Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He is a crock and probably wants to leave- who can blame him? If we can get 5 mil for him he will have to let him go. If he went to a bigger club without sounding sour grapes I think he would get found out and no way could he could  cope playing 2 games a week if his club plays in Europe. He is a above average defender who had a good world cup.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Seen this in the Express, looks like he's off...http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/544738/Manchester-United-and-Arsenal-boost-in-Ron-Vlaar-chase

MANCHESTER UNITED and Arsenal have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Ron Vlaar

The Aston Villa skipper, who had been hoping to make his return today against Leicester City after recovering from a calf injury, has cast doubt over his future at Villa Park.

"These are troubled times at Villa," said Vlaar.

"The manager has said he won't let me leave during the season but I don't know what will happen if clubs come in for me."

Louis van Gaal is keen to sign Vlaar as he attempts to bolster his back line.

However, United will have to battle with both Arsenal and Southampton who have also been linked to the defender.

Arsene Wenger had reportedly been readying a £8million for the Dutchman.

We had all this in the summer when he may possibly have been at the height of his career, and no one came near him.

His comment looks a bit desperate.

As for the interested clubs, show me their quotes and I will believe it!  Arsenal and ManU? Journalistic rubbish.

Southampton manager made some comments in the summer - that's it!

Having said that, I would like him to be sold in January. We look like we can manage without him - perhaps that is why he is showing some desperation.

If we have all our other centre backs fit in January I'd hope we would  try and get a fee for him and use it to bump up the transfer kitty.  If he does stay for the rest of the season I'd like to see the captain armband taken off him and given to Senderos or maybe Westwood or even Hutton.  They are players who lead by example but more importantly have a future at the club. 

if we get offered 8 million we would be mad not to accept it. hes off for free and he wont stay. So hes not committed to the club. The form of our other CB's has been brilliant.. we could even go after another one in the transfer window ourselves. 

Let him go get his last big pay day and play some big matches. We get some money and everyone is happy.

• Like 1

Not bothered either way - if he stays until the summer and then leaves on a free it's a £3m fee we have written off but he's insurance in case one of the other centre halves gets injured.

If he goes and we get a decent fee of £5m then it's money to invest in the team.

If we're on 28 points plus at the end of January then I'd cash in.

Edited by Robbie09

I think we could put the money to better use. He has himself to consider, but so do we.

quite like the fella reads the game ok....isn't particularly dominant in the air, which is a draw back, but decent on the deck..... but most importantly, out far too often.

cash in, I say, while is stock is good...ish.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

We should have offered him a new contract during last season. He might have signed it then as might have Delph but we took our eyes of the ball and neither would now following their respective World Cup and England call up.

What part of "The manager has said he won't let me leave during the season" does Vlaar not understand? He clearly cannot wait to leave us can he? He adds "but I don't know what will happen if clubs come in for me".

Let me explain Ron. You will stay where you are and see out the contract that we have with you unless someone makes us an offer we cannot refuse at a point we think your departure will not put our safety in question.

So you had better get those boots on, start getting points on the board for us and tell your agent or the club you may have had a word with that their bid needs to be something other than peanuts to stand any chance of being accepted!

Shades of Dwight about this sadly. Don't let the exit door hit you on the backside when you run out of our club sooner or later!    

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Take the captaincy off him too. Leave it with Gabby. Might make him play more consistent knowing he has extra responsibility to lift the team every week.

Gabby hardly rose to the challenge when he was made interim captain when Petrov was ill.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gabby and think he's and important part of the team but he isn't really captain material.

• Like 3

Take the captaincy off him too. Leave it with Gabby. Might make him play more consistent knowing he has extra responsibility to lift the team every week.

with respect, I think you have this the wrong way around.

you aspire to be captain....not get your own motivation going by offering it to you....YOU EARN IT.

I don't think I'd miss him. Fair dos if he wants to leave - twilight of his career and could play for Man Utd etc - but I don't think he's as good as people seem to think he is. Overhyped and we've actually looked stronger without him recently.

Westwood should be captain.

Vlaar can go, don't want players who don't want to be here, especially if they are the bloody captain!

Injured too often and Baker and Clark have really raised their game. Senderos and Baker, Clark and Okore, both combinations looked pretty solid, although early days to judge.

Okore looks plenty capable of stepping up and being our main defender though. He speed and Bakers aerial ability I think will become our first choice.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Lol at the people saying he's average. So average man united, arsenal and Napoli are after him.

It's only the recent form of okore and Clark that is making his exit less of a worry.

Like him and rate him but fingers crossed the other lads have stepped up since his absence and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

Ron should be less greedy and more prudent, given his fitness record.  

He should sign any deal on the table now, i.e. with us. He'll look pretty daft if he gets injured again before his dream team come in for him, and he gets left high and dry with no contract at all in the summer.

If he leaves in jan for the 5-8m quoted I will be happy as I think we could buy a proven quality replacement.

He would have to be replaced though this is our top centre back we are talking about not third choice.

Midfielders can be brought out of our original season budget which we know we have at least 8m left of.

Â