett, Stevens, Lichaj and Delph. I do not think we are weak there

IMHO we need central defensive strengthening, central midfield strengthening, forward line strengthening and selling given to get a goalkeeper in.

Can't see CB being a priority until the summer now.

In reality we'll be lucky to sign any more than 2 players capable of going into the first team, if that. In which case we'll need a central midfielder (though even that lends itself open to Lambert giving KEA more time) and a forward player, either a striker, or more realistically someone like Zaha who can rotate with Gabby and Weimann.

bent started 6 games we scored 5 goals in those 6 games ( 1 of those we were down to 10 men)

games bent has not started 8 scored 6

and in one of those bent came on as a sub and scored

so the stats this season also prove we score more with him than without him so we are factually LESS likely to score without him in the current system

So we'll just disregard the opposition then?

Am I the only one that thinks Bent is overrated?

We have four players in our squad capable of playing there without any difficulty. Bennett, Stevens, Lichaj and Delph. I do not think we are weak there

to add baker and derrick williams to that list as well, but between the 6 of them, none of them are world beaters

im slightly confused now about general opinion on here of what positions need strengthening (although whatever we say means nothing to what PL actually does in the window)

weve already been linked to a few players but typical villa, theres nothing firm yet

same has been said about centre back

a few have said we need a defensive midfielder, but we have herd, westwood, delph and even el ahmadi who can pay that role, so why do we need a fifth?

a left winger has been mentioned, but we arent playing wingers now, were playing 3 strikers with one out wide, also, isnt it time to give carruthers a chance?

and lastly, striker, if bent leaves, maybe so, but is the next striker going to be willing to sit on the bench behind benteke, gabby, andi and bowery?

THIS!!

Villa's BIGGEST issue is at Centre Back. We need a new CB. Dunne will be off soon leaving 3 CB's - one arguably inexperienced in Baker.

or more realistically someone like Zaha who can rotate with Gabby and Weimann.

I can't see us getting Zaha 'Shillzz.' Just too much interest in him from the top six but we could twist Harry's arm a little if he wants Bent by proposing a swap plus cash coming our way for Junior Hoilett?

Chester?

You've changed your tune from a couple of weeks back.

Here's a quote from you in the James Chester thread:

So this is the type of quality we're going to buy in january. No surprises.

Thought he wasn't good enough, what's changed?

I can't see us getting Zaha 'Shillzz.' Just too much interest in him from the top six but we could twist Harry's arm a little if he wants Bent by proposing a swap plus cash coming our way for Junior Hoilett?

Pretty sure it was rumoured that arry was interested in hoillett in the summer so cant see him letting him go straight away...plus qpr have a lot of money anyway..

For me our priorities in order are:

CB

DCM

ACM

Winger/Wide forward

But if bent goes, will also need another striker...

Plays week in week out for them. At 17 to be playing at that level and starting is a great achievement. Derby aren't too bad either.

I guess cost would be an issue though, he is rated very highly.