Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ron-vlaar-fit-7617366

So, we haven't even begun contract talks with Vlaar.

It seems to me that the club is either:

A. Lying

B. have no intention of renewing his contract, is happy to sell him and is waiting for a bid.

C. negligent by not offering a new deal long before now

Rumours are that we are in a bit of a mess behind the scenes so it would not surprise me if it is C.

Rumours? I think it's fairly obvious!

Its not like we’ve been trying to tie up a fairly complicated foreign signing, involving third party ownership and lots of representatives or anything, is it?

Bloody hell, i guessed the Sanchez deal was difficult, but didn't realise the club had been working on it for months and months  !! However did they manage to deal with all the other player issues when the have been so focused on 1 deal. Hmmmm !

This quote from Lambert makes me sad

“I have a good rapport with Ron but I am not sure there is loyalty in football any more, we will have to wait and see, it is up to himself."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villas-paul-lambert-says-4051385#ixzz3ASPM8eel 

The question posed was will Vlaar show loyalty to Aston Villa as we gave him his chance?

He gave an honest answer to say I am not sure there is loyalty in football anymore, then said it is up to himself of whether he remains loyal or not.

He can't answer a question that really should have been asked to Vlaar of whether he will remain loyal.

Its the summer, the transfer window and we've lost and haven't replaced our Chief Exec, we are on a deadline to bring players in and currently trying to conclude a complex deal for a player in a vital position in our squad. Frankly there are other things more pressing than Vlaar's contract.

But surely it shouldn't get to a point where there are other things that are a lot more pressing.  We have 4 players who can sign a pre agreement with other clubs in just 4 months time.  One of them is our captain, one of them is our player of the year, one of them is an important player who has been here since a kid and the other is one of the most promising youth players we've ever produced.  I think it's quite shocking that sorting out their deals isn't a pressing matter.  We know from the Grealish thread that nothing has been started regarding him so think it's fair to say not much has happened with the others.

• Like 1

If Ron's having second thoughts about staying then the sooner he comes out and tells the club the better (obviously)

The least he can do is be honest and upfront and then we can move on to sorting a replacement

Maybe Southampton want Ron, maybe Ron wants Manchester United, maybe nothing.

I think the bigger question will be if we want Ron (Or for that matter Delph, Agbonlahor and even Jack Grealish) there's been nothing coming out of the club at all that suggests we aren't careering into the disaster that is watching half our squad leave for nothing over the next two years. For me, that's the biggest worry we have around the clubs 'for sale' status.

Ron is a test for us.

• Like 4

The thing is he might not want to sign a new deal at the moment but he might be loyal enough to stay for this season.

I would prefer this to be honest, give him time to access his options next summer and who knows we may have been taken over by then and be in a better position to offer him a better deal.

Maybe Southampton want Ron, maybe Ron wants Manchester United, maybe nothing.

I think the bigger question will be if we want Ron (Or for that matter Delph, Agbonlahor and even Jack Grealish) there's been nothing coming out of the club at all that suggests we aren't careering into the disaster that is watching half our squad leave for nothing over the next two years. For me, that's the biggest worry we have around the clubs 'for sale' status.

Ron is a test for us.

This is my fear with no money neither its gunna be terrible

The thing i don't get as well is if we can offer 4 year deals to new signings then why can't we offer deals to the current squad?

Apparently there are more pressing things to be done first? Read Trent's post at the top of the page which gives his take on things and Trent has been spot on with most of his information recently.

• Like 1

I think any time you let a player get to 18 months, you've left it too long and you're in trouble - once they get down to a year, you're no longer the favourite. I think Ron will stay, I think he'll sign with someone else in January and I think it'll be difficult for him to perform well in the second half of the season.

I don't think there are more urgent things at the moment than new contracts for these guys, I think they should all have been done last summer - contracts for the players with two years left are actually pretty urgent right now.

• Like 3

I think any time you let a player get to 18 months, you've left it too long and you're in trouble - once they get down to a year, you're no longer the favourite. I think Ron will stay, I think he'll sign with someone else in January and I think it'll be difficult for him to perform well in the second half of the season.

I don't think there are more urgent things at the moment than new contracts for these guys, I think they should all have been done last summer - contracts for the players with two years left are actually pretty urgent right now.

You also need to take into account can we actually afford them and do they actually want to stay. Vlaar will look at it and think, in 12months I can leave on a free and earn x amount. Delph is already one of the higher paid players at the club.

Â