Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He does more than just retain possession though and despite being played too deep he still has the best key pass stat of all our midfield or at least he did last time I checked. He had close to 2 key passes per game last season. He has been played too deep for the majority of his time here and would influence games a lot more if he had the luxury Sanchez playing behind him doing the dirty work. He is not a defensive midfielder.

Except that he is a defensive-midfielder. He bases his game on Michael Carrick - a defensive-midfielder - and in Westwood's own words:

My job is to try and protect the back more, and if the lads behind you talk and tell you what you are doing it makes it ten times easier.

https://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/the-betfair-big-interview---aston-villas-ashley-westwood-191013-201.html

It's true that he isn't played primarily for his defensive duties but to play the controlling role, you play deep anyway. With that comes defensive responsibilities.

Well to my eye he is never a defensive midfielder, my definition of a defensive midfielder is more someone in the mould of Sanchez. I'd class westwoods role for us as a deep lying playmaker. I can see why sherwood mightnt fancy him in his starting line up as he isn't the most mobile or energetic but I think he deserves more of a chance in a more advanced role imo.

He does more than just retain possession though and despite being played too deep he still has the best key pass stat of all our midfield or at least he did last time I checked. He had close to 2 key passes per game last season. He has been played too deep for the majority of his time here and would influence games a lot more if he had the luxury Sanchez playing behind him doing the dirty work. He is not a defensive midfielder.

Except that he is a defensive-midfielder. He bases his game on Michael Carrick - a defensive-midfielder - and in Westwood's own words:

My job is to try and protect the back more, and if the lads behind you talk and tell you what you are doing it makes it ten times easier.

https://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/the-betfair-big-interview---aston-villas-ashley-westwood-191013-201.html

It's true that he isn't played primarily for his defensive duties but to play the controlling role, you play deep anyway. With that comes defensive responsibilities.

Flippin hell. His own words - protect the back 4?? He's done a pretty piss poor job of that for the best part of 3 years.

Flippin hell. His own words - protect the back 4?? He's done a pretty piss poor job of that for the best part of 3 years.

Not sure it makes much of a difference, but that's not actually what he said.

Edited by Stevo985

Worth mentioning that that article is also 18 months old. His job may have changed since then.

I certainly think he became less defensive when playing with Sanchez.

Even those who rate him like myself have always recognised that he's not a proper DM. He's a deep lying player, but he's not good enough at that role to be the sole DM in the team. Ideally he'd play alongside a proper DM and an attacking midfielder, being the link between the two.

Unfortunately for him, Delph and Cleverley perform similar roles when we play that formation, and to make that point moot, Sherwood appears to favour the 4-4-2 which Westwood certainly isn't suited to, imo.

I think selling him wouldn't be the right move. A relatively cheap player who can contribute to the squad even if they're not starting is worth having, especially if we don't hold on to Cleverley. Even more reason is that Westwood is a much more subtle player than Delph or Sanchez so it would be a bit of a plan B from the bench.

But I certainly think he won't be a certain starter in the future.

But, again, even those who rate him, and even Lambert, didn't have him as a certain starter.*

*that being said, he'd have done a much better job than Sanchez in several of his recent appearances.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

I just like the fact he is a calm head, and has the ability to control and keep the ball in tight situations when almost all of the other players go into clown mode. I think he's been a steal at the price we paid for him considering he basically had no reputation before coming here. He's not an all-action player but I don't think it can be held against him. I think a side like Swansea would be very keen on him if Sherwood wanted to get rid. I'm not entirely sure why Sherwood wouldn't want him in the squad, mind.

I know it is probably not a popular opinion but I feel sorry for the guy. He is becoming a bit of a scapegoat on the back of Lambert's style because he was regularly picked. I really don't think selling him is the best plan unless as someone said above 5million+ as he would be a great utility player to come in to replace injuries. Granted he shouldn't be near corners but he can certainly do a decent job and I've never seen him cost us games. I mean I think Sanchez does a good job but he doesn't half lose the ball in some shocking positions and Westwood has never had a game like Richardson against QPR lol. 

We'll see what happens but I do think he has a part to play in the war to come.

• Like 1

I just like the fact he is a calm head, and has the ability to control and keep the ball in tight situations when almost all of the other players go into clown mode. I think he's been a steal at the price we paid for him considering he basically had no reputation before coming here. He's not an all-action player but I don't think it can be held against him. I think a side like Swansea would be very keen on him if Sherwood wanted to get rid. I'm not entirely sure why Sherwood wouldn't want him in the squad, mind.

If they were very keen on him, they could bid even if Sherwood didn't want to get rid, same as they could have done when Lambert was in charge.  In any case I think he'd have the same problem there with better players ahead of him.

I wouldn't be too happy to see Westwood go, I think he's been a really good player for us and probably the most consistently good member of the squad, apart from Guzan, over the last three years. He's got a great eye for a pass and I think that with a bit more movement ahead of him he could really make chances for us. He might be another one that benefits from Sherwood's more forward thinking approach

I wouldn't be too happy to see Westwood go, I think he's been a really good player for us and probably the most consistently good member of the squad, apart from Guzan, over the last three years. He's got a great eye for a pass and I think that with a bit more movement ahead of him he could really make chances for us. He might be another one that benefits from Sherwood's more forward thinking approach

You must have watched a different player to what I have over these last couple of seasons or so. Thankfully Sherwood seems to have seen the light when it comes to Westwood.

Not good enough. Get rid.

I didn't really see the point in Westwood a few seasons back, but he has been improving every year and their is a safe consistent aspect to him.

He is still young and i'd like to see him in a more settled side that wasn't constantly staving off relegation.

i wouldn't sell him yet