Top 5 games of this generation

Ingram85

With the current generation of consoles slowly coming to an end I thought it would be interesting to see which games since around 2005/6 people would vote for for what they think are the best five games of this generation.

You also get to choose ONE extra game that doesnt quite make your top 5 but is what you consider to be a great game that others should play.

Maybe after a decent amount of time we can tot up all the votes and get a definitive selection.

Mine are all standard boring choices as I only really play on 360/PS3 and occasionally the Wii but in any case here are my 5 choices:

1: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2: Red Dead Redemption

3: Fallout 3 GOTY

4: Batman: Arkham City

5: TESIV: Oblivion GOTY

Unsung Hero:

Just Cause 2

1: Red Dead Redemption (by a distance)

2. Skyrim

3. COD4 MW (yes I now hate COD but that game was awesome)

4. GTA IV

5. Assassins Creed II

Isn't Oblivion from the last generation? If not, then that goes in at number 3.

I really need to play Fallout 3.

With this sort of thing you could always argue semantics - what makes a game top 5 - games that are technically best, which have pushed the current gen consoles to their limits, set benchmarks for the industry/that games genre, blahblah...I'll just keep it simple and tell you my favourites, in no particular order

Minecraft

Skyrim

Valkyria Chronicles

Tales of Graces f

Mass Effect

+Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Mother Flippin Battle Cars

I thought its probably best to keep it simple and list them rather than go into detail as to why so and so has picked x, y or z. Could get too messy.

Oooo darksiders was a great game and yes, the first modern warfare was brilliant, shame about everything else afterwards.

I will exclude PC games as that's a constantly evolving platform, so console wise:

Dark Souls (best game of this generation by a mile imo)

Oblivion (twice the game of Skyrim imo)

Limbo

Fallout New Vegas

Assassins Creed Brotherhood

Bubbling under:

Borderlands

Not thought about it too much:

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls (nothing comes close, for me)

World of Warcraft TBC/WoTLK

Fallout 3/New Vegas

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Fallout could have been so much better if it was with the original developers, the new one just seems a bit watered down.

Werent you about five when the original games came out? Can you really have any reverence for them or are you just echoing whines you read on the internet? :suspect:

FWIW Fallout New Vegas was made by Obsidian, who are a company made of ex Black Isle staff, who of course made the first two Fallout games.

Dunno about mine. I'd have PC games in there too, and I guess the cut off would be DX9 for that as the Xbox 360 is basically a DX9 machine. So, first draft is this:

1] World of Warcraft

2] Half Life 2

3] Portal (or should I just merge answers 2 & 3 and say The Orange Box?)

4] Skyrim

5] Modern Warfare 2 (it just grabbed me in a way none of the other Call of Duty games managed to.)

Honourable mention for Shadow Complex.

1) Half Life 2

2) Portal

3) GTA IV

4) Twilight Princess

5) Halo 3

Honourable mention: Fifa (in general). It isn't good enough to be on the proper list, but it's the computer game that I play by far the most.

Mine probably differ from a lot of people's as I don't really play that many games (and when I do it's about 3 years after they were released). but those are the 5 I've enjoyed the most.

If COD4 had a longer single player campaign it would be on the list. I absolutely loved it for the couple of hours I played it.

erm. i can pick 3, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3 and Bioshock.

another notable mention goes to Rainbow Six: vegas. The amount of hours i spent on that game was ridiculous, before COD: MW came out, this was the game to play. Must have spent months playing terrorist hunts on those maps.

Probably can't pick 5 really

Mass Effect 2

Red Dead

Assassins Creed 2

Call of Duty 4

I'll put Mass Effect 3 in there too I suppose.

There've been a lot of games I've loved but haven't really been standout titles. Saints Row 3, Borderlands are the first I think of.

I'm a little surprised GTA IV is getting mentioned, it was pretty underwhelming IMO

ME3 is the epitome of underwhelming.
Was a little, but I'm kind of putting it in there because I haven't played Skyrim or Fallout, and even though it did a pretty poor job of finally concluding things, it was still a great game. (Although the reason it was such a good game was largely down to ME2)

Â