Top of the Flops: Mcleish, Houllier Or DOL?

Demitri_C

Who was the worst manager?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst manager?

• Gerard Houllier
    • David O'Leary
    • Alex McLeish

McLeish single-handedly destroyed my passion for football and Aston Villa whilst he was here. Towards the latter half of the season I just stopped caring and following results because it was all just so negative. I still can't believe we hired that clown.

**** you Alex McLeish.

McLeish single-handedly destroyed my passion for football and Aston Villa whilst he was here. Towards the latter half of the season I just stopped caring and following results because it was all just so negative. I still can't believe we hired that clown.

**** you Alex McLeish.

This, depressing doesn't begin to describe it.

Don't get me wrong Mcleish was awful but I voted for Houllier because he had a much better team imo and we were still in a relegation scrap
But we finished 9th. We finished 16th under McLeish. We were in a relegation scrap under both managers but we improved under Houllier whereas under McLeish we got worse.

The drop from where we were under MoN to what was served up under houllier was massive.

The drop from the shit houllier served up to the shit Mcleish served up was not as dramatic. Mcleish just carried on the downward spiral.

Houllier is also a massive word removed, he knew full well he would not be able to return as manager but still made sure he got his **** pay off.

The drop from where we were under MoN to what was served up under houllier was massive.

The drop from the shit houllier served up to the shit Mcleish served up was not as dramatic. Mcleish just carried on the downward spiral.

Houllier is also a massive word removed, he knew full well he would not be able to return as manager but still made sure he got his **** pay off.

9th to 16th is a much bigger drop than 6th to 9th.

How do you know he thought wouldn't be able to return? Can you read minds?

I wasn't judging the drop soley on league position.

Everything good about the year under MoN was destroyed under houllier. We went from going into the 37th game of the season still in with a slim chance of 4th to going into the 37th game of the season still with a slim chance of going down. It was a massive drop.

The change in our defending was huge and the change in our attitude once we went behind was huge. The confidence in our players also was destroyed by houllier.

Mcleish just carried on everything that was bad under houllier and just managed to make things worse.

I don't need to read his mind. Given the state he said he was still in months later i doubt any doctor told him he could go back or any member of his family suggested it. I truly believe he knew it wasn't possible and did what he could to make sure he was paid.

You keep spouting this shite but Houllier didn't manage us for 10 of the league games. In the 28 games he did manage us we took just 33 points at 1.17 points a games. Under the 10 games under K Mac and G MAC - 5 games each we took 15 points at 1.5 points a game.

Houllier was well past his use by date and sadly for us a disrespectful tosser just to add insult to injury.

McLeish was just useless but wasn't helped by having to sell of 38 mill of talent, losing three of our best players in Young, Downing and Freidel and having less than half the money to replace them.

Hollier inherited a squad that had just finished 6th with our best ever Prem 38 game points total, less Milner but with Ireland, had 30 mill to spend and still had us in or around the relegation places for 5 months serving up gutless tripe. He was a disgrace. The relief I felt when we **** him off was huge as that useless, disrespectful prick never deserved to manage this great club with its fantastic support.

I wasn't judging the drop soley on league position.

Everything good about the year under MoN was destroyed under houllier. We went from going into the 37th game of the season still in with a slim chance of 4th to going into the 37th game of the season still with a slim chance of going down. It was a massive drop.

The change in our defending was huge and the change in our attitude once we went behind was huge. The confidence in our players also was destroyed by houllier.

Mcleish just carried on everything that was bad under houllier and just managed to make things worse.

I don't need to read his mind. Given the state he said he was still in months later i doubt any doctor told him he could go back or any member of his family suggested it. I truly believe he knew it wasn't possible and did what he could to make sure he was paid.

