Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

In the 30 odd years I've been following us this is probably the most sustained period I can remember of pretty much shite results. When was the last time we strung 3 or 4 wins on the bounce together? Mid 80's was bad under Turner then McNeill and obviously culminated in us going down.

We are in deep shit and its not due to today's result or last weeks result. It is down to over two years of irresponsible cost cutting,selling very good players and either not replacing them or replacing them with nothing like the same quality and a couple of poor managerial appointments.

Lambert joined a club that needed major surgery and a 17 mill net spend and having to balance the wage bill was never going to be enough to start to put things right.

I am sure Lerner will again be in panic mode come January and we'll spend a few quid. This time though it could well be too late.

I largely agree with what you say, but I would add that imo selling the players we did may have been good business... 12m/25m/20m for Young/Milner & Downing considering they are not exactly pulling up trees at their respective clubs or featuring prominently in their first teams. My view is that the centre of the problem is not with the players we have sold its with the players we have bought...Those 3 have not had quality replacements.

AVFCRigo82 you think West Brom could be one of the 3 teams to go down but don't think we are in the mix? they have 23 points already. I can't see them struggling to get another 15 - 18 points in 27 games.

I would say out the whole lot I mentioned they would be the rank outsiders to face the drop I accept.

However when we start picking up points and obviously West Brom will hit a bad patch im not sure there might be much difference points wise between the 2 teams come May IMO.

When was the last time we had 3 consecutive seasons where relegation was a serious worry? How far back do we have to go?

We were 19th of 22 in Division 1 in 63-64 Big John, 16th in both 64/65 & 65/66 and went down in 21st place in 67-68. In Division 2 the next season 68/69 we were 18th and went down in 69-70 in 21st position. So I would go for 67-68, 68/69 & 69/70.

Jesus - we're still suffering from the hangover of the O'Neill spending spree and some people think we should be inviting Redknapp's trail of destruction to VP, that would set us back another five years. He'd come here if he was paid a clean fortune, spend a clean fortune, and then clear off just in time for us to be relegated and stuck in debt, in the Championship for God knows how long.

Give Lambert a season FFS, then make up your mind. We've been on an upward trajectory in terms of performance. Today was a big set back, but no bigger than Fulham was.

Did pretty well at Spuds I remember.

It is worrying but I don't think we're as bad as many think and I do believe we'll spend what's necessary in January.

We've conceded 8 goals in the last two games leaving us in the relegation mire yet you still don't think we're too bad??

That spending in January you seem to be placing your hopes on should have taken place on the right players before the season started. We shouldn't have had to rely on the January window to get us out of trouble again.

We've conceded 8 goals in the last two games leaving us in the relegation mire yet you still don't think we're too bad??

That spending in January you seem to be placing your hopes on should have taken place on the right players before the season started. We shouldn't have had to rely on the January window to get us out of trouble again.

The right players were brought here and all good business. What we do in January will be adding to this with more of the same low priced gems we already purchased that will fill the 3 or 4 gaps of quality that we require.

No, I don't. We were very good for the majority of the Man United game and although we lost 5-0 to City today that result was in large part due to getting **** over by the linesman twice. Who knows what the score would've been had the penalty not wrongly been given at 1-0 but we were certainly in the game up until that point.

There have been some promising signs this season but our main problem really is that there has been absolutely no continuity so naturally things will take a while to click. Patience is needed but unfortunately many just don't have it. Perhaps this tag we have in the media for being self-hating, impatient and fickle moaners is right.

All in all we did spend on the right players in the summer, but it's going to take more than a couple of months to sort out such a huge mess.

I was referring to the new players taking time to getting used to the Premiership due to their lack of experience and that's why we failed to pick up enough points with our relatively easy start. You mention Benteke but he struggled at the start and that's my point. Furthermore Benteke has been the one outstanding success but what about Lambert's other signings? Even Vlaar is struggling to cope.

And yet most of our best players in what has been a poor season so far have come from outside the Premier League. Vlaar has looked the best of a bad bunch at the back despite having no experience at all in England let alone the Premier League.

You seem to pin our problems on a lack of Premier League experience but that's just simply not true. It's the lack of quality that is the problem, mainly in midfield. I seem to recall us having lots of Premier League experience last season and it didn't seem to work out too well.

Oh and I see no reason not to mention Redknapp. He is a very good manager, available and we are in the bottom three. I have every right to mention him and I will continue to do so.
You go on about him as if he's some managerial genius. Anyway, the mere idea of sacking Lambert at such an early stage is ridiculous and furthermore isn't going to happen so there's no reaosn to bring up St Harry.

We finished 9th that season because we got lucky in playing teams In the run in who were suffering from injuries. FFS!

Lucky with injuries? You're **** kidding me. Part of the reason why we were even in a relegation battle that season was because of a horrendous injury crisis.

I don't think 10/11 should be grouped with last season and this season if I'm honest. We finished 9th that season and as people like to say, "the table doesn't lie".

No, I don't. We were very good for the majority of the Man United game and although we lost 5-0 to City today that result was in large part due to getting **** over by the linesman twice. Who knows what the score would've been had the penalty not wrongly been given at 1-0 but we were certainly in the game up until that point.

There have been some promising signs this season but our main problem really is that there has been absolutely no continuity so naturally things will take a while to click. Patience is needed but unfortunately many just don't have it. Perhaps this tag we have in the media for being self-hating, impatient and fickle moaners is right.

All in all we did spend on the right players in the summer, but it's going to take more than a couple of months to sort out such a huge mess.

And yet most of our best players in what has been a poor season so far have come from outside the Premier League. Vlaar has looked the best of a bad bunch at the back despite having no experience at all in England let alone the Premier League.

You seem to pin our problems on a lack of Premier League experience but that's just simply not true. It's the lack of quality that is the problem, mainly in midfield. I seem to recall us having lots of Premier League experience last season and it didn't seem to work out too well.

You go on about him as if he's some managerial genius. Anyway, the mere idea of sacking Lambert at such an early stage is ridiculous and furthermore isn't going to happen so there's no reaosn to bring up St Harry.

Lucky with injuries? You're **** kidding me. Part of the reason why we were even in a relegation battle that season was because of a horrendous injury crisis.

I don't think 10/11 should be grouped with last season and this season if I'm honest. We finished 9th that season and as people like to say, "the table doesn't lie".

Brilliant and agreed. :clap:

Like I said before, it's mid November, the table doesn't lie a third of the way into the season. Lose to arsenal and we will be on course for 26 points all season. Then again win the next 3 after arsenal and we give ourselves a chance of staying up.

When was the last time we had 3 consecutive seasons where relegation was a serious worry? How far back do we have to go?

We were 19th of 22 in Division 1 in 63-64 Big John, 16th in both 64/65 & 65/66 and went down in 21st place in 67-68. In Division 2 the next season 68/69 we were 18th and went down in 69-70 in 21st position. So I would go for 67-68, 68/69 & 69/70.

Thanks for that.

And still people believe we have a good owner.

Agree with Mantis. Great post. Lambert's appointment was always a long term project. Talk of sacking him and appointing Redknapp no less is silly and impatient at best.

Agreed the manager is not the issue and there's no point in sacking him.

It's a long term project and Lambert is not the issue at the club.

We lack experience, no we do t we lack quality?

Well Lambert has decided to freeze out the 2 players with both of this, given and bent!

The sooner those 2 are back in the team the sooner we will pick up points.

I'm not worried yet but you don't want to be in the bottom 3 at Christmas!