Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

In hindsight maybe but at time neither of those 2 would have screamed out over Lambert.Head to head neither has beat us either.

For me the huge issue right now is the defence..4-3-3 with the players we have might score ..but it will concede is simply not enough protection for the defence.

In hindsight maybe but at time neither of those 2 would have screamed out over Lambert.Head to head neither has beat us either.

For me the huge issue right now is the defence..4-3-3 with the players we have might score ..but it will concede is simply not enough protection for the defence.

For me Steve Clarke would have been viewed as the better appointment and that's without hignsight.

The defence needs sorting as a priority, and I hate to say this but that may involve getting Given, Dunne, Hutton & Warnock back into the side.

Yeah because Given was so great against Everton and in Euro 2012, also Warnock has always been so great when playing for us for past 2 seasons, same for Hutton.

What a load of nonsense man.

The difference in Lambert 'using up' the rest of the pot he has left over from the summer will allow him to sign a few more names come January to add the quality we need.

Brought a whole new defence? I am sure Lichaj, Dunne, Clarke, Hutton, Warnock, Bowry, Stevens were already here when he arrived?

As for midfield, Holman was signed by the last numpty and only KEA and Westwood have been added there so I can't see any being replaced but more in the line of added to.

I see Clint Dempsey is setting the world on fire at the minute at his new club! Damn that was a big mistake to miss out on such a prolific premier league journeyman!.. who next? Berbatov?

I agree with you though that I also don't think money spent in January will suddenly see a raft of premier league experienced players either. - All it would bring is silly transfer fee's and high wages. Best looking at the leagues a bit lower or the rest of the world. It's better value for money and costs half what a Premier League player would cost in fee's and wages combined.

And look at where that has got us.

We lack experience, no we do t we lack quality?

Well Lambert has decided to freeze out the 2 players with both of this, given and bent!

The sooner those 2 are back in the team the sooner we will pick up points.

I'm not worried yet but you don't want to be in the bottom 3 at Christmas!

Why should Given be in the team? He was "frozen out" (actually he was just dropped) because of poor performances. As for Bent, he's been injured for the most part.

As I keep on saying, we had lots of Premier League experience last season and it didn't help us at all. People seem to think the answer to all our problems is Premier League experience and the sooner we get that everything will magically improve. Quite honestly I think some people are living in a dream world and need to stop obsessing over this fabled "Premier League experience" and focus on what we actually need which is quality.

Worried now :ph34r:

Problem is if Lambert doesn't turn it around where the **** do we go from here ..another manager again.

We had problems with the squad no doubt but dear god how are WBA and Norwich doing so much better than us I don't recall them spending alot in the window..

Continuity. They may have changed managers but that's it. I can't think of any other Premier League club that's gone through the kind of turmoil and upheaval as we have recently. The fact that some people are already calling for Lambert's head because he hasn't managed to sort out such a huge mess in a couple of months is quite frankly pathetic.

Like I said before, it's mid November, the table doesn't lie a third of the way into the season. Lose to arsenal and we will be on course for 26 points all season. Then again win the next 3 after arsenal and we give ourselves a chance of staying up.

We were on course to finish very comfortably this time last season and we didn't. Things can change.

For me Steve Clarke would have been viewed as the better appointment and that's without hignsight.

Never managed a club in his life before West Brom and you're telling me if he had been appointed manager you would have accepted that over an 'already proven' manager that we signed instead? - Now I know your talking Bollocks.

You go from wanting Redknapp and a Magic wand one minute to being happy if we appointed someone who has never managed a club in his life.

You really are comical reading. Your the Boris Johnson of Villa Talk for me. :crylaugh:

We have 4 wins, 12 drawn and 17 losses this calendar year,

This season we have 2 wins in 12 games with 7 losses.

After every game we fail to win excuses are made to gloss over the fact that we are in big trouble.

"The season doesn't start until November",

"We look better than last season",

"At least we're not Birmingham",

"We beat City in the cup so we can't be that bad"

And the most used one and the favourite atm "It's just 1 game"

The one silver lining for me is that at least it's just fans that are making the excuses and not the players and manager. Let's hope Lerner and Lambert understand how dire our situation is and come January go on a PSG-type spending spree because the squad we have at present is not good enough, not by a long way.

• Like 1

Yes for us at the moment we played well against Man U, but Man U were also very poor in the first half and you'll have to excuse me but didn't we lose the game?

The City game yesterday. We weren't '**** over by the linesman twice.' He made one bad decision but City still scored another four. What was it that Kompany said last night on MOTD? 'It was our most comfortable win this season!' I can actually see where he's coming from after playing in a team that won by five.

Back to 'things will take a while to click.' Ok how long then? How long does it actually take for things to click. The last time you said that, we were fourth from bottom, now we're third from bottom. That is some progression and I'm absolutely thrilled for you.

So your logic is now that Lambert has purchased the right players. If that is indeed so, where would we be in the table if he hadn't and isn't Vlaar part of a defence that has shipped 8 in our last two and yet i still find myself agreeing with you, Vlaar 'is the best of a bad bunch.'

You also keep banging on about the experience v quality debate. You say that we need quality yet also state Lambert has already purchased the right players. So which is it. I mean i'm more than a little confused here since a team with the right quality players rarely find themselves third from bottom.

