Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Give the guy a chance!! PL has my backing until the end of the season at least

I understand why the criticism started so soon for McL but any decent Villa supporters should be getting behind the current manager now not sniping.

Lets back Lambert!!!

Fully agree. Excellent post. PL has done everything we had hoped would be done after the shambles of last season.

Get rid of last season's terrible back 4 - Check:Sold Collins and froze out Hutton + Warnock

Scout Europe for inexpensive gems - Check: Vlaar has been immense since joining us for a meagre ~£3M. Not to mention Benteke and KEA

Bring in young players, hungry to play for our shirt - Check: Westwood, Lowton, Benteke, and Bennett all 21 and under and looking decent so far despite the results

Play attacking football - Check: The most glaring one after last season. Gone are the days where we sit back on 1-0 deficits. We go for the win each and every time, no matter the opposition.

Take the cups seriously - Check: We're in the last 8 of the LC, beating City on their own patch along the way.

Despite the results so far, I'm very satisfied with the job PL has done.

Vlaar has not been 'immense' in any way,shape or form.

Good at best adequate at worst.

KEA has been disappointing.

If being in the bottom 3 makes you satisfied, I'm really glad for you...oh, and you dont win anything for getting through to the last 8 of the league up.

I don't think anyone will be ahppy with bottom 3, at the end of the season.

But the people who are ok with our current position are those who think we won't be there at the end of the season.

The season ends in May. Maybe we'll be relegated and all the super negative people will be right. Maybe we'll stay up.

But the point is, people who aren't too unhappy aren't "satisfied with being in the bottom 3".

You act like we're looking at the table thinking "yeah that'll do. I'm happy with this"

Just because we're bottom 3 now doesn't mean we'll be there in May.

• Like 1

I am certainly not happy about being in bottom 3, however I also think we have the right man to get us out, sacking him will absolutely be ridiculous. We have problems but I'd rather be in bottom 3 now where we know what needs to be corrected instead of falling towards like we did with McLeish.

Don't really see how anyone can be anything but distraught and very unhappy that we are in the bottom three, whatever month of the season it is.

Some people seem to be suggesting this a necessary step to recovery, and part of a masterplan to put the club back on the right track.

It's not. It's a crisis which needs urgent attention and the focus of everyone in the club to win more matches, and get higher up the table. Crucially, our defence is a bigger disaster area than ever. We need to stop leaking goals and collapsing in a heap whenever we go behind.

Being in the bottom 3 is bad enough but a goal difference of -12 is really worrying and will take quite a lot of work to recover from.

Is it all OK because we have a manager we like and we are in the last 8 of the league cup?

No, not at all in my book.

• Like 1

My main concern is that QPR will sack Hughes and appoint Redknapp who will give them a huge boost and get them out of the bottom 3, especially with the squad that is available.

Our squad is very young and inexperienced and seems to either play well but struggle to draw or play badly and get walloped. Not a good sign so far.

However, I'm not really sure if any other manager could sort this out. Lambert was my choice and I will back him. I just hope Lerner does in January as we need a good £30m spent to sort out the spine of our team and avoid the drop.

I don't see us being in a relegation fight. I think this will very quickly go one way or the other. The results will improve and we will pull up to halfway pretty quickly - Or we will continue to leak goals and dissapear without a whimper - Sadly I think the later is more likley. I only see QPR worse than us, a change of manager may help them. Other than us I don't see any real whipping boys in the division.

Reports in a couple of places that Lamberts job is by no means secure - I really hope he turns it around.

Don't really see how anyone can be anything but distraught and very unhappy that we are in the bottom three, whatever month of the season it is.

Some people seem to be suggesting this a necessary step to recovery, and part of a masterplan to put the club back on the right track.

It's not. It's a crisis which needs urgent attention and the focus of everyone in the club to win more matches, and get higher up the table. Crucially, our defence is a bigger disaster area than ever. We need to stop leaking goals and collapsing in a heap whenever we go behind.

Being in the bottom 3 is bad enough but a goal difference of -12 is really worrying and will take quite a lot of work to recover from.

Is it all OK because we have a manager we like and we are in the last 8 of the league cup?

No, not at all in my book.

I'm sure every Villa fan is very unhappy that we are in the bottom three and I'm equally sure nobody thinks that it is part of some cunning plan.

