Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

Somebody said we don't need a left back as a priority, I disagree. It is becoming more and more likely that we will not be playing with out and out wingers. The midfiled 4/5 will be narrow. Interchangable. Difficult to mark. It will be the fullbacks attacking down the flanks. Is Warnock the man for that job, we all know the answer is no. So just like the new right back situation with Lowton(with Herd and Eric as backup), we need a new, energetic fullback to bomb down the flanks into the empty space. So sign him up.

Second point, what is it with people talking about "he doesn't have prem league experience", therefore we shouldn't sign him. This really winds me up. Its rediculous. By this logic nobody who doesn't get brought through a Premier League Academy would every play in the prem. All newly promoted sides may as well give up, as most of their squad would not have Premier League experience. Tell that to Norwich and Swansea last year.

I say give the youngsters with potential from the lower leagues a chance. Players who have played in the lower leagues have match experience, which to my mind means they will adapt quicker than a youth team player who has sat on the bench for 3 season's or just play in Carling Cup fixtures.

Rant over, we do still need a centre back and a striker too. Happy days are coming back to Villa Park.

The only way players can get Premier League experience is by playing in the Premier League.

It's arrogant to think we're too good to give these players a chance and we should let lesser teams take the risk so we can sign them afterwards.

We are after young untried players? At the right price great but 6m isn't the right price.

That is probably why we according to the papers only have offered 3.5 mill.

IMO a LB isn't the top priority, a centre back or 2 is, however PL will get my backing as at least we are being linked to players even if in the case of this player he only has 1 season of lower league football to his name.

I am sure we will get the priorities also. But I think it is nice to buy some young and talented players to our RB and LB positions. I don't think we spend our entire budget on these players, so there will be more to come.

Yeah I read the reports DeepDish and at 3.5m for a club of our size this shouldn't be an issue, However I also read that Ipswich wanted 6m this imo is too much.

Unless we manage to get rid of one or two of the (hopefully more) I doubt we will be freely buying players due to the wages.

Don't get me wrong I have no complaints about Villa or PL, Like most of us I hated the season with "he who can't be named" in charge. This season is going to be much much better and I can't wait.

Looking at the fans reactions from Ipswich they seem very upset that he may be leaving. The local papers there say he has a great left foot, good at getting forward and is.....wait for it.....excellent at set pieces!!!! Sign him up !

Somebody said we don't need a left back as a priority, I disagree. It is becoming more and more likely that we will not be playing with out and out wingers. The midfiled 4/5 will be narrow. Interchangable. Difficult to mark. It will be the fullbacks attacking down the flanks. Is Warnock the man for that job, we all know the answer is no. So just like the new right back situation with Lowton(with Herd and Eric as backup), we need a new, energetic fullback to bomb down the flanks into the empty space. So sign him up.

Second point, what is it with people talking about "he doesn't have prem league experience", therefore we shouldn't sign him. This really winds me up. Its rediculous. By this logic nobody who doesn't get brought through a Premier League Academy would every play in the prem. All newly promoted sides may as well give up, as most of their squad would not have Premier League experience. Tell that to Norwich and Swansea last year.

I say give the youngsters with potential from the lower leagues a chance. Players who have played in the lower leagues have match experience, which to my mind means they will adapt quicker than a youth team player who has sat on the bench for 3 season's or just play in Carling Cup fixtures.

Rant over, we do still need a centre back and a striker too. Happy days are coming back to Villa Park.

It's all about opinions mate, I don't fully agree with yours about the need for another fullback over centre half (if that's your point). Also what make you think we will play without wingers? N'zogbia, Holman have featured in all pre season games so far. Personally I believe we will use the width of VP pitch.

I agree with your 2nd point, in fact it would be difficult to argue against it after all one of the best player to pull a Villa shirt on during my time following Villa was from lower leagues David Platt. It's great to know PL is hunting around as long as he doesn't just go for these type of players as I believe we need a mixture of the experience and untried.

It's all about opinions mate, I don't fully agree with yours about the need for another fullback over centre half (if that's your point). Also what make you think we will play without wingers? N'zogbia, Holman have featured in all pre season games so far. Personally I believe we will use the width of VP pitch.

I agree with your 2nd point, in fact it would be difficult to argue against it after all one of the best player to pull a Villa shirt on during my time following Villa was from lower leagues David Platt. It's great to know PL is hunting around as long as he doesn't just go for these type of players as I believe we need a mixture of the experience and untried.

Exactly - what have all these players got in common? Ian Wright, Stuart Pearce, David Platt, Shaun Teale, Tim Cahill....... Yes all lower division players given a chance in the top flight - and thats just to name a few off the top of my head......... Just think - there would have been no Ian Taylor if clubs didnt put faith in lower division talent.

The arrogance of premier league club fans is beyond me - thats all it is - they need to be seen to be spending billions on fancy names and I bet if you broke down all the long serving and top performing players over the last generation most are lower division players or home grown talent.

I heard that his real name is Aaron Cresswellinho and that he has plenty of PL experience because he watches match of the day every weekend. Hopefully that should put aside some people's fears....

Seano, cheers for the reply. I guess we probably agree on most things. It will be interesting to see if we play wingers or not. The impression from the pre-season reports are that the midfield 4 have been playing very narrow, which was why I'd presume the fullbacks provide the width. We will see. I love playing wide men who can cross a ball in, but if we are looking at playing possesion football (we can dream), we may need more players in a central area. Who knows. Thats the thing about management I guess, everyone will play slightly differently.

My comment about left back not being a priority was just that we need one, so signing a new LB was a priority, but agree, CB is of paramount importance.

We need I believe in list of priority.

CB

Striker

LB

?Winger if we play wide midfielders.

That is all.

Never seen him play, £3.5m is very pricey as per usual with any English talent., but who knows if he turns out to be as half as good as someone like Baines I'd be happy. What is important is that we make the right signings at both fullback positions though, as based on pre-season Lambert is putting big emphasis on them pushing forward when attacking.

Â