Media and punditry

BOF

18 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Of the ones I can think of on Sky/TNT:

Ian Darke: Weirdly serious/dramatic tone. Sounds like he's reporting from a war zone. 

Seb Hutchinson: Pretty enjoyable. Thought he was good in the last world cup, especially with Andros Townsend on co-comms. 

John Champion: Very good when paired with Ally McCoist, ok with everyone else. 

Darren Fletcher: Annoying in a pub bore kind of way. Him and Jenas are a one-way ticket to snoozeville. Also I get irrationally angry when he shouts BENZYMARRR! 

All the other commentators: Have not done enough for me to notice them and that is a good thing. 

Ian Darke is mainly a boxing commentator so its probably why he is a bit more dramatic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Of the ones I can think of on Sky/TNT:

Ian Darke: Weirdly serious/dramatic tone. Sounds like he's reporting from a war zone. 

Seb Hutchinson: Pretty enjoyable. Thought he was good in the last world cup, especially with Andros Townsend on co-comms. 

John Champion: Very good when paired with Ally McCoist, ok with everyone else. 

Darren Fletcher: Annoying in a pub bore kind of way. Him and Jenas are a one-way ticket to snoozeville. Also I get irrationally angry when he shouts BENZYMARRR! 

All the other commentators: Have not done enough for me to notice them and that is a good thing. 

Rob Hawthorne has done it for decades and never gets a mention, just solid and reliable and usually gets the tone right.  My favourite combo was always Kevin Keatings and Gerry Armstrong when they did La Liga.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ian Darke is mainly a boxing commentator so its probably why he is a bit more dramatic

Ian Darke is one of my faves. No-nonsense, no poetry, good voice, enthusiastic without sounding forced and provides excellent broader context.

• Like 1

I agree that Martin Tyler has lost a step, but he was the guy I heard the most when I first started watching English football back the mid 90s, and I really liked him. He did much more than just call games, he provided me an education about the clubs, players, grounds, history. And he was much more eloquent than most American sports announcers, and had generally smarter observations.  I'll always admire Martin Tyler and it saddens me when I see really rancid vitriol directed at him. He's a gentleman and an elder and should be given a bit of leeway in his older years. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

So. Um. Tifo like us now! 

Good video. However as we're 3rd on points over the 34 games this year then I'd suggest our away form isn't as bad as critical as they make out. It needs improving and I'm sure it will. Just as at some point our home form will take a dip. European games should hopefully be less of an issue if we can get some players back from injury and add a few in January. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ian Darke is one of my faves. No-nonsense, no poetry, good voice, enthusiastic without sounding forced and provides excellent broader context.

Same for me. Peter Brackley was still the best for me

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Good video. However as we're 3rd on points over the 34 games this year then I'd suggest our away form isn't as bad as critical as they make out. It needs improving and I'm sure it will. Just as at some point our home form will take a dip. European games should hopefully be less of an issue if we can get some players back from injury and add a few in January. 

Also, when you look at who we've played, our away form is sort of as expected.

Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, Burnley, Wolves and Forest away - 7 points.  Obviously on its own, the Forest result is poor - but overall our away record is "fine" given the teams we've played.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Also, when you look at who we've played, our away form is sort of as expected.

Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, Burnley, Wolves and Forest away - 7 points.  Obviously on its own, the Forest result is poor - but overall our away record is "fine" given the teams we've played.

I was thinking that whilst I watched the video and they showed who we played. Expected them to comment on it. If you take the Liverpool and Newcastle games out then our away form immediately looks a lot better and those games (especially Newcastle) could've been a lot tighter (the xg they showed had 3:2 I think and that was still after Mings injury).

Forest are pretty good at home. They picked up 30 of their 38 points last season at The City Ground and they are unbeaten there this season.  
I’m not trying to say it wasn’t a disappointing result but they are one of the bottom half sides who a lot of better teams will drop points to away from home. 

We do need to pick up the pace a bit though. Rationalising defeats isn’t the same as putting points on the board.  If we are shooting for 70 points and Champions League contention then 25 points away from home is a bare minimum. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Tonight for the England game we have Cole, Defoe and Lescott.  It's the perfect hatrick of awful punditry, thick, boring and humourless.  None of them have said anything interesting or insightful ever.  The mute button has been a blessing.

• Like 1

I think what happens is with various pundits is the production team says “Oh they don’t think he’s any good, eh? Let’s put him in the commentary box for 90+ minutes, see how they like that.”

And then everyone at home just relents and says “**** me. Ok, ok, point made. Just put him back with the rest of the panel with the presenter, please.”

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think what happens is with various pundits is the production team says “Oh they don’t think he’s any good, eh? Let’s put him in the commentary box for 90+ minutes, see how they like that.”

And then everyone at home just relents and says “**** me. Ok, ok, point made. Just put him back with the rest of the panel with the presenter, please.”

I think they are running out of pundits who don't see through the shite football Southgate plays.

That game could have quite easily been commentated in a much more negative way and most on here wouldn't have turned a blind eye. The fact Dublin was making it positive was close to comedy gold.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 13:29, Keyblade said:

John Champion, while having lost a bit of something over the years is still much better than Drury. Been crazy to see how he's been usurped by Drury, from being replaced as the PES commentator by him, to even stuff like his inferior calling of the "Aguero" moment being the de facto version these days. 

I remember he blamed Buendía for celebrating in front of the Everton fans last year for Digne getting hit with a bottle. 

Also, currently gets paired with Dixon for us in the states on NBC and you can clearly tell that there is a disconnect/dislike between the pair of them. 

Edited by Villaphan04

Â