Top of the Flops: Mcleish, Houllier Or DOL?

Demitri_C

Who was the worst manager?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst manager?

• Gerard Houllier
    • David O'Leary
    • Alex McLeish

It was never in McLeish's brief to sign anyone of the magnitude of Bent.

can you imagine if he did? he would have spent it all on a team of defenders and defensive midfielders. i think houllier did well with that signing. that is one of the few things i will give him credit for.

You missed out on the fact houllier had young and downing.

No I didn't. Twice in my first three sentences I said "simply because of what he had to work with" and "Houllier had far more talent in his squad than McLeish did". I'm getting used to people not reading what I write :P

No I didn't. Twice in my first three sentences I said "simply because of what he had to work with" and "Houllier had far more talent in his squad than McLeish did". I'm getting used to people not reading what I write :P

:lol: my bad then...

You'd think you'd get used to people not reading what you write.

I'm genuinely shocked that McLeish hasn' got a higher percentage.

When I think 'flop', I think of someone you actually expected to do at least fairly well, **** up quite badly. Tbh, most of us never had high hopes for McLeish, so in that regard, I would never consider him a flop. While like others had mentioned, with the squad Houllier had you would have expected at least a little bit more than what we got.

With the pleasure of the Olympics going on, someone has to bring this up. Pain, pain and pain. And none of them had the guts and decency to walk away without a massive payout...

And Houlllier was even the worst at that, he was ill, incapable of management (as he later admitted) and he forced us to sack him

When I think 'flop', I think of someone you actually expected to do at least fairly well, **** up quite badly. Tbh, most of us never had high hopes for McLeish, so in that regard, I would never consider him a flop. While like others had mentioned, with the squad Houllier had you would have expected at least a little bit more than what we got.

Fair point actually.

And it fwe were defining it like that then I'd actually change my vote thinking about it.

But if it were a straight "Who did a worse job" then McLeish would win hands down.

I'm not. I honestly believe that he could've relegated us and still some people would vote for Houllier. IMO some let personalities overshadow results. Having said that, I think McLeish was just as bad personality-wise than DOL and Houllier.

Fair point actually.

And it fwe were defining it like that then I'd actually change my vote thinking about it.

But if it were a straight "Who did a worse job" then McLeish would win hands down.

It's a bit contradictory. It says "top of the flops", but the actual poll says "who was the worst manager?".

So you think people are letting personality sway them in what you see is a personality dead heat. Fairy nuff.
Nope. All I said was that I think some are letting personality get in the way of results. That said, I've never understood what was so endearing about McLeish's personality either.

Â