Media and punditry

BOF

I'm pretty sure Gary lineker would happily give malkay MacKay a blowjob based on there arse sucking presenting tonight.

I reckon Alan Hanson would stroke garys hair whilst he did it too.

I'm pretty sure Gary lineker would happily give malkay MacKay a blowjob based on there arse sucking presenting tonight.

I think I have missed a good TV-show  :P

Just watching MOTD2 and lawro (talking about Adam Johnson) said something along the lines of 'I don't know why he left city, seems like he's took the easy option'

Now I'm not Adam Johnsons biggest fan but surely the easy option would be to rot on a bench picking up his high salary. Lawro=idiot.

You've thought about this way too much.

I think I have missed a good TV-show  :P

Depends what you're into I guess  :D

• 1 month later...

I can't remember which commentator it was, but in our game against Newcastle at the weekend, he said:

"Up comes Mike Williamson for the corner, who's always a big threat from set pieces." He then went on to explain how he hasn't scored from one for Newcastle in his entire career. 

Just the other week, someone claimed that Ron Vlaar isn't known for his shots from distance. Both of his competitive goals for us have been from 20+ yards.

And don't even get me started on Andy **** Townsend. The bias is somewhat understandable when commentating on English teams in Europe, but to constantly groan and sigh when United miss chances is nothing less than highly unprofessional in my book. It's cringey. There was also clear reluctance to give Olympiakos any credit at all. That Keane interview was refreshing.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

I can't remember which commentator it was, but in our game against Newcastle at the weekend, he said:

"Up comes Mike Williamson for the corner, who's always a big threat from set pieces." He then went on to explain how he hasn't scored from one for Newcastle in his entire career.

Just the other week, someone claimed that Ron Vlaar isn't known for his shots from distance. Both of his competitive goals for us have been from 20+ yards.

And don't even get me started on Andy **** Townsend. The bias is somewhat understandable when commentating on English teams in Europe, but to constantly groan and sigh when United miss chances is nothing less than highly unprofessional in my book. It's cringey. There was also clear reluctance to give Olympiakos any credit at all. That Keane interview was refreshing.

this reminded me of something I heard last year, a commentator on a fulham game(I think it was niall Quinn) kept saying "sascha riether the young German fullback",

or "riether showing his youthful inexperience there", he was 30 or 31. I had to Google his age just to reassure myself because the commentator was convinced he was young.

how some of these people are actually getting paid for it is beyond me.

BBC have recruited Rio Ferdinand for the world cup. High profile, but he's not the most articulate.

I may be judging a book by its cover, but sounds like they're using their usual policy of just hiring ex footballers without any regard for whether they'll actually be good at the job.

Exactly, Adebayor from the last world cup was a disaster. His English was not great, he didn't understand some of the questions being asked, and his phone went off twice live on air. They wanted an African on the panel for the African world cup which is understandable, but there were better candidates out there who may of not as been as famous, but better suited for a punditary role.

I think ex-players are really valuable on the panel, and Rio would be good.

BUT

the ex-players should be there to give a players' point of view on something.

So for example, a proper analyst (the likes of Neville or Hansen who, despite what you think about them, at least have shown they have some level of insight into the game) says something like "I think the centreback there is way too tight, he's given the striker an easy opportunity to turn him and get a shot away"

to which Rio would be asked by the presenter "Rio, what do you think? How would you have handled that situation?"

And he'd probably give a decent answer to that. Or some insight as to what would be said at half time etc etc. The kind of things a player's point of view would be interesting on.

But instead we're bound to get some "tactical analysis" from Rio which will probably involve a cobbled together series of clips with Rio giving the bog standard BBC pundit second hand play by play over the top, not actually telling us anything we didn't already know.

I'll reserve judgement until it happens, maybe he'll be surprisingly good. But I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Stevo985

I never listen to what the Pundits have to say anyway. I just turn the match on at kick off and switch off when it's done I wish there was a way of watching the actual match without commentry. Sometimes I think people expect too much there is only so much you can say on a game of football a lot of it is going to be stating the obvious.

I wish there was a way of watching the actual match without commentry. 

Put the TV on mute ?

Somehow it just doesn't sound right with no sound. I want to be able to turn commentary off while having the background noise on.

I actually prefer streams with foreign commentary I don't understand, especially over excited Spanish. 

• Like 1

Â