Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Sure, because we have the form and recent history to prove that we can go on a run like that. Only wins against those teams will do.

An honest question, asked in all sincerity, when was the last time we won 3 league games on the bounce?

Closest we were in the last seasons, were the second half of the 2010/11 season. Three times we had a patch of one draw and two wins under Houllier. I see no reason why we can not do that again this season.

January 2011:

Birmingham away - draw

City home - win

Wigan away - win

April 2011:

Everton away - draw

Newcastle home - win

West Ham away - win

May 2011

Wigan home - draw

Arsenal away - win

Liverpool home - win

No, I've answered them all clearly.

Because we're shit at holding leads and have been for a long time.

Yes. Would've liked it to go our way but I can recognise when we get lucky with the officials (which isn't very often).

Because it's a big job! Jesus Christ how often do I have to say this?

How am I supposed to know that?

Clarke has done well there but I don't think they'll finish where they are now. Of course, Clarke has benefited massively from coming into a club with continuity and a good set up behind the scenes.

Look harder, specifically where Fulham are. At that point they'd only got two points more than we have at the same point this season and that was under Jol, a manager both you and I rate. It just goes to show that managers need time and can turn things around.

Interestingly as well we weren't doing too badly at that point so it just goes to show how things can change.

Your quite obviously still deflecting some of the points I've raised such as if Lambert has purchased players for specific positions why is he now having to consider purchasing more players for the same positions. Surely if the right players have been purchased which was your point he therefore wouldn't have to fill those positions again and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Secondly I don't think anyone on here has stated that our situation couldn't change but it is going to take major investment in more quality experienced players in positions where we are still weak namely in defence and midfield despite a 20m investment already in those positions at the start of the season which follows on from my first point.

In the main Lambert's aquisations so far haven't improved our league position and in fact he has currently made it worse.

Thanks, so I think that proves we don't have recent history in putting together good runs.

And I worry that that is exactly what we need to do, we need a concerted run to haul us out of the mire.

The odd win, followed by a draw and loses will keep us down amongst the dead men.

I am truly worried that there will soon be a gap opening up that we won't be able to close.

I have no idea what the answer is though, we seem to be a club entrenched in the brown stuff and maybe it will finally catch up with us this time.

Lambert needs to be given time. Don't know why that's such an alien concept around here.

Lambert would be given more time if the results were better. Quite frankly they have been awful which is reflected in our present league position.

Arsenal, QPR, Reading, Stoke.

Wigan, Southampton, Swansea, WBA.

We need 7/8 points from both of these quartets so basically 25 points by the end of January.

I think if we get that we'll be o.k as I think teams will stay up on 35 or 36 points so it shouldn't be too difficult to get another 10 points on top of that.

8 points from each quartet = 2 wins and 2 draws from each so unbeaten in those 8 games. No chance.

Your quite obviously still deflecting some of the points I've raised such as if Lambert has purchased players for specific positions why is he now having to consider purchasing more players for the same positions. Surely if the right players have been purchased which was your point he therefore wouldn't have to fill those positions again and that's the point I'm trying to make.
He didn't purchase players in every position. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. I think Lambert purchased the right players but that doesn't mean I think the job's done and finished.

Secondly I don't think anyone on here has stated that our situation couldn't change but it is going to take major investment in more quality experienced players in positions where we are still weak namely in defence and midfield despite a 20m investment already in those positions at the start of the season which follows on from my first point.
Correction, quality players. Experience is ridiculous overrated on it. We need quality FFS.

In the main Lambert's aquisations so far haven't improved our league position and in fact he has currently made it worse.

How do you know Lambert's buys have made our league position worse?

Lambert would be given more time if the results were better. Quite frankly they have been awful which is reflected in our present league position.

So he should be given time as long as we're doing okay, err yeah?

Should be given time if he is a pile of wank currently as well, no manager turns a team around in a day.

As the OP said an alien concept to a hell of a lot of football fans.

He didn't purchase players in every position. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. I think Lambert purchased the right players but that doesn't mean I think the job's done and finished.

Correction, quality players. Experience is ridiculous overrated on it. We need quality FFS.

How do you know Lambert's buys have made our league position worse?

I have stated quality like every other poster you have questioned on this.

Last time I looked Lambert buys have been playing in the team. The team plays in the Premiership and we are currently 3rd from bottom.

Finally I'm not talking about building the squad. I'm talking specifically in the full back and midfield positions in the first team.

So he should be given time as long as we're doing okay, err yeah?

Should be given time if he is a pile of wank currently as well, no manager turns a team around in a day.

As the OP said an alien concept to a hell of a lot of football fans.

For me if we lose against Reading then he should be gone. You cannot persevere will failure.

I have stated quality like every other poster you have questioned on this.

You said experienced quality, but we only need quality.

Last time I looked Lambert buys have been playing in the team. The team plays in the Premiership and we are currently 3rd from bottom.
And you know that we'd be higher without those buys how?

Finally I'm not talking about building the squad. I'm talking specifically in the full back and midfield positions in the first team.

We could be alright at full-back were it not for injuries. As for midfield, a lot of work needed to be done there so I'm not surprised it's going to take more than one window.

Mantis, would you not agree that to get the best out of your quality as a player you might need experience? Especially at a time like this when the pressure is huge and the confidence is low.

Just look at Raheem Sterling in the latest England game against Sweden. Sterling has more raw talent than most of the Swedish player and play at a higher level, but in this game he looked like a 17 year old boy who played against grown men. Every time he got the ball he tried to do something difficult and extravagant instead of doing something that would benefit the team.

I argue that if Sterling had some more experiece he'd get more out of his talent, Same goes with our players

Weve had bad prem seasons before. What I feel is different now is that so many of the 'smaller' london clubs have such big backers - Fulham, QPR, were financial minnows a year back - but can now afford players we can't - (Yes I know it hasn't paid off at QPR yet - but give it time) - these clubs are now our equals, where as not so long back even a poor villa side would give them a walloping.

Genuine question when was the last time we gave anyone a walloping (league games only)