This is very strange logic. I know you laugh when people suggest that MON was partly to blame for Houllier's season yet you're basically saying that Houllier was to blame for McLeish's season. That's double standards. Even before Houllier came in we were dire. Remember the 6-0 drubbing at Newcastle, or the disaster against Rapid Vienna? It was clear before Houllier's name was even linked with us that we were in for a tough season. It's not like we were doing well and high on confidence and then Houllier comes in and everything falls apart. We were already on a downward slope, Milner leaving and St Martin storming out on us being two of many reasons why.

At least we improved towards the end under Houllier. Under McLeish it was just one long slide downwards.

You keep spouting this shite but Houllier didn't manage us for 10 of the league games. In the 28 games he did manage us we took just 33 points at 1.17 points a games. Under the 10 games under K Mac and G MAC - 5 games each we took 15 points at 1.5 points a game.
And as I've already explained, even when Houllier was taken ill we were 9th (or there abouts).

McLeish was just useless but wasn't helped by having to sell of 38 mill of talent, losing three of our best players in Young, Downing and Friedel and having less than half to replace them.
I've never understood why you always point out the factors that counted against McLeish (fair points) yet never point out the factors that counted against Houllier. I don't understand how you can spout so much vitriol towards Houllier yet almost completely let McLeish off despite the latter doing a worse job and serving up even more "gutless tripe" than Houllier.

Houllier inherited a squad that had just finished 6th with our best ever Prem 38 game points total, less Milner but with Ireland, had 30 mill to spend and still had us in or around the relegation places for 5 months serving up gutless tripe. He was a disgrace. The relief I felt when we **** him off was huge as that useless, disrespectful prick never deserved to manage this great club with its fantastic support.
As I just explained, the squad was clearly never going to get anywhere close to replicating 09/10 even before Houllier came in. It's pathetic that people act us if everything was rosy until he came in. It wasn't.

Even though it's Mcleish by a country mile I think MON had the best opportunity to do something big at Villa than any manager has ever had at our club. He was given a lot of money to spend and took our wage bill to one of the highest in the world so with this had to come Champions league. Unfortunaty it just wasn't gonna happen. Maybe a 5 year plan was unrealistic and it should have been a 10 year plan? Although I wa chuffed when MON took over maybe in hindsight it should have been a manager that had already succeeded at the highest level. I.e. a Rafa or Hiddink type character.

I can't believe DOL has a single vote tbh, yes he was bad in the end but he started off well and was working under Ellis' constraints. Plenty of people have mentioned the £20mil to £80mil thing like the £20mil wage bill was a good thing. That's a full squad averaging less than £20k a week, Ellis in the end was strangling the club to death and DOL had to work with that, which was why in the end he went behind Ellis' back and organised the Sorrenson protest letter. DOL was also a disrespectful arsehole too but despite that you have to give him some credit for his early work. The other two actually had much more to play with, even McLeish who was working to an austerity budget. Houllier however inherited a good squad, destroyed it and by his own self admission couldn't repair the damage until the summer. Then despite being incapable of carrying on, forced us to sack him to get his pay off.

I really don't think the squad Houllier inherited was a good as people thought it was at the time. Under MON then yes it was a good squad, but I think under most managers it was average. As I've said many times, if it was such a good squad then how come we weren't doing that well in the weeks before Houllier came? If I'm honest I think we were on a downward curve from the Carling Cup final. Obviously Houllier did a poor job but it's not like there weren't already problems.

Also, I wouldn't say McLeish had an austerity budget, he just spent his money poorly.

But yes, I agree that it's odd that DOL has any votes. Then again, I can't believe 100% of the votes haven't gone to McLoser.

Having half of what was recouped in outgoing transfers is an austerity budget. McLeish's job was stabilisation, Houllier was meant to push us on! Houllier had money to spend, McLeish had to replace Downing and Young and no budget to do it with

Having half of what was recouped in outgoing transfers is an austerity budget. McLeish's job was stabilisation, Houllier was meant to push us on! Houllier had money to spend, McLeish had to replace Downing and Young and no budget to do it with
He had a budget. Yes it was on the small side but he didn't exactly spend it well. He blew nigh on £13m on Hutton and N'Zogbia.

Â