Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I have to say im not overly worried just. We've played 8 of the top half and 4 of the bottom half, with only 1 of the bottom half at home. In fact we've only played 2 teams outside the current top 5 teams at home, so that's 12 winnable home games to come. That's where our bulk of our points will come. I think with the amount of home games, and the fixtures being not to kind.

But if we don't double our points total in the next 5 games, i must admit we could be in serious trouble.

We need an experienced midfielder, and maybe Richard Dunne to have a final say.

I can see your point - but we couldn't beat Norwich at home and were beaten easily by Southampton. Some people are optimistic we will beat arsenal - I just can't see it.

So even if we beat Reading that sill leaves us in the mire. We have to stop looking at the 'ifs, but, and might have' - the facts are at the moment we don't score many, concede lots, and a consequence have won 2 from 12 , with one of the worse GD'S in the division. If that continues we will go down.

Hutton and warnock are big no no's. Given and dunne need to be in that side, as does bent. This are our 3 most experienced players. I'm all for giving youth a chance but it needs to be surrounded by experience. At the moment it isn't.

Well Warnock is out on loan. Dunne I would put back in the first 11 ASAP. Not so sure about Given - that said Im not on the Guzan bandwagon either.

I have to say im not overly worried just. We've played 8 of the top half and 4 of the bottom half, with only 1 of the bottom half at home. In fact we've only played 2 teams outside the current top 5 teams at home, so that's 12 winnable home games to come. That's where our bulk of our points will come. I think with the amount of home games, and the fixtures being not to kind.

But if we don't double our points total in the next 5 games, i must admit we could be in serious trouble.

We need an experienced midfielder, and maybe Richard Dunne to have a final say.

In the next 5 games?.. I will be amazed if we have over 20 points after the next 17 games let alone 5 mate...

Before I write my piece, I feel relegation is a very real possibility this year and it disappoints me the position we are in. Aston Villa, no matter of our history we have no right to stay in the PL, we have to earn it just like any team outside the top six. There is a lot of talk of who is to blame, Lerner, Lambert, players or even the fans; I feel it's a combination of all four.

1. When Lerner came in the majority saw a bright future especially after O'Neil was brought in. History showed that O'Neil had his shortfalls and wasn't able to get the job done even with the amount of money he was given. The financial situation is down to Lerner, he put his faith in MON and it went sour. We are still trying to offload the deadweight he bought in and the cost cutting methods we have in right now are a consequences of that. We are buying what we can afford right now without putting the club in deeper debt. Lerner has just sold the Browns and might be thinking of throwing money around sometime soon. I just hope it is done with more foresight than when MON was in charge.

2. Lambert was my 1st choice but he wasn't my last either. I think he is doing things his way and buying young players that he feels will build a strong future. I actually admire him for it as I feel it can work out given time. As we have seen it isn't going to be fixed overnight but I believe it will in the end. I do feel tactically he has a lot to learn. I personally feel he has made a lot of poor tactical decisions in the first 7-8 games but has improved somewhat recently. He is certainly brave enough to drop the big players but I hope he is also man enough to bring them back in when we need them. He has some way to go to be the manager some believe he is but he isn't as bad as others make out.

3. Yes, we need some new players in January. This is where I feel we are struggle the most and will be our downfall if we are relegated in May. I don't think it is down to the quality of the players more down to their mental strength. From Wiki -

"Mental toughness - a term commonly used by coaches, sport psychology, sport commentators, and business leaders - generally describes a collection of attributes that allow a person to persevere through difficult circumstances (such as difficult training or difficult competitive situations in games) and emerge without losing confidence". We have too many players in our team who just aren't ready, Lowton, Stevens, Clark, Westwood, Bannan,Weinman and I would possibly put Guzan in there and is just from the team yesterday, we have a few injured and on the bench who would fall into this category.

