Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Anybody paying more than £50K a week for Vlaar is mental.  He isn't that good, and he won't play a full season.

I'd say it would be standard for an international regular. I bet Dawson's on similar at Hull.

There was talk of Roma and Lazio being interested a while back so like Trent wouldn't surprise me if he goes abroad.

Same as Mellberg?

Nah come off it. Mellberg bled claret and blue and I'm convinced he only left because O'Neill lost the plot, thought he was done and farmed him out wide. Inter or no Inter.

Mellberg was one of us. The day he left was a very sad day but he left with our blessing. I like Ron, he's a good player and I hope he stays, but I won't care about where he goes after, he won't have a special place in my heart. I'll say thanks Ron and instantly forget he was even here at all.

still cant believe he got moved to right back for Zat Knight  :lol:

Maybe Ron is fed up with the crappy football we play and being under constant pressure for 90 minutes?

he will probably also be retiring from Holland next then ;)

He hasn't had the pleasure of playing under Hiddink Mk II!!

I think he will stay. TBH United could do better than Vlaar. If he went he would just be warming the bench which wouldn't do his international career any good. Which is the only reason why other clubs are sniffing around on him. He is a good to decent defender in his late 20's with a history of injury problems. I would be happy for him to stay but I don't think he is as good as some other posters think. It is just the general crappyness he has to play with in Villa's defence in the last 2 seasons which make him look better than he is.

Twitter guff suggesting we're holding out for £12m from United for Vlaar.  :D

It's Man United so it's believable. 

I'll push Vlaar in his wheelchair to Manchester for that fee. 

I'll help.

12 Million !!

Excellent news

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/356643.html

Aston Villa are holding out for £12 million from Manchester United for Ron Vlaar ahead of any January move, club sources have told ESPN.

Vlaar was one of United manager Louis van Gaal's key defenders during the 2014 World Cup with the Netherlands, and the centre-back is eager to link up with his old international boss, having already agreed personal terms on a provisional basis.

The 29-year-old's contract is up at the end of the season, when he would be available on a free transfer, but that has not necessarily helped United's hand in negotiations.
Villa are aware that Van Gaal is eager to do business in January to address United's ongoing issues at the back, and that there is a paucity of top-level defenders available on the market.
United have appeared to lack leadership and organisation in defence following the departures of senior defenders Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra in the summer.
Although Vlaar would not be seen at the same level as primary targets, such as Borussia Dortmund's Mats Hummels, Van Gaal knows he can instantly slot in to the system while also providing an experienced voice and sense of authority.
As such, the Dutchman would represent a solid medium-term option who can address immediate problems.
Another name that has been mentioned at Old Trafford as a potential defensive recruitment is Ryan Shawcross. The 27-year-old English defender came through the ranks at United, before moving to Stoke City.
No actual movement has been made in that regard, but sources have told ESPN he is seen as an option.

A scouse guy who I work with reckons Liverpool are looking seriously at Vlaar - which would surprise me he doesn't fit with a typical Rodgers signing.

Quite,  as he doesnt play for Southampton

Â