C of E Schools?

Genie

Hi Looking for some information from the always wise VT faithful :D

Little bit of background, my son is 2 and has just started at a really nice nursery down the road from us. This nursery is linked to a primary school that has excellent OFSTED reports. The nursery suggest we get his name down ASAP for a place as it is very popular. The school however is a Church of England school and I was wondering what that meant in my son's day to day studies? Is it much different to a 'standard' primary school? Will there be a huge amount of R.E compared to others? Neither of us parents are religious, we got married abroad and never go to church (although we were both baptised as children).

The other thing to consider (thinking long term) is that this primary school is the main feeder school for the best high school in the area.

So, a C of E school, much different to other schools?

My attitude is, if it benefits his prospects and his further education in the future, then just play their silly game. It's no skin off your nose! But I'll leave the question of school differences to those who know.

In short NO. They still have to teach the National Curriculum so RE will get the same level of time as any other.

The church has some input eg. The local Vicar will be on the Board of Governors and the Diocese will have some input into selecting some Governors but beyond that it is a totally normal school.

There may be a little more religion than a Community Primary (eg. singing hymns in assembly) but it absolutely won't be populated by religion nutters and bible bashers.

Get him in there.

My attitude is, if it benefits him further down the line, just play their silly game. It's no skin off your nose!

yep this

CofE schools don't tend to brainwash them and they don't molest the kids in the way the catholic schools do either so not to worry about

I went to a Catholic school and in my experience you didn't get much RE lessons (I assume the same as any other school) but it was obviously all Catholic focused when you did get it. You never really learnt about any other religions.

As I understand it, CofE schools are much less religion focused. For example, in the Catholic school we had to make our communion and confirmation and do church services and all that malarky. I don't think CofE schools do as much of that stuff.

I went to a CoE Primary school and the regular religious element involved saying the Lord's Prayer in Assembly every morning. We also did Easter and Harvest Festival services at the village church.

Not exactly a hotbed of religious indoctrination.

As I understand it, CofE schools are much less religion focused. For example, in the Catholic school we had to make our communion and confirmation and do church services and all that malarky. I don't think CofE schools do as much of that stuff.

How did your child brain handle that communion is literally cannibalism?

I went to a CofE.

It was great. Every October we got to doss around in a nice old Church for Harvest Festival instead of doing work.

As Awol says, its pretty light tough. You sing a hymn in assembly and you’d say a prayer before lunch.

I once went into an RC High School to do a talk and was taken aback by the religious imagery everywhere; pictures of Cardinals and Saints, with statues of the Virgin Mary on every corner.

I went to a Catholic school, although I'm not catholic, and it defiantly had a strong religious background, e.g. 2 masses a term etc. In terms of education, if the school has an outstanding OFSTED report that speaks for itself. In my opinion the fact it is a c of e school may round your sons morals more and have a positive effect. I'd defiantly send him there.

I went to a CoE Primary school and the regular religious element involved saying the Lord's Prayer in Assembly every morning. We also did Easter and Harvest Festival services at the village church.

Not exactly a hotbed of religious indoctrination.

This is my experience too.

Agree with the comments so far. C of E schools are basically OK.

My daughters moved to a C of E primary from a non-aligned one, and they said the RE aspect was OK - not even exclusively Christian - although they were slightly bemused and disappointed that the kids were 99% white (unlike their previous, very multicultural school), with a proportion of parent-indoctrinated budding racists. But that was more to do with the area TBH.

I'd say go for it.

Like every other catholic child, didn't even think about it.

Course, it's hard to think of anything else when you've got a priest's cock up your arse...

Like every other catholic child, didn't even think about it.

Course, it's hard to think of anything else when you've got a priest's cock up your arse...

You lucky lucky bastard - the times I dreamed about a priest's cock up my arse when I was kneeling there on a lumpy hassock with my mouth full of the cardinals staff........

I'm in a similar position with EastEndVillan Jnr, who'll start school Sept 13. Closest school is a very good Catholic school. Wife says over her dead body is he going to a religious school. I'd normally concur, but tinged with a dose of pragmatism of the school being 2 mins up the road, and the alternatives being much further away.

Aaaaarrrhhhhhh.

• 2 weeks later...

CofE schools are definitely linked heavily with religion as they are partially funded by the Church. The schools also follow the diocese planning for RE and thus will teach 70% Christianity and 30% other religions. There is 1 RE lesson a week and the children will have worship (assembly) everyday where they will pray and sing a hymn. I hope that helps. (I teach in a CofE Primary School if you want anymore help). Also, I cannot believe people wouldn't send their child to an outstanding school, if it was slightly linked the Church. Every child has to learn about religion, and from my teaching career, children absolutely love RE as its a bit different and they like the "miracles" that are performed. Nobody is preached to in the slightest.

I went to a CofE primary. We did a Christmas play and harvest festival and we sang hymns in assembly once a week. The vicar would come to assembly maybe twice a year. Horrific, indoctrinating and malicious. No cocks up the arse mind.

Nah seriously, it was fine. Because I was never force fed religion at home, I never really understood what they were all talking about anyway. And none of the teachers were religious either, so it made no difference, it was something you had to do very occasionally

I'd have no hesitation if it were my child. It's what you teach them that is important, the school can only do so much.

Â