My reasons for mentioning Redknapp are already well documented but again as stated in a previous debate, i have never classified him as a managerial genius but maybe in your opinion Lambert is exactly that for presiding over our worst start ever in the Premiership and currently having us in a worst position than McLeish? But then again he has purchased the right players!

I also see you are now classifying yourself as VT's new clairvoyant by stating that Lambert won't be sacked. I'll remember that prediction.

Finally my point concerning finishing 9th stands and it was widely accepted on here that we did indeed get lucky with our run in due to playing other teams with injuries. You say we had an injury crisis to explain our flirtation at that time, yet what has happened since?

It wasn't a case of Man U being poor it was a case of us being good. Yes we lost the game but a performance like that can't just be dismissed just because we lost.

Yes, we were. We were only 1-0 down when he made that "bad decision" but it was such a dreadful decision and then he made another one (although not quite so bad) at 2-0. It's very simplistic just to think City would have merely scored 1 goal less because clearly even you can recognise that goals change games? I'm not surprised it was their most comfortable win of the season as I don't recall them getting so much help from the linesman in any other game.

It will take more than a couple of months with the amount of **** turmoil we've had over the past couple of years.

We'd be even lower.

Yes but Vlaar is just one person in a defence made up of 4 (or 5 depending on how you look at it).

You never said those words specifically but the way you go on about him it would certainly seem that way. According to you it's all so simple. We sack yet another manager and bring in Redknapp and everything is magically better. Just because I think Lambert has purchased the right players doesn't mean I think the job is done. It clearly isn't.

I never said Lambert is a managerial genius. I think he's the right manager but unlike some I accept that he came into a massive mess and it will take more than a couple of months to get us out of it.

He won't be sacked anytime soon. It took Randy a season to sack McLeish and that was with low approval, horrendous football and shit results. And unlike some I think the board recognise that we need some continuity and can't afford to keep on changing managers every season.

Explain that. We did well in the second half of that season because we had Bent and started to play better. I don't even remember the teams we playing having loads of injuries.

What has happened since is Houllier left, Downing and Young were sold (understandable given they wanted to leave) and we appointed a dreadful manager in McLeish so it meant yet more change and upheaval. Now McLeish is gone we've had to appointed yet another manager who's come in and brought a lot of new players and is trying to get us playing a new way. The mess Lambert inherited isn't going to be fixed overnight.

Never managed a club in his life before West Brom and you're telling me if he had been appointed manager you would have accepted that over an 'already proven' manager that we signed instead? - Now I know your talking Bollocks.

You go from wanting Redknapp and a Magic wand one minute to being happy if we appointed someone who has never managed a club in his life.

You really are comical reading. Your the Boris Johnson of Villa Talk for me. :crylaugh:

And you my friend are the Nixon of VT.

In answering the above. Where are WBA in comparison to us in the Premiership?

The defence needs sorting as a priority, and I hate to say this but that may involve getting Given, Dunne, Hutton & Warnock back into the side.

Yes because that worked out so well for us last season.

'As I keep on saying, we had lots of Premier League experience last season and it didn't help us at all.'

In response to that Mantis, what people want is good players with PL experience. Not poor ones like Collins, Cuellar and Heskey.

We need good players. PL experience is fairly irrelevant.

And you my friend are the Nixon of VT. I see you didn't reply to my previous post. Too much for you to handle eh?

In answering the above. Where are WBA in comparison to us in the Premiership?

And what was your previous post? You have made many so elaborate.

AT the minute in time only 14 places above us and proberly the same amount of points aswell but so what? Season ends in May and not the end of this month!

If Clarke had come here he would not have done anywhere near as well as he is doing with West Brom. He is doing well there largely because they have the set up in place for managers to come in and do well. We don't have that.

Without hindsight? So in the Summer if offered Lambert, Hughton or Clarke, you'd have gone with Clarke?

I call bullshit.

I was against Lambert from the start and it is documented on here as being so. I have always rated Clarke and yes out of those three Clarke would have been my choice and I don't give a toss whether you think it's bullshit or not.

Yes because that worked out so well for us last season.

We need good players. PL experience is fairly irrelevant.

I dont think it is. We bring in a team of players whove never played at this level, how do we know how they are going to perform?

The lower league players - can they step up?

The foreigners - however well theyve played abroad, doesnt always mean theyll play well in the PL.

I find it hard to believe that somebody who places so much value in experience would have chosen the least experienced person.

I dont think it is. We bring in a team of players whove never played at this level, how do we know how they are going to perform?

The lower league players - can they step up?

The foreigners - however well theyve played abroad, doesnt always mean theyll play well in the PL.

There's still no guarantee that established Premier League players will perform at their new club either.

And what was your previous post? You have made many so elaborate.

AT the minute in time only 14 places above us and proberly the same amount of points aswell but so what? Season ends in May and not the end of this month!

Mate I can't understand what your getting at there.

If Clarke had come here he would not have done anywhere near as well as he is doing with West Brom. He is doing well there largely because they have the set up in place for managers to come in and do well. We don't have that.

No he wouldn't have but he would have had us more organised and wouldn't have spent our budget on the players Lambert has.