Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Eric Cantona once described Didier Deschamps as a water carrier and that's what Westwood is to our team. Westwood is one part of the puzzle but can't be all three at once in our midfield so he will look much better when the other parts of the puzzle are put in place in our midfield but the manager will have to be given the funding to do that.

Eric Cantona once described Didier Deschamps as a water carrier and that's what Westwood is to our team. Westwood is one part of the puzzle but can't be all three at once in our midfield so he will look much better when the other parts of the puzzle are put in place in our midfield but the manager will have to be given the funding to do that.

Agree with this but if we ever did purchase a battling DM, where does Delph fit in? Do not see him as an AM

Westwood seems to just go quietly about his business and keep it calm in the middle of the park.  Had another take of a downward ball today that was class.

Genuinely think if we got a solid DM in and could allow this guy to move forwards with the ball, we'd see more through balls along the deck for Gabby/Weimann in particular to run onto.

I think there's potential in this lad.

• Like 1

Was excellent alongside KEA again today.

Showing a range of passing and a great first-touch rarely seen earlier in the season. If Delph can be on top form alongside these two then we may start winning more midfield battles.

Benteke asks for the floaty corners.

Don't know why as he's perfectly capable of scoring the whipped in ones

They hurt his head?

Probably so he can take longer to get himself under them, knowing that he'll more than likely out jump/strength/destroy whoever he is up against. Rarely comes off with corners though.

Was excellent alongside KEA again today.

Showing a range of passing and a great first-touch rarely seen earlier in the season. If Delph can be on top form alongside these two then we may start winning more midfield battles.

I thought Westwood summed us up perfectly yesterday.

First 20 mins he was really struggling, never made a tackle and couldnt get himself free to receive the ball so we just kept humping it up the pitch. When he did get the ball he seemed anxious and did some really stupid things (like the dick about with Vlaar which nearly let them in).

However after Benteke got us back in it he completely transformed and played with a load of confidence and quality. He started really getting stuck in too which I think was the biggest change in the game for us. He can be a bit wishy washy in his defending being more a shepard than enforcer but he started being much more aggressive which I hope somebody in coaching staff tells him to keep up.

Should he have been marking Hoolihan for their goal?

When was the last time he did a pass as good as Bertrand did to Delph?

I don't want to keep knocking this kid, but he is incredibly average, and when he, KEA  and Gabby are replaced by better players, we will then really kick on.

He's made several of those passes. As recently a pass to Weimann against Newcastle. Weimann made the wrong choice on the cross and that's that.

If there is a better player he should be replaced but we don't have one at the moment.

I think he has played well since the Cardiff second-half. Not just in terms of his passing game which has become more incisive in terms of tempo but also, as a poster above pointed out, he seems to be getting 'stuck-in' a bit more. In fact, he has made ten successful tackles in the last three games which is what you want to see from your defensive-midfielder.

• Like 2

Should he have been marking Hoolihan for their goal?

When was the last time he did a pass as good as Bertrand did to Delph?

I don't want to keep knocking this kid, but he is incredibly average, and when he, KEA  and Gabby are replaced by better players, we will then really kick on.

To be fair though, he could do everything right in a game and you still wouldn't 'see what the fuss is about'.

Can't disagree with that Steffan, the adulation of him i do find a bit strange i have to be honest, i do agree atm we haveb't got anybody to replace him, but when i see him having an ok game, like yday and against Nooocastle, and then some posters come on here saying he dictated the game, then i find it hard to comprehend.

I can't think of one telling pass he has made this season, he is the best passer in the team, but for me he is nowhere the quality we need to kick on,Delph is the only current midfielder we have who i think has.

To me him and Delph are midfield players we can kick on with.

All our midfielders would be very nice back ups. Westy is a nice player to have around, but if he's our offensive weapon in midfield we're not going to evolve. We need someone better, both in passing and defending.

• Like 1

Can't disagree with that Steffan, the adulation of him i do find a bit strange i have to be honest, i do agree atm we haveb't got anybody to replace him, but when i see him having an ok game, like yday and against Nooocastle, and then some posters come on here saying he dictated the game, then i find it hard to comprehend.

I can't think of one telling pass he has made this season, he is the best passer in the team, but for me he is nowhere the quality we need to kick on,Delph is the only current midfielder we have who i think has.

But he DID dictate the game against Newcastle.

We were noticeably poorer without him on the pitch.

But by your first 5 words it's clear you're never going to give him any credit.