Rino8

I saw something yesterday claiming that aspas - suarez - coutinho would be as good as any attacking midfield line up that city or Chelsea could offer...

seems strange to me that with those stats and the apparent £20m buy out clause they are the only club in the hunt for Henrikh Mkhitaryan

seems strange to me that with those stats and the apparent £20m buy out clause they are the only club in the hunt for Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Ah, they're not. I heard yesterday that Barcelona were interested in him too along with 2 other clubs that I can't think of (but who were both CL clubs). If Liverpool get him it will be a massive coup.

I'll wager he'd be a success. Of that list only Arshavin is comparable in terms of playing style. Arshavin showed on a few occasions that he clearly had what it takes (e.g. scoring 4 in a game) and then he'd disappear for months. That's not an incompatible style. That's a nutter lacking focus.

Bandfromhand:

I disagree with you saying Liverpool are not in a much better place than us becuase:

It would appear they have more money

They finished 20 points ahead of us last season

They have better players all over the field. 

They have a greater potential of qualifying for Europe n the near future

They have a greater fan base

They have a prized asset in Luis Suarez

They are imo, buying players who a far better than the ones we are buying.

Bandfromhand:

I disagree with you saying Liverpool are not in a much better place than us becuase:

Of those I'll will agree with:

They finished 20 points ahead of us last season (well, more of a fact)

They have a greater fan base.

with a much bigger budget have acquired Joe Allen, Fabio Borini and in season before Downing and Jordan Henderson not forgetting the progressive signing of Kolo Toure

Bandfromhand:

My thoughts exactly

Yes they finished with more points than us, West Brom finished with more points than us last season, perhaps Tekkers should join them as they'll be a massive black belgian goalscorer down by the start of the season

Better players all over the field, really? Well we beat them 3-1 at theirs and they sneaked a 2-1 win at ours thanks largely to a ridiculous Baker challenge and a generally poor second half, we could have been 2 or 3 up at half time from what I recall so I would dispute that they categorically have better players than us across the field

Europe - do they though? Really? They may win a cup but then so may we, although 7th is obv a shitload better than 15th it still doesn't really matter where you finish if outside of the top 5 as apart from a bit of extra prize money you end up with the same thing - nothing.

Yes, they have a greater fan base both in the UK and abroad, cannot dispute this at all.

Yes, they have a prized asset................who's currently doing everything possible to leave.

I can neither agree with or argue the final point as frankly I know sweet FA about the players we're signing or the players they're signing, they seem to be spending 2 or 3 times as much as us on individual purchases but does that make them 'better'? Downing - £20M / Benteke £7M    Henderson - £20M / Lowton £1M      I could continue but you probably get the point

Liverpool after 20+ years of not winning the league and not even really coming close to it are no longer the club they once were, they still have a real appeal that's for sure but they're incomparable at the moment with the truly big clubs in England.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

Reina going to Barca apparently which is just bizarre as I dont think he's anywhere near that level anymore. A great keeper a couple of years ago but has been poor or late. Maybe he's just a bit out of sorts with Liverpool not being the level of club anymore that he joined? Maybe Barca will pull his old form out of him?

But I'm surprised Barca aren't looking for a younger keeper, like a ter stegen, de gea or courtois. Guess they may well have one coming through the ranks so they want somebody more experienced in the mean time. But it still seems strnge imo

Bandfromhand:

My thoughts exactly

Yes they finished with more points than us, West Brom finished with more points than us last season, perhaps Tekkers should join them as they'll be a massive black belgian goalscorer down by the start of the season

Better players all over the field, really? Well we beat them 3-1 at theirs and they sneaked a 2-1 win at ours thanks largely to a ridiculous Baker challenge and a generally poor second half, we could have been 2 or 3 up at half time from what I recall so I would dispute that they categorically have better players than us across the field

Europe - do they though? Really? They may win a cup but then so may we, although 7th is obv a shitload better than 15th it still doesn't really matter where you finish if outside of the top 5 as apart from a bit of extra prize money you end up with the same thing - nothing.

Yes, they have a greater fan base both in the UK and abroad, cannot dispute this at all.

Yes, they have a prized asset................who's currently doing everything possible to leave.

I can neither agree with or argue the final point as frankly I know sweet FA about the players we're signing or the players they're signing, they seem to be spending 2 or 3 times as much as us on individual purchases but does that make them 'better'? Downing - £20M / Benteke £7M    Henderson - £20M / Lowton £1M      I could continue but you probably get the point

Liverpool after 20+ years of not winning the league and not even really coming close to it are no longer the club they once were, they still have a real appeal that's for sure but they're incomparable at the moment with the truly big clubs in England.

Players - I would be interested to know one player of ours who you think is better than theirs in the same position?

So Liverpool finish 7th last season so they can not possibly improve on that into a European place? Hmmm, makes sense.

I mentioned Suarez as him leaving will result in a monumental amount of cash.

Why are you comparing our best buys against Liverpool's worst buys? - That is a really poor way of proving they are not buying better players. Also, what has the transfer fee got to do with it? I didnt say they were doing the best deals.

I don't remember claiming Liverpool compared to England's top clubs.

with a much bigger budget have acquired Joe Allen, Fabio Borini and in season before Downing and Jordan Henderson not forgetting the progressive signing of Kolo Toure

I am not sure what your suggesting here Zatman. With regards to the players I was pretty much referring to more recent signings. 

I would say Sturridge, Toure, Coutinho, Aspas and kid from Shakthar (if they go) are players who are going to have more of an immediate impact on next season than the 5 we have bought. Who knows in a few years time (as ours are unknown).

Â