Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Would say theres a strong possibility of Vlaar leaving in January. 29 years old with 1 big pay packet ahead of him is enough on its own. On the back of a good world cup, playing with players who play in the CL, the attraction of joining them would be great.

Lerner has a track record of avoiding player exchanges. A straight swap for Cleverley would work for me though. Not sure we could manufacture this given the short period left on Vlaars contract.

Do Villa have an opportunity of a 12 month extension? This could be key

I don't understand all this talk of a 'player swap' with Cleverley. At all. We've agreed a deal to buy Cleverley at £8m if we want him. That's a deal that has been agreed. We don't need to sweeten it by giving them one of our best players for free!

Hanoi-Working on the assumption that it's a straight choice between losing Vlaar for nothing in the summer or getting as much as we can for him in January, for me it makes more sense to cash in. I'm still confident we will hit 40+ points with ease this season so the relegation factor shouldn't be an issue.

If there is genuine interest from Man U, it is realistic to ask for the same amount as they are wanting off us for Cleverley. If another team were to come in for him, I would expect £8mil to be optimistic for a 29 year old with 6 months left.

In the summer, I felt it important to keep Vlaar, given the uncertainty of our league position. Now I'm a little more confident, I would prefer to cash in than loose him for nothing next summer.

I think the third option of Vlaar signing a new contract here is dead in the water. I also have serious worries regarding Delph.

• Like 1

I think the best we can do regarding Vlaar will be to try and do some kind of exchange deal with United for cleverley - although I fear Cleverley may eventually bide his time and end up at Everton .

I don't see any hope of Vlaar staying at the club.

I just don't buy all this Vlaar to United stuff, it is cobblers in my view utter cobblers just as it was in the summer.

If Van Gaal wanted him he would have come in for him in the summer, given the way they splashed money around it really wouldn't have been difficult for them no matter how reluctant to sell we would have claimed.

But Van Gaal didn't come in for him and there is in my view knob all to suggest that he will in January.

The speculation is just 2+2 stuff based on their association together with the Dutch national side, his contract and their defensive difficulties.

I firmly believe Vlaar will go but not until the summer and not to United.

• Like 2

I just don't buy all this Vlaar to United stuff, it is cobblers in my view utter cobblers just as it was in the summer.

If Van Gaal wanted him he would have come in for him in the summer, given the way they splashed money around it really wouldn't have been difficult for them no matter how reluctant to sell we would have claimed.

But Van Gaal didn't come in for him and there is in my view knob all to suggest that he will in January.

The speculation is just 2+2 stuff based on their association together with the Dutch national side, his contract and their defensive difficulties.

I firmly believe Vlaar will go but not until the summer and not to United.

As long as it's not Southampton or any other non top 4 side then I'll be fine with that. Abroad would be the best option.

Imo better if went sooner with us getting cash for him. I know it is not popular view but i think we are better without him. Rest of defence take their own job more seriously and play better and quicker when he is not there. This isnt a reflection on his ability.

The past two and a half years says differently.

I wouldn't rather keep him and not get relegated.

I agree with that Rodders, relegation would cost us way more than any transfer fee we would receive for Vlaar. With our squad seemingly rotating use of the physio room we need all of the players we can get and Vlaar is one of our better ones.

Id blame a lack of match fitness though, He hasnt played since Hull game that was 6 or 7 weeks ago

Probably right. He looked laboured, but then it was either him or the prospect of the chuckle brothers.

Baker was looking decent again before he went off. I hope his injury isn't too serious, he has lept way ahead of Clark.

I know it is not popular view but i think we are better without him.

It's probably not a popular view because it is arguably the most incorrect opinion ever posted here anywhere.

Indeed. It is factually incorrect. If you think we're better without him you are wrong, simple as that. I haven't done an updated With Vlaar vs Without chart for a while but our opening 8 matches (W2, D 1, L1 with vs W1 L3 without) only make it more blindingly obvious how much we struggle when he isn't playing.

Edited by Mantis

Â