Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I dont think it is Westwood, Delph or KEA's job to play key passed that will set up goals, they all sit in the middle very deep, they cant cross it and Benteke isn't going to race onto a through ball over the top like Gabby might.

Just look at other CMs that play like that. Carrick/Jones/Fellani for Utd, Fernandinho/Yaya Toure for City. Now latter are quality footballers playing in a top team so get to do what they want in a lot of matches anyway, but their job is to protect and then get the ball to the attackers who can create and play key passes.

I think we have 3 players in the CM position doing jobs that most clubs only have 2 players doing.

Edited by AndyM3000

I think we have 3 players in the CM position doing jobs that most clubs only have 2 players doing.

Yes, I think that is the crux of it.

If Westwood and Delph were top draw we could have a dedicated attacking mid in front of them creating chances without losing anything defensively.

Yes, I think that is the crux of it.

If Westwood and Delph were top draw we could have a dedicated attacking mid in front of them creating chances without losing anything defensively.

I do like them both and Westwood does a similar job to Carrick. Delph can do what Wilshere does but without the same end product. Most teams play more than two in midfield though. 

To be fair to him, I don't think he can be accused of being negative on Saturday. He did try to play quite a few attacking balls but obviously very few come off as he isn't that good.

I sometimes wonder what you watch. He missed 8 passes all game.

So your last comment is absolute bollocks.

Edited by StefanAVFC

To be fair to him, I don't think he can be accused of being negative on Saturday. He did try to play quite a few attacking balls but obviously very few come off as he isn't that good.

Not really. By 'come off' I meant resulted in any particular opportunity.

Edited by Isa

What a load of nonsense.

So you've been rumbled for having a go at him for misplacing passes (he hardly did), so now you've changed your meaning? You're so transparent  :crylaugh:

If you'd watched the game, you'd have seen that Westy was pretty expansive with his passing, and his completion % (88%) is fairly good considering that. Just looking at the % is meaningless, but when you combine it with where his passes were aimed and general context then it becomes a useful stat.

What a load of nonsense.

So you've been rumbled for having a go at him for misplacing passes (he hardly did), so now you've changed your meaning? You're so transparent  :crylaugh:

If you'd watched the game, you'd have seen that Westy was pretty expansive with his passing, and his completion % (88%) is fairly good considering that. Just looking at the % is meaningless, but when you combine it with where his passes were aimed and general context then it becomes a useful stat.

It was poor wording. It happens and stop acting like you are immune from it.

As you can even see from the chart, all of the passes that failed were the more ambitious ones. That was merely my point.

We all know you are his biggest fanboy Stefan but there is no need to get so touchy every time anybody levels any form of criticism at him.

What a load of nonsense.

It was poor wording. It happens and stop acting like you are immune from it.

As you can even see from the chart, all of the passes that failed were the more ambitious ones. That was merely my point.

We all know you are his biggest fanboy Stefan but there is no need to get so touchy every time anybody levels any form of criticism at him.

Badly worded? Come on, don't insult my intelligence. It's clear that you were proved wrong so you tried to salvage any credibility.

Any form of criticism? We've been through this. I can link you to the post (http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/10129-midfield-woes-the-solution/page-3#entry1111554  http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/10129-midfield-woes-the-solution/page-3#entry1111515). You conveniently ignore the times that I've criticised him as well. But that would refute your point, so as I say, conveniently unmentioned.

>Rumbled having an unwarranted pop.

>OMG UR SUCH A FAN BOY

Pathetic.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I rather like how he tries to play.... If we could maybe bring Popov in this Jan and sit him ahead of Westy and Delph then we would maybe have a good midfield 3... It's just whether Delph and Westwood can play well on the defensive side... One thing I did notice in the Sunderland game was that Delph and Westwood like to pass between themselves and then just out to the full backs who then go backwards to Vlaar/Clark.... Lowton is a very positive full back and Luna also (First game back from injury can be forgiven slightly for not being up to speed). But the team just needs a boost to be positive and then we will be good... An Attacking mid would also help!1

This is a bit of a mixed twisted bit of nothing really 0.o

I don't know if that was true. Even from the chart, you can see that Ki still made most of his passes from his half while Westwood made a lot of passes from just in front of the opponents half.

Anyway, it's a tiresome argument and I don't want to become Con. Just don't understand how you can watch the game and conclude he's awful when he was one of the only players in the side that can keep the ball and actually pass it forward to a teammates feet

Shame they're rarely into areas to hurt the opposition.  Whether that's his fault or the misfiring forwards I don't know.

Nobody at all would bid even half of that for him.

I dunno. He's an English player in the Premier League. Therefore transfer value x 5  :D

That's true. Maybe City will sign him as Jack Rodwell's replacement ;)

Really? What does that even mean? If they were attacking balls, and most of them were completed, does the blame lay with him that they didn't result in oportunities or with those further forward than him? I suspect that this is merely a shifting of the goalposts.

• Like 1

If you watch his interview on AVTV he describes exactly what kind of player he is, he says he is a carrier, to pick the ball up from the back and pass it to players who can create chances, we don't have that particular player at the moment so he is doing that as well, and not doing a bad job either.

• Like 1

Really? What does that even mean? If they were attacking balls, and most of them were completed, does the blame lay with him that they didn't result in oportunities or with those further forward than him? I suspect that this is merely a shifting of the goalposts.

It means that his attacking balls either failed or didn't result in anything. Just because it reaches a player who isn't in a position to really do anything with it, then it is unlikely anything will come from it. The thing is that the chart that highlighted success-rate was already put up before my post. So I already knew that he hadn't given the ball away a lot.