Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Excellent against Liverpool. Most disciplined I've ever seen him in the defensive midfielder role. Can't see how anyone thinks Sanchez should be in the team above Westwood.

I think it's because, at his best, Sanchez is probably a better player.

The difference is Westwood, when not at his best , will still give you a 7 out of 10 performance. He's remarkably consistent.

Whereas when Sanchez isn't at his best he can be an utter liability.

Until Sanchez adds consistency to his game I'll take Westwood for now.

• Like 3

When Westwood plays well it is because he is aggressive and tenacious in winning the ball back. Thought he did that superbly on Sunday. When he doesn't do that he can sometimes be a bit passive in letting players run past him and losing the midfield.

I'd be poking him with a stick prior to every game trying to get him angry.

• Like 1

The two games that stand in my mind regarding Westwood were Sunday and Liverpool (a) earlier in the season.

He's had other games where he's done ok, but he's definitely had plenty where he's below a 7.

Edited by Woodytom

I don't see how his performance last week was really much different than the majority of his performances since he arrived to be honest.

He defended well.

Excellent against Liverpool. Most disciplined I've ever seen him in the defensive midfielder role. Can't see how anyone thinks Sanchez should be in the team above Westwood.

The difference is Westwood, when not at his best , will still give you a 7 out of 10 performance. He's remarkably consistent.

I don't even know how you can conclude Sanchez is probably a better player.  It might be pretty harsh but, aside from a game against Sunderland, he's been a liability every single game for us.

Could be down to not having fully settled in England but he looks leggy most games, slow when on the ball and prone to passing to the opposition... generally in a defensive area of the field.  As I said previously in the thread somewhere, I can't remember a big mistake that Westwood has made.  Sanchez has made a ton and he's barely played for Villa comparatively.

I don't even know how you can conclude Sanchez is probably a better player.  It might be pretty harsh but, aside from a game against Sunderland, he's been a liability every single game for us.

Could be down to not having fully settled in England but he looks leggy most games, slow when on the ball and prone to passing to the opposition... generally in a defensive area of the field.  As I said previously in the thread somewhere, I can't remember a big mistake that Westwood has made.  Sanchez has made a ton and he's barely played for Villa comparatively.

Well I specifically said that "at his best" Sanchez is a better player.

I'm in total agreement with you, his best doesn't come very regularly at all. And he's a liability when he's poor.

If he can settle and add consistency then he's probably the better option, but imo we'll get more consistent performances out of Westwood.

It's nice to have options. Neither should be a certain starter. We have the luxury of being able to choose between them if forms change.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I meant more... have I even seen his best?  When was it?  I can speculate he "may be" a better player, but I haven't seen it at all.  Possibly against Sunderland - but I'd rather have Westwood's performance against Liverpool... and in generally.

Just don't see it with Sanchez, personally.  Very likeable guy though, which is good.

That's simply not true. Sunderland was the pinnicle of a longer run over December (starting with the United game) until January where he was arguably our best player.

Edited by Isa

That's simply not true. Sunderland was the pinnicle of a longer run over December (starting with the United game) until January where he was arguably our best player.

So a run of 3 games?  I'm not going to lie, I don't remember his performances against Swansea or Man Utd.  I thought we played pretty well against Swansea but can't really remember Sanchez.

Happy to accept he might well have been very good, though.  The same often gets said of Westwood after all!  Sometimes you look at the players you like moreso than the others - or, rather, spot mistakes in ones you're being critical of moreso than spot the good things they do.

From United until he sort of lost the plot against Arsenal. It was his first period of consistancy and most believed he had turned the corner. Swansea, Sunderland and Palace were all stand-out displays in which he completely dominated for large periods but unfortunately we were a team that didn't know how to score goals back then.

He subsequently lost his place after Arsenal and didn't play again until Sherwood's first game. For an adapting player, the constant change in systems mid-season can't have helped. First Lambert's 'new style' and then Sherwood's high-intensity stuff.

Regardless of everything else, he simply must try and cut out those lapses in concentration. They are the reason he is at Aston Villa and not Manchester United, but if Aston Villa want to progress then so must he, or face being a bit part player.

He's got the physical ability. I was proper excited by him especially with that Sunderland performance. My fear is he won't click often enough.

I don't see how his performance last week was really much different than the majority of his performances since he arrived to be honest.

He defended well.

this for me. Except the goal it was rare Coutinho(a few peoples player of the season) was able to much in front of the defence

this for me. Except the goal it was rare Coutinho(a few peoples player of the season) was able to much in front of the defence

Yep, it was a performance that incorporated the sort of grittiness you'd never normally associate with him. He denied space better than he ever has.

But apparently he always plays like that and is only getting any additional praise this time because we won an important game.

He didn't take any set pieces, that's probably part of the reason he came out of the game with more credit than usual. It was a fairly standard performance for him imo, the system helped him play his natural game but I'd agree that off the ball he looked to of stepped it up a gear.

Edited by Bunnski

The reason Westwood did so well against Liverpool is he was given a simple, well defined role: Defensive midfielder. He protected the back 4 and gave them an easy out ball.

Under Lambert, it seems he tried to (or was asked to) play exactly the same way as Delph and Cleverly did in midfield. He's not suited to that.