That said, it IS a crisis and needs to be sorted out quickly

From my viewpoint PL has already done a lot of things right - they've all been stated before so I'll not reiterate them

For me the main focus should be getting behind the manager and the team not constantly sniping - what good are all the negative comments doing?? The are certainly not producing an atmosphere of positivitity which breeds confidence. I'm sure the players look at these forums from time to time - wouldn't it be nice if they went away with the feeling that we are with them on their journey?

I expect PL to bring in three or four more players in Jan and that results will gradually improve and we will move towards safety.

Where exactly did the doubters expect us to be at this stage in the season

Keep the Faith

Reports in a couple of places that Lamberts job is by no means secure - I really hope he turns it around.

Really??? Where???

I didn't expect us to be in the bottm three given the outlay on players that added to a squad that even McLeish kept up. I didn't expect to have a minus 12 goal difference after 12 games. Lambert is doing a really, really bad job. He has put this team together, and it just isn't good enough.

I didn't expect us to be in the bottm three given the outlay on players that added to a squad that even McLeish kept up. I didn't expect to have a minus 12 goal difference after 12 games. Lambert is doing a really, really bad job. He has put this team together, and it just isn't good enough.

Idiotic comments - he's had 12 games, he's working on a relative shoestring and has a massive job on his hands to turn around the appalling mess he inherited.

Judge him at the end of the season

I'm sure every Villa fan is very unhappy that we are in the bottom three and I'm equally sure nobody thinks that it is part of some cunning plan.

That said, it IS a crisis and needs to be sorted out quickly

From my viewpoint PL has already done a lot of things right - they've all been stated before so I'll not reiterate them

For me the main focus should be getting behind the manager and the team not constantly sniping - what good are all the negative comments doing?? The are certainly not producing an atmosphere of positivitity which breeds confidence. I'm sure the players look at these forums from time to time - wouldn't it be nice if they went away with the feeling that we are with them on their journey?

I expect PL to bring in three or four more players in Jan and that results will gradually improve and we will move towards safety.

Where exactly did the doubters expect us to be at this stage in the season

Keep the Faith

Really??? Where???

http://www.footballtradedirectory.com/news/2012/november/aston-villa-ignore-mark-hughes-clamour.html

Sorry smetrov,

Everyone's entitled to their opinions and all that, but citing that article (which is literally nothing but a hunch and a quote from a bookie quoting Lambert at 66/1. which isn't even short) as reports that Lambert's job isn't safe is clutching at straws at best.

Idiotic comments - he's had 12 games, he's working on a relative shoestring and has a massive job on his hands to turn around the appalling mess he inherited.

Blimey. You want to be careful with the "idiotic" comments pal. How many managers spent more than Lambert in the summer? And he might have inherited a mess, but he's doing his best to make a bad situation even worse. He's getting away with murder because he's not Alex McLeish. The truth is that the performances have mostly been awful and the results even worse.

He was given £20m and wasted half of it. only lowton and benteke have shown any promise. the defence is now even worse. Paul Lambert teams have never been able to defend and if you cant defend in this league you are in big trouble. 3 of the 4 teams above us have games in hand too. If McLeish would have had this start last year he would not have been backed at all. Its amazing how people are prepared to back a man who quite frankly is doing an appauling job. two wins in twelve games is a joke

• Like 2

Sorry smetrov,

Everyone's entitled to their opinions and all that, but citing that article (which is literally nothing but a hunch and a quote from a bookie quoting Lambert at 66/1. which isn't even short) as reports that Lambert's job isn't safe is clutching at straws at best.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want Lambert out as I repeatedly said on this board. I really don't see anyone better . I was just reiterating what I had read - that his position may not be as secure as we think. (I was asked where I had read this - so posted the link)

If he can get over this run of form I am sure he will take us forward. But equally if we keep loosing (say for example we loose the next 3) ..will he remain ? - There are a series of results that no manager can survive.

that will be too late. if we are bottom three at christmas then he needs the boot so we can hire a decent manager who must be backed as Lambert is creating nothing more than a mediocre championship team

Fair enough, just don't think that really even qualifies as a "report"

If we're bottom 3 in January then alarm bells will be ringing for everyone I think.

I don't think we will be though, and I'm confident we'll make signings in January to address the issues we have. People are saing Lambert hasn't spent money well, but some of his signings have been our best players so far. Yeah it's a valid argument that he needed to address certain areas quicker, as in adding some expericne rather than gambling ,but I do think he's spent relatively well.

He'll know where he needs to spend in January.

And as fashionable as it is to hate Lerner, he's shown in the past he'll spend in January if we need to, so I think the money will be there (even if you want to be cynical and say it's jst because he wants next year's TV money)