Ashley Young

maqroll

The reality is there’s no guarantee that Young’s body will hold up for another 12 months and the level the manager will be wanting the team to play at next season, let alone the extra games.

Just like when he left the club for Man Utd, the manager has made a decision which is best for Aston Villa. We can be sentimental about it as fans, but we are in a far better place now as a club and Young has been part of that journey over the past 2 seasons and helped make us a better team with his leadership.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Is this thread STILL not in Other Football!?

I seem to recall it was put there this time last year when he was “let go” and then had to be hoiked back a few days later when we signed him again. 🙂 

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Given that he said on Sunday, “We will all enjoy this together, hopefully I’ll be able to be part of those European Nights like I was in 2010”, this doesn’t look like it was his choice, nor that he actually knew it was coming.

I feel we need a better explanation from club, player, or both, about how this decision was arrived at.

The usual hollow cliches about great service, thanks for all the fish, etc., don’t really seem enough.

It has been a joy watching him skipping about the pitch like a teenager since he returned and it’s perhaps not too much of an exaggeration to say there were times in our darker hours when he looked like he was the only person on the pitch who cared about our performance and knew what needed to be done. 

Whatever the rationale for the decision, I think it has been poorly handled.

I don't see how it's poorly handled. The club were quite consistent that contracts would not be discussed until the end of the season. The same statement was made for Mings, Watkins and the likes or Archer even. They will sit down at the end of the season and decide. At least in Ashleys case they even said it would be decided quickly. 

It's a brutal business but until the weekend the club didn't know if it was playing European football or not. They didn't know if they wee finishing 7th or 9th which has financial implications. 

We may not like the outcome but I think the club has been very professional and consistent. Even down to making sure that Ashley was the first to know and nothing leaked in the press. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What about money?

Given the stage of his career I can't see him asking for 6 figures per week, I guarantee he is realistic about how much he is worth, plus he is really the only one on the team who is fluent in the dark arts on the pitch, so I wouldn't be worried about paying overs for another season

Who knows, maybe we couldn't offer him the minutes he wanted next season (told him we're targeting a new RB possibly) and maybe it was partly his decision. Let's see what else comes out.

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't see how it's poorly handled. The club were quite consistent that contracts would not be discussed until the end of the season. The same statement was made for Mings, Watkins and the likes or Archer even. They will sit down at the end of the season and decide. At least in Ashleys case they even said it would be decided quickly. 

It's a brutal business but until the weekend the club didn't know if it was playing European football or not. They didn't know if they wee finishing 7th or 9th which has financial implications. 

We may not like the outcome but I think the club has been very professional and consistent. Even down to making sure that Ashley was the first to know and nothing leaked in the press. 

29 May - Ashley Young: I hope to stay for next season 

31 May - AVFC - thanks but you are sacked 

Doesn’t feel like there could have been much if a discussion.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree.

People saying there's no room for sentiment...  come on, what do you think someone like Mings or McGinn feels watching this play out? This is a club that will spit me out at the end without a second's thought? Why should I show them any loyalty?

They’re grown adults being handsomely paid. They know what they signed up for. The club isn’t exactly leaving Young homeless. Young left us before when it suited him. McGinn and Mings will know when their time is up. Young was slowing up a lot. It was the right decision in my opinion. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't believe that the club was still debating giving young a new contract following the last game and already knew what they were going to do. They could of announced it beforehand to give the fans and player a chance to have a proper send off.

The decision itself could have gone either way and am not concerned about young leaving, but I think it could have been handled better by the club. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

Good luck Ash.  One of my favourite players when he was here on his first stint.  Was upset when he left.  Was unsure when he came back.  But he has been awesome on the pitch and on the training ground.  I hope he comes back in a coaching role and he's one of those players that you think would be great to work with players at any level within the club.

5 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

They’re grown adults being handsomely paid. They know what they signed up for. The club isn’t exactly leaving Young homeless. Young left us before when it suited him. McGinn and Mings will know when their time is up. Young was slowing up a lot. It was the right decision in my opinion. 

Right, but when they move somewhere else to be even more handsomely paid we accuse them of being greedy and disloyal.

I just feel like if we want players to care about the club and show "passion" we kind of have to from time to time treat someone like Young a little more fairly. It's not even the lack of contract, it's the way he's just clearly been binned a few days after saying he'd like to be here next season, and not having a proper send off from the fans.

That's the kind of ruthlessness that seems pointlessly, carelessly ruthless to me.

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Given that he said on Sunday, “We will all enjoy this together, hopefully I’ll be able to be part of those European Nights like I was in 2010”, this doesn’t look like it was his choice, nor that he actually knew it was coming.

I feel we need a better explanation from club, player, or both, about how this decision was arrived at.

The usual hollow cliches about great service, thanks for all the fish, etc., don’t really seem enough.

It has been a joy watching him skipping about the pitch like a teenager since he returned and it’s perhaps not too much of an exaggeration to say there were times in our darker hours when he looked like he was the only person on the pitch who cared about our performance and knew what needed to be done. 

Whatever the rationale for the decision, I think it has been poorly handled.

Agree. Shows a lack of understanding from the club about important things, such as fans saying goodbye to genuinely one of the best servants the club has had this century.

Would've been much easier to get for fans and player if this was resolved - whichever way - before Brighton at the latest. Not as if there's not been enough time.

• Like 1

He was really good as a stabilising influence when he came in in the later stages of games, and tbf he did much better than I expected when starting during the period Cash was injured, but idk if it was sustainable for much longer to have a situation where one injury means your only fit right back is a 38 year old. If you're swimming in cash and can afford to keep him around as utility sub and more occasional starter that's one thing, but we probably can't afford to keep that up. Brighton have some compararively big gaps in their midfield and wage bill about to appear so Milner maybe easier to accommodate

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

29 May - Ashley Young: I hope to stay for next season 

31 May - AVFC - thanks but you are sacked 

Doesn’t feel like there could have been much if a discussion.

Except he hasn't been sacked.  Maybe both sides would have liked to come to a deal but that the offer / demands were so far apart that no compromise was going to be possible - for example we might have hoped that a coach/emergency back-up role would work but Ash wants another season of playing most games.  It would be pretty clear in that situation that there was no compromise position and that rather than "lie" or spend a long time trying to come up with a compromise - both parties agreed to give themselves the most amount of time possible to find other options.  It is also possible that there is a deal on the table that Young can come back to, if he can't get a deal somewhere else that will give him more playing time.

We have a small squad as it is....and with room for improvement outside the fist 11 in general let alone the bench.

We need numbers with Europe too....i would have kept him for this and for his experience in around the dressing room. He knows he wouldn't get many minutes but at his age I think he would have taken another year deal.

Dare I say it....if only he was younger I would have him over cash....cash Sunday just looks a liability everytime the ball goes wide....so much space given up and backs off.

We must be in for another RB maybe two because cash as no1 is not good for me 

Â