Media and punditry

BOF

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I think he might have the world’s smallest penis

I did chuckle at his reply to Gary Neville though. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Joey Barton with a few choice things to say on X about female pundits again. 

Eni Aluko is a terrible pundit. Not because she's a woman though.  And to compare her to a serial killer certainly says more about Joey than her.  He's lost his mind, assuming he ever had it.

It’s about time Barton was fully cancelled by football. He should have been when he put out a cigar on a youth players eye let alone when he went to prison for viciously assaulting a teenager. Complete and utter Neanderthal. 

• Like 3

Big Dion, seems a lovely bloke and loves the Villa, but he really doesn’t understand modern tactics. Just then saying Martinez shouldn’t be slowly the ball down, when that is our tactic to force the press. 

• Like 3

I remember a time when radio/TV commentary and pundits was superb. 

It seems now days that it's all about saying stuff to get interactions on social media.

The depth of knowledge from pundits is woeful, commentators don't seem to have a clue which player is which and the whole round experience watching or listening to a game is a shell of its former self. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as they are getting more and more of these Tiktok, YouTube, Instagram clowns involved on their platforms. 

Give me Radio 5 & Mike Ingham any day over this dross. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Eni Aluko is a terrible pundit. Not because she's a woman though.  And to compare her to a serial killer certainly says more about Joey than her.  He's lost his mind, assuming he ever had it.

Joeys main problem with it all is that he doesn't have a point because male pundits are absolutely **** terrible 

The likes of aluko and whatever her name is that's a cockney from Solihull are not good pundits but they're not worse 

Alex Scott is alright 

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I remember a time when radio/TV commentary and pundits was superb. 

It seems now days that it's all about saying stuff to get interactions on social media.

The depth of knowledge from pundits is woeful, commentators don't seem to have a clue which player is which and the whole round experience watching or listening to a game is a shell of its former self. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as they are getting more and more of these Tiktok, YouTube, Instagram clowns involved on their platforms. 

Give me Radio 5 & Mike Ingham any day over this dross. 

Its all part of the football saturation, showing so many games a week means more inept pundits which means shitter analysis

Suppose its media as well but the 20 players in the voting for  Premier League 2023 Team of the Year contains no Villa candidates

On this basis Emery must have manager of the decade wrapped up for his performance so far

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Joeys main problem with it all is that he doesn't have a point because male pundits are absolutely **** terrible 

The likes of aluko and whatever her name is that's a cockney from Solihull are not good pundits but they're not worse 

Alex Scott was alright 

FFY

People seem to havet this strange fantasy that pundits should offer amazing and insightful analysis, you're not going to get that they have a few moments to speak and they're watching the game live or they've just watched it, they're never going to think of something particularly interesting to say, truth be told because there isn't actually much of great depth that can be said in those moments, we're watching the game for ourselves so we know what's going on.

I don't understand why people take so much notice of it, I watch games and don't bother with all the 'analysis',

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

People seem to havet this strange fantasy that pundits should offer amazing and insightful analysis, you're not going to get that they have a few moments to speak and they're watching the game live or they've just watched it, they're never going to think of something particularly interesting to say, truth be told because there isn't actually much of great depth that can be said in those moments, we're watching the game for ourselves so we know what's going on.

I don't understand why people take so much notice of it, I watch games and don't bother with all the 'analysis',

Is that you Micah? 😆

Just now, useless said:

Dunno about that 

Would be nice to get the impression it wasn't their first time ever watching Aston villa every now and then though 

I dont watch any pre game, HT or post game stuff anymore

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, useless said:

then what is a pundits job? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, useless said:

That’s a bit downbeat. There are plenty of people on twitter with tactical analysis background breaking down the game in real time. The problem with TV is that they pick the ex players, most of whom have nothing between their ears- if they did they’d be managers, not pundits.

They need to start getting more people in the mould of Michael Cox or the Tifo bunch who actually know how to look at/explain tactical points in the game 

No it's not bloody downbeat, I don't expect great analysis from TV pundits, it shouldn't be expected in the time they have, if you don't like it then just watch the game instead of taking notice of what they say.

People on twitter have more time to take in the game, so of course if they know what they're taking about they can offer greater analysis, but if you put them on the spot during game or moments after it's finished their input wouldn't be as interesting.

The people on the TV are essentially there to offer the most basic of description and to be entertaining in some way

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its all part of the football saturation, showing so many games a week means more inept pundits which means shitter analysis

And far more experts online with people plugged in to football 24/7 that you can easily spot "flaws" in what some pundit says about the particular team you support and spend time pouring over, again, pretty much 24/7.

We live in the most accessible age for absolutely anything.

I don't expect pundits to know as much about Aston Villa as I do; and I, in turn, know essentially **** all about any other team.  You're not going to get people giving tactical analysis of the Middlesbrough and Aston Villa's systems during an FA Cup game.

Half time Richards was saying Cash is getting to isolated out on the far right and he needs to start cutting in field to isolate their player with Bailey. He obviously wasn't watching the game because Cash cut infield at nearly every opportunity. 

Posted (edited)

I think it’s probably too much to expect brilliant analysis in such a quick time.

It’s probably not unreasonable to expect an ok level of analysis in such a short amount of time. 

But I’m not massively bothered. What I tend to do is just listen to whether they think contentious moment was indeed a foul or not. And that’s just to see whether I can determine how consistent they’re being in their views on a broader level regarding other contentious moments.

After that it’s white noise and/or I’m pouring the tea.

The co commentators annoy me more. Or at least they have the potential to do so. And it’s difficult when it’s someone whom, at least their persona, I generally quite like as in Dion Dublin’s case tonight. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â