Joe Bennett

Si.

Wonder if the people so concerned with the so called abuse towards bennet felt the same about Mcleish.

I think there is a big difference though BJ in that McLeish was old enough, wise enough and big enough to take it on the chin.

Joe Bennett was 22 years old last season. A young player trying to adapt to playing at a higher level in a struggling side, leaking goals aplenty alongside other defenders also still trying to adapt to playing at a higher level. On top of all that abuse from supporters was and is the last thing the lad needs.

in addition to this, bennett came to villa to take his chance in the premier league, to further his career, mcleish came from an arch rival club that he had just successfully relegated whilst playing dour boring football all the way through

i have hopes for bennett, as for people never saying anything personal, if i could be bothered i could find several quotes about him looking like a kid, looking like a chav, being weak, caring more about his appearance than his performance, etc etc.

last season some guy was blowing his top over bennett for putting in a shit tackle, when the guy in question was actually weimann, on the right hand side of the pitch, its as if when someone wants to say "that was bad" they have to use the name Bennett in the sentence, it drives me mad. He was a weak link at times last year but he's not completely inept at playing the sport

That's funny he reminds me a little of Bale when he first arrived at Tottenham, I hope he can gain physically like he did, whereas Lowton reminds me of a right sided version of Whittingham though with his style of play especially his crossing

I think Whittingham is a slightly better footballer. Better range of passing. His set plays are as good as anyones.

Wonder if the people so concerned with the so called abuse towards bennet felt the same about Mcleish.

I think there is a big difference though BJ in that McLeish was old enough, wise enough and big enough to take it on the chin.

Joe Bennett was 22 years old last season. A young player trying to adapt to playing at a higher level in a struggling side, leaking goals aplenty alongside other defenders also still trying to adapt to playing at a higher level. On top of all that abuse from supporters was and is the last thing the lad needs.

in addition to this, bennett came to villa to take his chance in the premier league, to further his career, mcleish came from an arch rival club that he had just successfully relegated whilst playing dour boring football all the way through

i have hopes for bennett, as for people never saying anything personal, if i could be bothered i could find several quotes about him looking like a kid, looking like a chav, being weak, caring more about his appearance than his performance, etc etc.

last season some guy was blowing his top over bennett for putting in a shit tackle, when the guy in question was actually weimann, on the right hand side of the pitch, its as if when someone wants to say "that was bad" they have to use the name Bennett in the sentence, it drives me mad. He was a weak link at times last year but he's not completely inept at playing the sport

Bennett had a decent game last night. he was one of the few that did

• 2 months later...

The forgotten man. What's up with him these days? No appearances and only on the bench four times in the league this season. I know he was poor for long parts of last season, but even with injuries to Clark and Luna he hasn't got a look in. 

Edited by adz.villa

I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention how bad they think he is. Four posts. Not bad.

If he keep playing three at the back then I think he's a solid option for the LWB role based on his better performances going forward last season.

Think he's a bit too similar to Luna for his own good. Both are better going forward, yet Luna is better than Bennet in everything. So, back up to Luna.

Luna has looked just as bad defensively so no idea why you had made up your mind he is so much better already.

Edited by VillanousOne

Think he's a bit too similar to Luna for his own good. Both are better going forward, yet Luna is better than Bennet in everything. So, back up to Luna.

Luna has looked just as bad defensively so no idea why you had made up your mind he is so much better already.
Not sure you remember the Joe that played last season?

My post earlier was incomplete in that I think Joe has something in him. I don't think he's rubbish. He needs confidence and strength, and he could be a good player. I merely think Luna is overshadowing him for the moment.

Edited by AVTuco

I think he's gonna do a good job.

I think last season was a pure confidence thing put yourself in his shoes, he was thrown into the deep end at a massive club with a whole of Villa Park screaming shit at you, I would of crawled up my own arse too

• Like 2

Clark,Delph,Vlaar to name but 3 players that have been written off on here.Too early to write JB off just yet.Yes he was a weak link for us last Season,but our whole defence was poor also last Season as we are all aware.JB needs time and hopefully,if/when he gets an opportunity(once he is fit) then he will make similar improvements that the aforementioned 3 players have shown...

Â