Top of the Flops: Mcleish, Houllier Or DOL?

Demitri_C

Who was the worst manager?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst manager?

• Gerard Houllier
    • David O'Leary
    • Alex McLeish

Oh I even forgot Houllier's behaviour towards away fans and at Anfield and his complete capitulation before certain games had even kicked off when I was lambasting him. His is a rich tapestry of clusterfuckery made worse by the fact he was a smug French word removed.
We capitulated even more under McLeish.
That's not the point I was making. We tried and failed miserably under McLeish. He was atrocious. But there were games under Houllier where the team selection admitted defeat before we were even on the pitch. He literally gave games away with his selections.

think Warnock treatment by Houllier was pathetic especially as he ratehr play Delph there than Warnock. He is not greatest player we ever had but id ratehr a natural left back than a midfielder

Nah disagree, he was right to freeze him out even better he was with the reserves and nowhere near first team just a shame he didn't ship him off too.. still waiting for this day it will come soon I hope.

Yeah but he also froze out Ireland for seemingly no reason. A year or two on and he's arguably our best player, so I doubt it was down to ability. He probably just didn't like them.

Mcleish seemed very annoyed and frustrated because he wanted to win the fans over ( even though it was never going to happen)
Why's that?

Oh I even forgot Houllier's behaviour towards away fans and at Anfield and his complete capitulation before certain games had even kicked off when I was lambasting him. His is a rich tapestry of clusterfuckery made worse by the fact he was a smug French word removed.
We capitulated even more under McLeish.
That's not the point I was making. We tried and failed miserably under McLeish. He was atrocious. But there were games under Houllier where the team selection admitted defeat before we were even on the pitch. He literally gave games away with his selections.
I only recall us doing that once under Houllier, but we also did it under McLeish.

I also see this thread as Villa fans' attempt to cling to the negative. We've nothing to give out about at the moment. This thread is basically an exercise in deciding what's the smelliest poo in the toilet. I don't really care. I'm glad this collection of rocket polishers is gone and I'd rather look forward to next season rather than dwell on and re-open some festering sores from the recent past.

think Warnock treatment by Houllier was pathetic especially as he ratehr play Delph there than Warnock. He is not greatest player we ever had but id ratehr a natural left back than a midfielder

Nah disagree, he was right to freeze him out even better he was with the reserves and nowhere near first team just a shame he didn't ship him off too.. still waiting for this day it will come soon I hope.

Yeah but he also froze out Ireland for seemingly no reason. A year or two on and he's arguably our best player, so I doubt it was down to ability. He probably just didn't like them.

Ireland is proving everyone wrong including myself which is good to see however both were different.

Warnock will never do the same because he was never good enough in the first place, atleast Ireland was pretty decent at City.. Warnock has been a poor left back and he is overhyped because he played at Anfield imo.

Ireland has the ability - Warnock doesn't.

Ireland is proving everyone wrong including myself which is good to see however both were different.

Except for me... How he got player of the season i will never know. Hes better i understand that. But hes probably a tenth of what he was at citeh. Last season against chelski he was top class besides from that he hasnt proved me wrong.

So you disagree with him getting POTS and you dismiss the examples where he proves you wrong when assessing him. You don't think you might have a slightly closed mind on the subject maybe? Just slightly?

Getting POTS is neither here nor there. In a discussion about someone improving on the pitch; someone who was useless for a long time; surely even being in contention for POTS points at some kind of 'an improvement'. Agreeing with the winning of it isn't the make or break of the argument.

So you disagree with him getting POTS and you dismiss the examples where he proves you wrong when assessing him. You don't think you might have a slightly closed mind on the subject maybe? Just slightly?

Towards me is this ? Tbh i just think that hes not a patch that he was at city... im still dissapointed that at city he was so creative and at villa hes just very average.

Yes he had class players with him at city... but ireland was the main source of so much in that squad i thought he'd continue at villa with good players around him like young,downing and bent. And okay then fine... as i said he proved me wrong once against chelsea. All im saying is i want him to do it week in week out ;)

To be fair, I don't know how Ireland got POTS. He was decent but certainly not our best player.

Because he was consistently average, nobody else managed that

He hardly played up until the new year. What about Stan? He was consistent right up until his illness.

To be fair, I don't know how Ireland got POTS. He was decent but certainly not our best player.

Because he was consistently average, nobody else managed that

He hardly played up until the new year. What about Stan? He was consistent right up until his illness.

On that point I'd completely agree with you. Stan would still have been my choice, I was just explaing why I thought SI won, not expessing my choice

Jesus Christ, if McLeish never lost the dressing room then he must've been even worse than I thought! Wow, to think that his teams can turn in such shit and lifeless performances without him even loosing the dressing room. I don't even want to imagine how poor we would have been had he actually lost the dressing room.

thats a good point mantis if true. can you imagine how bad we would ahve been if he did lose them. at least we saw some fight in some games under houllier, wolves away, united home.

with mcleish there was no fight at all. it was just hopeless fools. we would have gone down if there wasnt so many awful sides last season. also for anyone to sign this lump for 6m alone cant be defended

_46351889_brown-hutton_766.jpg

at least houllier realised we were screwed and bought in a exciting signing like darren bent. that day was unbelievable

Mcleish carried on the terrible work by houllier and made it even worse.

Houllier took a squad that had just had a good season (minus Milner) and destroyed every single thing that was good about it. Now that takes some doing.

The myth he had a plan is hilarious. We were a shamble at the back and he publicly refused to address the problems. He played Ashley young in the hole, basically making our best player totally ineffective in games. Our players tried to keep the ball but their was little emphasis on actually trying to do anything with it.

We were actually pathetic once going behind with houllier in charge, TBF to Mcleish he improved this.

Now we have lambert it's easier to look back on this shit. Oh randy what were you thinking?

Â