We have showed in the last two games especially but in other games this season that we bottle under pressure. We came out full of confidence against Utd and whatever way it was done we took a 2-0 lead. Utd made their changes and stepped up the pace, our player I feel started to expect us to lose and didn't believe we could beat them. We didn't play with the same way after they scored the first goal; the doubts came in a defeat was the only option. Against City yesterday it happened again after the penalty decision, just like most of the fans the players lost the plot. They couldn't handle the situation and we got the slamming we deserved. I believe we are certainly playing better than last year but we aren't able to grind out the results that the older heads did last year.

To correct this decision for me as soon as Dunne is back I would bring him in to play along aside Vlaar, I would drop Guzan and bring back Given and from the squad we have I would bring KEA back in for Westwood. We need players who have the mental toughness and believe in themselves and the team no matter what happens. I know he isn't the best player or a very nice person but the attitude Joey Barton has is what we need instilled in our players. He fully believes he is the best player in his position and that he should be playing for England, he doesn't care who he is up against he believes he is better than them. We need to bring players in with that attiutde or get someone in to develop that in the young players that we have because I think they are too bad and can get us out of relegation with the ability they have.

4. Fans, they have the right to bitch and moan but I don't see how it helps. The players know if they have played crap or if they have blown it and constant knocking of the team isn't helping anyone but them vent. We have what we have right now and we just need to get behind them and do the best we can with it because I do personally feel everyone within the club are doing the best they can but it just isn't good enough.

With Sunderland winning leaves us really in the shit,Reading win thier game in hand and we are already 2 points from safety.

Weekend has been a nightmare results wise

If we keep not winning then this is inevitable. At this point in time I don't see many teams worse than us.

Three of these teams will go down:

Southampton

Readling

Wigan

QPR

I also think that Stoke might suddenly be dragged into the scrap. I expect Swansea to fall on the table, but they will probably be fine. Next year will be their relegation battle.

Sunderland, Norwich and Villa will be fine.

The Southampton win was a good result for us. It would be worse if QPR took points than Southampton.

Reading and Norwich was worrying. Sunderland had to happen, as they are much better than they have showed so far, and Fulham will eventually fall back where they belong out of the top 10.

I don't know if we have enough to stay up or not.

I don't want Lambert to be fired even if we are relegated.

So where does this put me at the moment? Am I one of the ones who deserves to be yelled at for fearing we will go down? Or am I someone who is allowed to share an opinion without being ridiculed?

Three of these teams will go down:

Southampton

Readling

Wigan

QPR

I also think that Stoke might suddenly be dragged into the scrap. I expect Swansea to fall on the table, but they will probably be fine. Next year will be their relegation battle.

Sunderland, Norwich and Villa will be fine.

I disagree about Wigan and QPR - Wigan look stronger this season than previous seasons. QPR have some decent players and have money to burn, and probably a new manager in coming.

My one ray of hope for the Villa ?????? Have we slumped to early ? :) :)

No you actually keep deflecting the questions because you can't answer them directly in a manner that you want.

No, I've answered them all clearly.

If it was our performance in the first half that made United play so badly why were they able to score three in the second half? Where we that **** terrible in the second half?
Because we're shit at holding leads and have been for a long time.

If we had been disallowed the second penalty under the same circumstances would you have accepted it as a good decision?
Yes. Would've liked it to go our way but I can recognise when we get lucky with the officials (which isn't very often).

If Lambert has signed the right players why do we still need strengthening in those specific positions?
Because it's a big job! Jesus Christ how often do I have to say this?

I will ask it again. If Mcleish had managed to push us into the bottom three would Lerner have sacked him sooner?
How am I supposed to know that?

Finally has Clarke at WBA made them more organized and harder to beat or is their current position just a fluke of nature?

Clarke has done well there but I don't think they'll finish where they are now. Of course, Clarke has benefited massively from coming into a club with continuity and a good set up behind the scenes.

Nothing current.

Look harder, specifically where Fulham are. At that point they'd only got two points more than we have at the same point this season and that was under Jol, a manager both you and I rate. It just goes to show that managers need time and can turn things around.

Interestingly as well we weren't doing too badly at that point so it just goes to show how things can change.