Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I agree Trent. I think a lot of it is due to the fact that like Petrov he doesn't really do much to catch the eye - his job in a sense is to make sure that he isn't noticed by keeping things ticking over in the middle of the park.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Westwood is a far far better player than many of our fans give him credit for, shame but little point trying to change peoples views on him.

Agreed. It would be nice, just for once, that people didn't need to defend him, even after a win.

I thought he completely withdrew once getting the yellow card, I recall no tackles. Not to mention that what statistically constitutes a tackle is simply defined. He made none.

I know he made a really important one at the edge of the box.

• Like 1

Westwood is a far far better player than many of our fans give him credit for, shame but little point trying to change peoples views on him.

That would be a good nickname for him... 'Little point'...

I joke of course. I think he's a decent enough player, lacking it a little of the extra factor but you can pencil his name on the team sheet and know you're going to get a 7 out of ten.

You need those consistent types and the only way to improve on him at this point would be to sign somebody you know is going to give you an 8 every week. We're not going to do that for £2m and some Randy Lerner belly button fluff.

When Westwood has a good game he runs the show, dictating the play, putting himself about and looking very good. Unfortunately most of the time he has to deal with bigger, stronger and faster opposite numbers and then he tends to struggle defensively. He needs to be dirtier and draw sly fouls, and become better at fouling without getting booked! He is probably the most consistent passer in the team so what people are saying about Sanchez giving more freedom to Westy and Delph may be more of a benefit to Westy and help him be a bit more ambitious with his passing and play more as a playmaker. Currently he is not good enough defensively to be the only defensive midfielder. 

Can't believe people are complaining over a foul being a tackle or not. Either way, Stoke always bully us and get away with it, why not give them a bit of their own medicine.

I'm actually sick of us being the goody two shoes team that bends over for all opposition, we need to be more aggressive overall. Not saying it was a good challenge, it wasn't, but it happens and we move on.

As for Westwood's ability as a footballer, I'm sure if he had come through our academy everybody would be ranting and raving about the quality of his touches and passes.

He's a good player, a good player who is getting better and better during his stay with us, long may that continue. He clearly has a love for the club judging by his passion during games and outside of games, we need that, we need players who will put themselves on the line for the club who has given them the chance of a lifetime.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play with Sanchez behind him and Delph.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 3

That's your opinion, you don't have to try and change peoples mind it makes no difference.

I hope westwood does become a quality player that helps us improve but so far our midfield has been pretty dire under Lambert.  

That's your opinion, you don't have to try and change peoples mind it makes no difference.

I hope westwood does become a quality player that helps us improve but so far our midfield has been pretty dire under Lambert.  

I'm not, I was suggesting generally speaking it isn't worth other people trying.

He is as decent enough player but like so many last season failed to impose themselves on the game On many occasions, with a stronger and more experienced line up, he may well be freed up to impose himself more and raise the bar on his performance.

It is not unusual to see players greatly improve when stronger additions come in and this is something I think will happen this season.

It will be interesting to see him play with a little bit more experience around him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

He brought another down from out the sky like he did against Newcastle last season.  The guy has an absolutely superb first touch.

As I've said before in this thread, he's the first name on the teamsheet in midfield for me.

• Like 4

He was brilliant but i don't think we have enough going forward with a midfield 3 of sanchez, delph and Westwood.

Delph breaks really well (just often lacks end product; which will improve).  I think it's a good trio, I really do.