Top of the Flops: Mcleish, Houllier Or DOL?

Demitri_C

Who was the worst manager?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst manager?

• Gerard Houllier
    • David O'Leary
    • Alex McLeish

McLeish has 84% of the vote. What's to complain about? The fact some (i.e. me) see someone else as being worse, and have said why - removing any personality from my own argument against Houllier - should be enough.

If this was a 'worst personality' contest then I can assure you O'Leary would win my vote by a f**king country mile.

mcleish for me, just looking at the win % stats it's pretty clear. houllier is suprisingly high up the win % charts though!

compare them all

better than DOL's.

interesting seeing the opinions that houllier made mcleish's job harder. i can see why you coudl think that seeing as we finihed 6th then all of a sudden flirted with relegation. that was definitely down to houllier wanting to change things, there was resistance from a group of players to that by all accounts which didn't help.

the issues with the back 4 throughout the 2 seasons i think would indicate that neither mcleish nor houllier coudl get the best out of them. not that houllier somehow hypnotised them and turned them into shit defenders. neither of them could get the same players (mostly) to defend a set piece. something we were good at with MON.

it's not like mcliesh was trying to continue houlliers changes, there was a marked difference in style!

How anyone can put AML as better than Houllier is beyond me. The stats and games speaks for themselves.

First of all the defence. Yes, he admitted that it was bad and that he wasn't going to do something about untill the summer. Why? Because the problems with th defence was that the players couldn't play to his system. And he couldn't sign a whole new defence untill the summer. He had to stick with them and hope they were good enough to keep us up. AML had the same defe3nce the season after, bar Hutton instead of Young. And he could've kept Young if he wanted to. The thing is the defence were worse under AML than under Houllier. Houllier wins.

We gave up one game under Houllier before it was played, Man Citeh away in the cup. AML gave up almost every game away before it started.

I find it hard to remember one single thrilling game under AML. I was at VP when we drew 2-2 against man utd. THAT was a thrilling game. And we had a couple more thrilling games.

I don't think our record on corners have ever been as bad as under AML. One goal scored in a cup game, several let in.

And the fact that Houllier not only didn't have a full pre season, he even took over a fair few games into the season. And if the squad was that good before he came and he tore it apart, why the hell did we have the most embarrasing game I've ever seen losing 6-0 to newly promoted Newcastle before he came?

And for those who say it's a myth he'd turn it around during the summer I can only say it's not a myth. It could only be a myth if he'd got the chance to try and failed and then people said that he was successfull. Something not even close to happening can never be a myth. I for one think he could've done it, doesn't mean he certainly would've. But I only say Cabaye. He would've been a better signing than Zog. And maybe a few signings like that would've made Downing stay. Who knows? Probably not, but we can't be sure.

And to give him no credit at all for the wins against liverpool and arsenal is just plain daft. Gmac worked under him and took his orders and the team played as he wanted them to.

And whilst Houllier got Walker, AML got Hutton.

The only thing he did worse than AML was the farse against liverpool. More what he did and said after the game than the loss itself.

Having said all that, they're both gone and we seems to be heading in the right direction again. And I rather have Lambert now than Houllier last season. Onwards and upwards.

So you think people are letting personality sway them in what you see is a personality dead heat. Fairy nuff.
Nope. All I said was that I think some are letting personality get in the way of results. That said, I've never understood what was so endearing about McLeish's personality either.

Do you not think that mcleish was trying ? he seemed to try and give the puppy eyes in interviews when he was doing terrible but in the dressing room he was going mental... ( my brother told me this )

So you think people are letting personality sway them in what you see is a personality dead heat. Fairy nuff.
Nope. All I said was that I think some are letting personality get in the way of results. That said, I've never understood what was so endearing about McLeish's personality either.

Do you not think that mcleish was trying ? he seemed to try and give the puppy eyes in interviews when he was doing terrible but in the dressing room he was going mental... ( my brother told me this )

No, I just think McLeish is incredibly shit and incapable of sending out a side to win.

No hard feeling towards Houllier in all honesty. In my opinion I think he was starting to build something interesting, and the football on display wasn't that bad.

As much as I hated the way we played under McLeish, I bear him no ill feelings. The fact that he came from down the road, never bothered me. It's just the job was too big for him, and he wasn't up to it.

O'Leary though, I despise. The constant whining about the squad's age and ability (or lack of). The talking us down in press. The constant references to when he was at Leeds. Saying we couldn't compete with the like of Charlton. Moaning at the fans for expecting better. He just never understood the club. I've never been as happy as when he got the boot, even when McLeish did.

O'Leary was detestable, but AMC was simply a crap manager.....no question. I did'nt dislike him, he just showed a complete lack of football nous and you always felt that mediocre was his middle name.

Houllier, tbh, I always thought had a clearer idea of what he wanted to do and had the connections to do it.....eventually. Unfortunately, time was never going to be on his side and that, sadly, could be the one thing that trips Lambert up. Hope not though.

No, I just think McLeish is incredibly shit and incapable of sending out a side to win.

Hmmm fair enough, Id have to agree he was awful. And playing a long ball up to gabby was one of the worst tactics ive ever seen down at VP.

I wouldn't put DOL in this poll. He started very well, he just went downhill very rapidly. Whilst his last season was a disaster, he showed enough in the previous seasons that he wasn't THAT bad a manager.

Houllier came in, pissed off a squad who were otherwise close and friendly. In a matter of months he undid the work MON had done. Yes, MON leaving screwed us over, but Houllier really stuck the final nail in the coffin of that whole saga.

However. I'm still voting for McLeish. Last season was one I never ever want to think about. I can't think of a single highlight. I can't think of any real positives. The day he was sacked was the happiest day I've had a Villa fan for several years. That tells it all.

Really tough choice between Houllier and Mcleish for me but I've decided to go for Houllier because he had a much better team and we were still terrible. And also the fact that I thought he was a complete word removed who thought we we're beneath him. Its like choosing a better tasting turd though.

Sorry but MON needs to be in on this poll

Yes he cleared up the debris of DOL but then created a bigger toxic problem

A problem we are still dealing with

& the way he walked out and timing is inexcusable

I blame the come down from the MON/top 6/cup final journey. We were on the crest of a wave and then it all came crashing down without any explanation of why apart from our own specualtion.

It created a snowball of hate that just kept getting bigger and bigger. It could have been any manager next - our expectations were so high, anything below 6th was a huge failure.

I'm glad that finaly we are coming out of that storm, and can start again.

Sorry but MON needs to be in on this poll

Yes he cleared up the debris of DOL but then created a bigger toxic problem

A problem we are still dealing with

& the way he walked out and timing is inexcusable

Bollocks - regardless of what he may or may not of caused - challenging for the top 4 and being in cup finals isn't called being a flop.

I blame the come down from the MON/top 6/cup final journey. We were on the crest of a wave and then it all came crashing down without any explanation of why apart from our own specualtion.

It created a snowball of hate that just kept getting bigger and bigger. It could have been any manager next - our expectations were so high, anything below 6th was a huge failure.

I'm glad that finaly we are coming out of that storm, and can start again.

Agreed. Probably explains why there aren't so many votes for McLeish. Expectations were much lower for him due to the previous season, sales of Young and Downing and because he had a record of being an incredibly shit manager.

Personally I think pretty much any manager coming in in that 10/11 season would have had a tough job. A lot of the players weren't as good as we thought they were.

Â