Top of the Flops: Mcleish, Houllier Or DOL?

Demitri_C

Who was the worst manager?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst manager?

• Gerard Houllier
    • David O'Leary
    • Alex McLeish

if a poll could be added by a mod that would be fantastic

ok i included dol only on his final season here as he was utter dire.

who in your opinion was the worst as they were all very poor in their own way?

in the red corner we have scotlands finest alex mcleish. a man notorious for negative and boring football.

in the blue corner we have frances own self-proclaimed CL winning manager (even though he was never manager at the time when liverpool won the champions league) who was arguably a PR disaster, fallouts with players and awful at getting his side to defend

then in the black corner we have david o'leary arguably one of the most unpopular managers in our history. the first two seasons were decent but his final has to go down as one of the worst. awful football, no passion and insulted the fans on a number of occasions

so who for you was the biggest flop?

my vote goes to scotlands finest alex mcleish. nothing and i mean nothing about his era was positive. he flopped in every department. couldnt defend, couldnt score, couldnt win at home. simply awful and for our worst manager ever

Easily McLeish. We don't even need this thread do we?

O'Leary - things turned very sour for him, but we did OK under him for a while.

Houllier was trying to change things and if he had had more time I think we would have seen improvements.

McLeish was terrible the whole time.

No contest.

Mcleish was awful, it was a truly shocking season under him but we were already on the downward slope thanks to houllier and he'd lost young and downing.

After MoN left we had just had a good season, if we'd appointed the right man after him I believe we'd still be up there, top 8 in the prem.

Houllier basically **** everything good about us up. Under him the defence fell apart, the confidence of the players fell apart and I've never seen us so pathetic once going behind in a game. It took him the best part of 20 games before he stopped playing Ashley young out of position and our best two results of that year came when he was no where near the first team.

Also I can't remember another time where our PR team had to beg journalists not to print what was said in the conference because houllier was such a **** up in this department.

It's very close between all 3 but I'll vote for houllier because after the season before we should never have been worried about relegation that year and with 2 games left we were still not 100% safe.

Houllier, without a shadow of a doubt.

Managed to undo all of the good work done by MON leaving McLeish the legacy of a squad in turmoil. DOL became bad but started off well.

Yep, this. I think if McLeish had taken over when Houllier did he would have done better a job. But I'm very glad both are gone, obviously.

Managed to undo all of the good work done by MON leaving McLeish the legacy of a squad in turmoil. DOL became bad but started off well.

Houllier hardly inherited the perfect team from MON did he? Some very good players, some very bad. I think most managers would have struggled trying to replicate what O'Neill had achieved.

He had to tear it apart to rebuild it. We only saw the first half of this.

At least he had a plan!

Houllier hardly inherited the perfect team from MON did he? Some very good players, some very bad. I think most managers would have struggled trying to replicate what O'Neill had achieved.

He had to tear it apart to rebuild it. We only saw the first half of this.

At least he had a plan!

Agree. No way in this universe that Houllier was worse than Mcleish.

Houllier just tried to change it too quickly. The players he signed and wanted to sign, I've no doubt he would have turned us into a good side.

He just went about it the wrong way.

End of the day we finished 9th whether he was there till the end or not.

Mcleish all day long, every day, every night, every time. fact.

McLeish was bad on results and football played BUT people tend to forget he had our 2 main attacking threats from midfield sold on him. am not defending him.

plus was only hated because where he came from ;)

Voted for Mcleish but as i have stated before he was given a poison chalice to start with and was therefore partly a victim of circumstance. However we got progressively worse under his tenure and that cannot be excused.

Houllier if his health had allowed him, would have turned us around and made us a top six team again and although he didn't endear himself to the fan base with his bias towards Liverpool, i believe he would have gone on to be very successful here.

O'Leary was just a dick and no more should be said about him.

Agree. No way in this universe that Houllier was worse than Mcleish.

Houllier just tried to change it too quickly. The players he signed and wanted to sign, I've no doubt he would have turned us into a good side.

Agreed.

At least Houllier had a plan.

He was badm, bt he was bad because he tried to change too much too soon at a time when we couldn't afford to take that step backwards in order to go forwards. We'd had a major upheaval and he should have tried to steady the ship rather than turn the place upside down.

I think with time he'd have turned us into a half decent team, we just couldn't afford to take that time. That was his weakness.

McLeish, on the other hand, had no plan. or if he did, he did a bloody good job of hiding it from the rest of us. Not once did I watch a McLeish game and think "I see what he's trying to do here".

He was a total disaster

McLeish was bad on results and football played BUT people tend to forget he had our 2 main attacking threats from midfield sold on him. am not defending him.

plus was only hated because where he came from ;)

Most people gave him a chance but it didn't take long to find other reasons to hate him did it?

Â